Re: Leigh on Wingate
I just can't let this version of events become the narrative.
When Leigh was appointed, people questioned:
1. The appointment process - this wasn't laid on Leigh, this was up to the directors;
2. His immediate signing using transfer fees of two of his Whyteleafe players - very fair to question, especially given how it turned out;
3. His statements/interviews at the time of the appointment - again fair, as at least one included an outright lie about his record at Whyteleafe, presumably a lie stated by someone who felt he had to exaggerate his previous performance. You might call that chippy.
People did not have a go at Leigh! I was at Hendon away and it was one of the best atmospheres home or away for many a year.
People started to question what was going on due to the 'revolving door' as you put it. This wasn't just a 'frustrating' experience for supporters; for me personally, and I'm sure others, it was the worst few months I have EVER had watching K's. That was down to the manager and the manager alone.
Coming into this season, there was expectation for two reasons: firstly, we have a big budget, big enough to sign players from under the noses of our rivals; secondly, the manager himself was talking up our chances. So fans were right, and are right, to have high expectations this season.
Giving him credit for "fixing" the Paul Dale situation is ridiculous. This wasn't just an issue with a coach not getting instructions across to players; in Leigh's own words it means we "wasted" pre-season. How on earth can you waste pre-season when you've written off the entire previous season preparing for this one? I can't give him credit for 'fixing' it, because we won't get the points back we dropped in August and September, and we won't get the money back from our early FA Cup exit either.
Where I do agree he gets a lot of credit is the appointment of Jamie Lawrence, and our current run of form. He signed excellent wingers, moved to 4-4-2, and the team has a clear pattern of play. Well done to him and long may it continue. He also has an excellent contacts book, and that's very useful at this level, provided it's used when needed, not every week.
As it stands I still think he's been more negative than positive, but OF COURSE I do not wish him to fail. I desperately want him to succeed, and I'd love nothing more than to be proven totally wrong. But he has a LONG way to go this season to get himself in credit in my book.
Edited by Alastair at 18:16:18 on 21st November 2018
9 people 3 people
Next article in this thread: Re: Leigh on Wingate by reximus21/11/2018 20:05Wed Nov 21 20:05:47 2018
- Leigh on Wingate by BedfordshireK21/11/2018 00:01Wed Nov 21 00:01:25 2018 6 people 1 personview thread
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by supahoops721/11/2018 06:11Wed Nov 21 06:11:35 2018 3 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Alastair21/11/2018 09:09Wed Nov 21 09:09:06 2018 5 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Iang21/11/2018 12:38Wed Nov 21 12:38:40 2018 5 people 1 person
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by MC21/11/2018 13:23Wed Nov 21 13:23:30 2018 4 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Taimour21/11/2018 13:37Wed Nov 21 13:37:50 2018 7 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by a krinkly21/11/2018 17:32Wed Nov 21 17:32:52 2018 5 people 1 person
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by MC22/11/2018 20:00Thu Nov 22 20:00:40 2018 5 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by a krinkly22/11/2018 21:00Thu Nov 22 21:00:17 2018 3 people 5 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by MC23/11/2018 10:22Fri Nov 23 10:22:46 2018 8 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Filipo23/11/2018 11:08Fri Nov 23 11:08:33 2018 5 people 1 person
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Ohdear24/11/2018 20:33Sat Nov 24 20:33:05 2018 4 people 2 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Alastair21/11/2018 18:12Wed Nov 21 18:12:54 2018 9 people 3 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by reximus21/11/2018 20:05Wed Nov 21 20:05:47 2018 1 person 1 person
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by a krinkly21/11/2018 20:17Wed Nov 21 20:17:29 2018 3 people 1 person
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by reximus21/11/2018 20:24Wed Nov 21 20:24:14 2018 1 person 1 person
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Iang21/11/2018 18:50Wed Nov 21 18:50:22 2018 7 people 1 person
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Alastair21/11/2018 19:25Wed Nov 21 19:25:39 2018 1 person
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Ohdear21/11/2018 19:07Wed Nov 21 19:07:16 2018 7 people 4 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Filipo21/11/2018 20:09Wed Nov 21 20:09:29 2018 2 people 3 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Ohdear22/11/2018 06:54Thu Nov 22 06:54:16 2018 1 person
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by BedfordshireK21/11/2018 13:45Wed Nov 21 13:45:34 2018 5 people 2 people
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by Iang21/11/2018 13:27Wed Nov 21 13:27:41 2018 1 person
- Re: Leigh on Wingate by OldSchoolKs 21/11/2018 09:20Wed Nov 21 09:20:19 2018 1 person
- One girt big pat on the back.... by a krinkly21/11/2018 09:30Wed Nov 21 09:30:49 2018 4 people
- Girtcha :-) by Iang21/11/2018 13:28Wed Nov 21 13:28:26 2018 1 person