ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Almost The Nations Grandfather by Haver of thoughtsYesterday 23:32Yesterday at 23:32:36view thread

Oldest article: a feature on K's (and Ted) by Taimour19/11/2019 14:31Tue Nov 19 14:31:34 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Zoooooooooom....! - UPDATED Mon 4th May by www.kingstonian.com4/5/2020 18:08Mon May 4 18:08:18 2020view thread

Blast from the past 11

By Butler23/4/2020 16:42Thu Apr 23 16:42:35 2020In response to Blast from the past 10

Views: 4580

Today’s blast from the past is one of my personal favourite ever players. Always gave his all on the pitch and a really top bloke off the pitch too. None other then Simon Huckle.

Best K’s memory: No question – winning the league title in 08/09. The team Dowse assembled that season just clicked. It pretty much picked itself most weeks, a genuine top group of lads.

Best player you played with: A fair few to choose from to be fair that I played with over the years. Two top keepers in Luke Garrard and Rob Tolfrey. Top competitors at the back like Thommo, who would literally go through brick walls. Gary Mac and Hutch were proper defenders too. Midfield partners like Liam, Tommy and Mo Harkin – quality players who I just did the running for. Bobby Traynor - immense goalscorer! Lodgey – match winner on his day. CWD – a proper presence.
But if pushed I’d have to say Max Hustwick. Macca had pace, aerial ability, undeniable top quality in his use of the ball and rarely got done for strength – despite not looking like he had a muscle on him. Nicked a goal now and then too. Great player and a hilarious bloke as well.

Worst player you played with: Wouldn’t like to say a worst player, we did have some pretty poor trialists at times. I remember one lad coming down and Dowse asking his name in the middle of the session. I didn’t have a clue but convinced Dowse his name was Steve. The next 10 minutes of the session were amusing watching Dowse as he struggled to get any reaction when calling “Steve’s” name. Never saw the lad again.

Worst Trainer: Has to be Lodgey, no question. Outstanding player and could win a game on his own, case in point - Braintree FA Cup Home 4-0 win – Deano scores all 4!. But 75% of the time, at least, had zero interest in training. I’m sure he won’t mind me saying that.

Favourite K’s song: There were so many. You lot are unbelievably inventive to the extent where I hear certain songs now and I start singing the versions you produced, “Oooh Carl Wilson Denis” for example. Super, Super Bob sticks in my mind, but I’m going to say my song though, Sii, Sii, Siiimon Huckle, simply so that I can commend Rex on that epic falsetto he used to crack out!

Most memorable game: Two games for me – both from the Championship winning season, the 2-0 home game against Cray Wanderers was massive. We knew a win pretty much secured the title. Cray were fierce competition that year and Dowse/Hamsey really got the boys fired up. I enjoyed bagging the first goal in that game too. The atmosphere was quality.
We topped that off coming from behind to beat Dulwich 2-1 at home the following week. Brilliant scenes after the match both on the pitch and in the dressing room. Great times.

Favourite K’s fan: Aside from my kids, it’s impossible to pick out any one individual – you were always an amazing bunch. The fans make any club and Kingstonian is fortunate to have you all.

Best Memory of K’s fans: Sorry to relate to the league title win again but this is a given. Special moment to have my kids on the pitch at the end with me amongst everyone else joining in the celebrations while Luke lifted the trophy. Memorable times.
Comedy followed that in the dressing room when we introduced Tim Wells to the ice bath bless him.

Favourite goal I scored: Can’t say it’s a favourite because we lost 4-3 to Horsham but one I’ll always remember was bending Jack MacLeod’s pass into the top corner from 30 yards to bring the game level at 3-3. I’d cut my chin open about 10 mins earlier and Jamie had patched me up with one hell of a bandage! I looked ridiculous. I don’t know what I was thinking hitting it from there either! I seem to remember Paul Olima heading over from a yard out to equalise again in the final minute…
My favourite goal in terms of importance was the first goal in that 2-0 win vs Cray at home in front of you lot. Quite enjoyed scoring from almost the half way line at Sutton too

Random player story: Adam Thompson is the only player I’ve ever seen, or known, to be competitive (or stupid) enough to execute an overhead kick in the dying seconds of a 5-a-side training game in a school sports hall! Mind.blown.

Message to K’s fans: Just a huge thank you. I really enjoyed my time at K’s and it was a pleasure to give everything I had for the club during my 6 years or so playing at Kingsmeadow. Keep positive! The real good times will return! Thanks for the questions Butz! Take care all!

reply to this article | return to the front page

8 people like this 8 people   

Next article in this thread: Re: Blast from the past 11 by reximus23/4/2020 19:38Thu Apr 23 19:38:09 2020

Previous thread: Grier's Guide to the 2010-11 Season by www.kingstonian.com3/5/2020 14:18Sun May 3 14:18:28 2020view thread