Thanks again Taimour, love Pitch'.
For those interested in the apostrophe debate, the full transcript & justification of why we still carry it is below. I'd also like to give an additional shout out to RichardNW and his site /www.kingstonianhistory.co.uk/ - this informed a lot of the research.
The football club has been referred to as “Kingstonians” well before even the ‘split’ that created a club called “Old Kingstonians”. For example, a Surrey Comet match report from early 1894, when the official club name was “Kingston-on-Thames” (and pre-dating Old Kingstonians by some 14-15 years), opens “The Kingstonians were seen at their best on Saturday”. This wasn’t a one-off; evidence can be found in the Kingston Express, also referring to us as “The Kingstonians” in their 1893 reports. This was all within months of the new Kingston-On-Thames being formed as an attempted amalgamation of all senior association sides in Kingston at the time: the new club merged Kingston Wanderers (previously Saxons (previously Kingston & Surbiton YMCA)) with elements from The East Surrey Regiment (Kingston), Middle Mill and Malden (despite these latter three all officially falling out of the merger, personnel from each were to form part of the new club) to form what was meant to be a single club for all Kingstonians to get behind.
From 1908 though, during the ‘split’ years, “Kingstonians” was actually part of our official name (for half the club) as Kingston On Thames vied with Old Kingstonians – commonly abbreviated to “O.K.’s” or “O.K’s”: the earliest iterations of a “K’s” nickname – and grammatically correct abbreviations using apostrophes.
Following cessation of the war and the subsequent re-merger of the two clubs in 1919, despite the new official club name being “Kingstonian”, the club was commonly referred to as “Kingstonians” – the match report of our very first game as Kingstonian called us Kingstonians and references to “Kingstonians” outnumbering those of “Kingstonian” across the Surrey Advertiser and Surrey Comet can be seen for years. This has continued, albeit not quite to the same extent, until the present day.
Many K’s fans take exception to being called Kingstonians, but we should embrace it – it is our heritage. Kingstonian has been our club name officially since 1919, but as followers or representatives of the club we are all Kingstonians and always have been – even before there was a split club called “Old Kingstonians”.
With regards to the apostrophe within K’s, it is sound to keep it both from a historical and grammatical sense. “K’s” (with an apostrophe) pre-dates “Kingstonian”. K’s is not an abbreviation of Kingstonian, it is in itself an abbreviation of “O.K’s”, which grammatically correctly used the apostrophe. You could argue that we should add an apostrophe to represent the dropped “O”, but that would do a disservice to the united club that came together in 1919. The present day “K’s” (with apostrophe) represents that we are all Kingstonians (for which the apostrophe is grammatically correct) but also links our apostrophised nickname back to it’s original 19th and early 20th century origins – pre-dating “Kingstonian”.
The end. COYK's.
6 people 1 person
Next article in this thread: Re: The apostrophe by reximus17/6 11:48Wed Jun 17 11:48:45 2020
- WIAO Ep 9: Geoff Pitcher by Taimour16/6 22:35Tue Jun 16 22:35:06 2020 4 peopleview thread
- Re: WIAO Ep 9: Geoff Pitcher by Butler17/6 14:57Wed Jun 17 14:57:34 2020
- Re: WIAO Ep 9: Geoff Pitcher by Taimour18/6 09:34Thu Jun 18 09:34:41 2020 1 person
- The apostrophe by ollie17/6 08:58Wed Jun 17 08:58:14 2020 6 people 1 person
- Re: The apostrophe by reximus17/6 11:48Wed Jun 17 11:48:45 2020 2 people 6 people
- Re: The apostrophe by Paddy17/6 15:52Wed Jun 17 15:52:42 2020 4 people
- Re: The apostrophe by K's196017/6 16:36Wed Jun 17 16:36:42 2020 2 people 1 person
- Re: The apostrophe by a krinkly17/6 17:05Wed Jun 17 17:05:18 2020 1 person
- Re: The apostrophe by K's196017/6 18:43Wed Jun 17 18:43:54 2020
- Re: The apostrophe by Peter Borrett17/6 17:30Wed Jun 17 17:30:18 2020 3 people
- Re: The apostrophe by a krinkly17/6 18:33Wed Jun 17 18:33:34 2020 2 people
- Re: The apostrophe by Iang17/6 12:46Wed Jun 17 12:46:51 2020 2 people 2 people
- Re: The apostrophe by Max Hustwick Teenage Fan Club17/6 13:42Wed Jun 17 13:42:24 2020 1 person 2 people
- Re: The apostrophe by a krinkly17/6 09:28Wed Jun 17 09:28:43 2020 6 people 2 people