Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet
Yesterday topped off a great weekend for the club, three hard earned points against Hornchurch on Saturday and a fantastic event on Sunday for a great cause and in memory of a great Ks fan.
The past few weeks in particular have thrown a number of obstacles in getting the game on, right up until Saturday with issues around kits and referees. Luckily with so many good people at the heart of our club these issues were easily resolved and even the late change in venue worked in our favour.
The day itself involved an early start, to meet and greet both sets of players with many club legends amongst them. Scott Corbett who not only won the Surrey Senior cup at a difficult time for the club counts an FA trophy win and Isthmian Premier title in his medal collection. Bashiru Alimi who first played for the club in 2001 and returned for a few seasons under Alan Dowson from 2009 was also present in the 2006 team. Liam Collins also made his debut for the club in 2001 and returned in the 2008/2009 to win the Isthmian South. These players have a long standing affiliation with the club and it was great to see them taking part.
Both team sheets contained so many players who even in short spells for the club gained iconic statuses including Martyn Lee and Tony Reid. Martyn Lee’s sweet left foot and Tony Reid’s joker antics reminding us once again why! But it was that whole 2006 SSC winning team in the face of resistance and 3000 angry AFC Wimbledon of Kingston fans that will be remembered for the legends that they are.
Similarly the 2009 league winners, packed with their own characters and Kingstonian legends were the favourites for this match and although they won eventually on penalties, it was no easy game as Butler mentions.
But it wasn’t just about the football match which was entertaining in its own right. There was a huge amount of love and respect between both teams, many had played against or with each other; the non league playing circuit is a big network of friends after all. That love was also demonstrated between the fans and the players and between managers past and present although Hayden was in wind up mode! Ollie got a great picture of four past and present managers (Hayden, Dowse, Kim and Tommy), all there to support the great cause and make it a day to remember.
I would therefore also like to thank everyone who made the day possible, Butler, the three Johns, Yirios, all the players and officials, Colliers Wood and everyone who attended.
What a lovely club we are!
- Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet by Mark Murphy11/10/2020 21:25Sun Oct 11 21:25:52 2020 17 peopleview thread
- Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet by reximus16/10/2020 18:19Fri Oct 16 18:19:27 2020 4 people
- Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet by Butler12/10/2020 10:40Mon Oct 12 10:40:47 2020 10 people
- Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet by John Bangs12/10/2020 13:33Mon Oct 12 13:33:28 2020 7 people
- Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet by Filipo12/10/2020 11:32Mon Oct 12 11:32:37 2020 8 people
- Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet by reximus12/10/2020 11:32Mon Oct 12 11:32:02 2020 7 people
- Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet by Olde School Ks12/10/2020 08:32Mon Oct 12 08:32:37 2020 4 people
- Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet by Taimour12/10/2020 09:21Mon Oct 12 09:21:40 2020 6 people