Re: Proof they live on another planet?
Both arguments are sound - by purely cutting wages and doing nothing else the tax take suffers but the holding company gains. This might be OK (part of the counter argument) if the holding company diverts all saved money to other employees / enterprises that might have otherwise been in significant trouble, plus greater profits from reduced wages might equate to some extra corporation tax, but largely my opinion is the holding company and beneficiaries of it would be the winners from a pure wages cut.
If however a wage cut is diverted directly towards (for example) the NHS then it would get around some of the issues above, but again a lot would be robbing Peter to pay Paul as both income tax and corporation tax would go down. Plus, I don't even think there is a mechanism for all this anyway.
So, you might argue that the most 'moral' thing to do would be for footballers to donate money AFTER TAX, either directly to the NHS (if there is a mechanism for this), or to directly impacted employees / enterprises, or to any other charitable cause available at this time. Which, in the most part, I guess a lot are already doing. Which leads me nicely to coming round to your long time view of social media. It does lots of good, but this recent scapegoating of footballers is another example of bad, IMO, stirring up hatred amongst people that doesn't need to be there, especially at times like these. Remind people of their moral and civil obligations, yes, but then hope your sound arguments work with their own consciences.
Edited by ollie at 09:36:05 on 7th April 2020
- Proof they live on another planet? by a krinkly7/4/2020 09:06Tue Apr 7 09:06:13 2020 1 personview thread
- Re: Proof they live on another planet? by Iang7/4/2020 09:49Tue Apr 7 09:49:23 2020 2 people
- Re: Proof they live on another planet? by Olde School Ks7/4/2020 10:26Tue Apr 7 10:26:28 2020
- Re: Proof they live on another planet? by Iang7/4/2020 10:36Tue Apr 7 10:36:12 2020
- Re: Proof they live on another planet? by Olde School Ks7/4/2020 09:40Tue Apr 7 09:40:36 2020 1 person
- Re: Proof they live on another planet? by Suom Ynona7/4/2020 09:10Tue Apr 7 09:10:08 2020 1 person
- Re: Proof they live on another planet? by a krinkly7/4/2020 09:14Tue Apr 7 09:14:02 2020 1 person
- Re: Proof they live on another planet? by ollie7/4/2020 09:31Tue Apr 7 09:31:32 2020 2 people
- Re: Proof they live on another planet? by reximus7/4/2020 09:45Tue Apr 7 09:45:37 2020 2 people