ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Where to next! by a krinklyToday 00:31Today at 00:31:41view thread

Oldest article: Leatherhead goals by Taimour19/11/2018 21:30Mon Nov 19 21:30:46 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Freddie Starr by a krinkly10/5 08:42Fri May 10 08:42:49 2019view thread

Re: Season Tickets

By Morgs9/5 18:20Thu May 9 18:20:32 2019In response to Re: Season Tickets

Views: 8978

Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, but...
The thing about half season tickets and memberships and "non-standard" schemes is that they take time and £££ to set-up and administer - and the setting-up & administration is done by unpaid volunteers at this level.
Printing various tickets and training people who are manning turnstiles - as unpaid volunteers - also takes time and £££.

The Sheilas, W**s and P******s code follows the more traditional "football" set up in Australia.
When I lived Down Under, even the biggest VFL (as was, showing my age!) Aussie Rules clubs had memberships not too far into five figures.
For "membership" read "season ticket holder" - bog standard.
Same went for the NSWRL clubs - whose gates haven't gone up a hell of a lot in the intervening 30 years, unlike the Aussie Rules clubs.
Now, "sexy-again Richmond" - who hadn't had a dinner for 30+ years - have broken the 100,000 barrier. The traditionally sexy Melbourne clubs are at 60,000 or 70,000, as are West Coast, Sydney & Adelaide.
In the NRL, members usually number in the high teens or low twenty thousands, though Brisbane might be close to double that.
At all of these, there are bewildering varieties of "membership."
Some have maybe 4 match tickets.
"Country" memberships, for those out of the state capital, may have a few more - recognising that upstate fans won't be able to make it to Thursday or Friday night TV games or late starts on Sunday.
Some don't even have tickets: overseas memberships might be a club TV subscription, a scarf and a tailored version of Kingstonian Ted.

Admission by all of these schemes needs to be monitored. I assume it's done mainly electronically nowadays: either by a scanning hole in an unmanned turnstile or a bloke with a scanner shooting a beam at a barcode on a ticket.

When I had a season ticket at a Football League club in the early-Noughties (almost never went, just local loyalty to where I'm sort of from originally) the buggers sent out a wallet with 23 high-quality, old-style, 3" x 9", pre-printed match tickets, with a basic holograph security mark just after the fixtures came out. By the mid Noughties, the season ticket was a simple smartcard that was scanned at the turnstile.

Almost ANY innovative offer will get SOME additional punters through the turnstiles: half season tickets, bundles of matches, deals for Football League ST holders, deals for various public servants, buy-two-get-one-free, bring a mate for £1, women / trannies / dwarves / Zoroastrians / Klingon-speakers / hermaphrodites go free - they'll all pull-in somebody.
Such schemes need to be marketed and monitored though.
A simple, standard, season ticket card is easy to check.

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Next article in this thread: Re: Season Tickets by a krinkly9/5 21:11Thu May 9 21:11:40 2019

Previous thread: Beer Mats by Olde School Ks9/5 10:02Thu May 9 10:02:03 2019view thread