ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: New Keeper For Ambers by Football Web PagesToday 09:33Today at 09:33:10view thread

Oldest article: DARTFORD AWAY by Mattcarlin16/10/2019 22:37Wed Oct 16 22:37:11 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Bowers and Pitsea game postponed by www.kingstonian.com16/10 15:14Fri Oct 16 15:14:48 2020view thread

Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet

By Butler12/10 10:40Mon Oct 12 10:40:47 2020In response to Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet

Views: 629

Great stuff Murph. Yeah yesterday went really well and I’m more then pleased with the outcome. It was a very entertaining game that seemed to be enjoyed by all, especially the players. The sun was shining and a fair bit of money was raised for Fossil’s chosen charity so overall I’d say that was a result.

The game finished 3-3 and was eventually won 6-5 on penalties by the 2009 team. I honestly thought the players would have treated this game as a walk in the park, a friendly kick about with old friends. I couldn’t have been more wrong! It was a highly competitive match and even amongst the on field banter it was clear from the start that both teams were playing to win.

You could tell what kind of game it was going to be very early on as Tony Reid and Adam Thompson enjoyed a playful tussle along the touch line which resulted in Reidy going to ground and dragging Thommo down with him by the waistband of his shorts. That pretty much set the tone for the afternoon really, when they were on the ball they were playing to win and off the ball there was a light hearted ribbing of their opponents.

It was the 09 team broke who the deadlock through a superbly hit free kick from Tommy Williams. The 06 team responded with an equally good free kick of their own struck by that man Martyn Lee, who else?! Luckily Ollie Underwood has captured both free kicks on film, they’re definitely worth a watch! It was the 09 team that struck again next through Dean Lodge to make it 2-1 although before you knew it, Tony Reid had levelled the score once again. Just as we thought we were heading to the break with the scores tied the ref blew up for a penalty which Lee confidently converted with the last kick of the half to make it 3-2 to the 06 K’s.

The second half saw less of the jokey side of things and both teams played some really good football in a bid to get their hands on the prestigious silverware. Just the one goal in the second half from (super) Bobby Traynor to level the scores once again, this time a powerful strike from outside the box, smashing into the top corner. Again caught on film! There was also a penalty incident for the 06 team which Martyn has asked me not to go on about. But when all was said and done, I think a draw was a fair result in the end however someone had to win and despite calls from Scott Corbett for 10 mins a half extra time it went straight to penalties. At this point I was setting up the presentation table so didn’t pay as much attention to the pens to give you a detailed account but again I know Ollie recorded them so I’ll enjoy watching them back later.

I’d like to thank you everyone that supported the event yesterday by coming to the game, buying a programme and kindly donating their money to cancer research. I’d also like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone that made the game possible particularly Rex, John Bangs and John Mac. Without the help of those 3 individuals the day would not have been the success that it was so seriously guys thank you for everything. Also I need to say a massive big up to Ollie Underwood who spent the whole game going up and down the touch line capturing the action on his phone. Despite me telling him several times to chill out and watch the game that boy was on a mission to get as many pics and videos as he could which I’m sure we all appreciate.

A number of players approached me after the game to say how much they enjoyed the day and asked me to set up a rematch in the summer. Watch this space.

reply to this article | return to the front page

10 people like this 10 people   

Next article in this thread: Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet by John Bangs12/10 13:33Mon Oct 12 13:33:28 2020

Previous thread: Update from our COVID-19 Officer by www.kingstonian.com15/10 15:48Thu Oct 15 15:48:49 2020view thread