ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: BetVictor Isthmian Premier Division results by Football Web PagesToday 21:41Today at 21:41:16view thread

Oldest article: Saturday's match v Burgess Hill Town by www.kingstonian.com9/11/2018 12:00Fri Nov 9 12:00:34 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Jamie Lawrence on Enfield by BedfordshireK25/11/2018 11:25Sun Nov 25 11:25:53 2018view thread

Leigh on Wingate

By BedfordshireK21/11/2018 00:01Wed Nov 21 00:01:25 2018

Views: 835

reply to this article | return to the front page

6 people like this 6 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Re: Leigh on Wingate

By supahoops721/11/2018 06:11Wed Nov 21 06:11:35 2018In response to Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 796

Not being sarcastic, but everything Leigh mentioned
regards tactics was pretty much spot on, for a change.
I’m also grateful he explained the ‘rotation & resting’
process and that he is able to implement that due to
the depth and quality in the squad. Praise due for getting
Alfie’s loan extended for another month and praise due
indeed for his part in our recent run of excellent form.
Leigh was still a bit ‘tetchy’ here and there in the interview,
but is due no small pat on the back IMO.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Alastair21/11/2018 09:09Wed Nov 21 09:09:06 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 774

Ha ha - yeah. He remains a strange bloke on camera...why still so chippy after a 4-0 win?

But he has got a LOT right recently and credit to him for that. He needs to take a step back, recognise what he's got right, give himself an earned pat on the back and look to repeat the process between now and the end of the season. Let's not rip this up and start again, FFS.

5 people like this 5 people   

By Iang21/11/2018 12:38Wed Nov 21 12:38:40 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 690

Perhaps its the recollection of the banner and horrendous songs in the Autumn and the "its the new coach if we win - his fault if we lose" opinions of some . When forced into a bunker it takes a while to feel comfortable and relax into the job - and feel wanted. Just my take.

Onwards and indeed upwards - Can't wait until 1/12/18 for my next game - Cmon U Ks

5 people like this 5 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By MC21/11/2018 13:23Wed Nov 21 13:23:30 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 719

We weren't playing crap because the fans were moaning - the fans were moaning because we were playing crap.

It's obviously chicken and egg, and a bad vibe can affect the players, sure. But the fans weren't moaning for no reason, were they?

4 people like this 4 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)21/11/2018 13:37Wed Nov 21 13:37:50 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 698

also we were repeatedly told there was nothing structurally wrong ("just needs time" etc) but Paul Dale left and the improvement was dramatic. now, we can have an argument about correlation not being causation but Dynan has himself admitted to getting pre-season "wrong" and needing to change both formation, training and key personnel after the campaign had started. Credit to him for doing that - but there WAS something going badly wrong in August and September and fans were right to be worried. we also had no basis upon which to believe Dynan knew what he was doing, in the absence of performances or results over a 10-month period. the recent run has assuaged those fears. as to vocal complaints at games, this is a football club, passions run high, people care, managers are lightning rods - but no one stopped supporting the players.

the infamous Manchester United banner - "3 years and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie" - became a museum piece after twenty trophy-laden years. let's hope the "Ta ra Dynan" bedsheet is triumphantly billowing in the Tolworth breeze at the end of this season when we've won promotion...

7 people like this 7 people   

By a krinkly21/11/2018 17:32Wed Nov 21 17:32:52 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 662

I see it like this, Leigh came to the club with a vision of what he wanted to create, one he must have obviously sold to the board and some of the players he recruited. From the off there were some fans both on the forum and and at matches who gave him a hard time. 'No experience, no contacts, pub level expertise etc.'

Others like myself said give him a chance to see what he do, and there were times some effective footy was being played, Hendon away stands out. What followed 'the revolving door' was frustrating to watch but by the end of the season it looked like things could start coming together after all.

The build up to this season created a huge expectation that soon fizzled out, why? Well in hindsight it seems we had a coach who could not empathize with the players resulting in a series of underperformance matches that drove everyone to frustration. That is now fixed BY LEIGH, surely knowbody thinks the changes in coaching were forced on him. We have a number of excellent loanees brought to the club BY LEIGH. So far from being the no contacts no hoper some seemed eager to paint him as, Leigh has proved to rather well connected after all.

If he still seems reticent to open up perhaps that has something to do with the spiteful treatment he's received from some quarters who seem to almost wish him to fail whatever he achieves, why?

By MC22/11/2018 20:00Thu Nov 22 20:00:40 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 532

"If he still seems reticent to open up perhaps that has something to do with the spiteful treatment he's received from some quarters who seem to almost wish him to fail whatever he achieves, why?"

Completely disagree with this. No-one wants him to fail. Even those who think he's an arse clearly want Ks to succeed more than they want someone they think is an arse to fail.

If you disagree with the criticism, fair enough. You make some reasonable points in his defence. But let's not have this idea that anyone doesn't want him to turn it around and get Ks up the table, it's a nonsense

5 people like this 5 people   

By a krinkly22/11/2018 21:00Thu Nov 22 21:00:17 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 535

So 'If K's win it's because of the coach, if they lose it's because of the manager', is a figment of the imagination is it?

Look up the definitions of prejudice.

3 people like this 3 people   5 people dislike this 5 people

By MC23/11/2018 10:22Fri Nov 23 10:22:46 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 520

Prejudice?

Over a year-long period the manager has consistently been somewhat...underwhelming...in terms of selection and tactics. Switching between systems to little effect, bringing in two or three rounds of players that haven't performed, jettisoning exciting/creative players despite them looking good.

So that's the impression we have of the manager.

Since the assistant came in, the players have spoken about how good he's been, and our results have turned around almost immediately.

So that's the impression we have of the assistant.

And therefore - and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with this view - it's not entirely surprising that people attribute positive things to the guy who has had a good impact, and negative things to the guy who has got a lot of stuff wrong, is it?

Not sure whether it's 'prejudice', or just a reasonable assessment of the evidence we have.

To be honest I don't even know why you're still banging on about this. The point wasn't even a dig at the manager. The point was just that it's pretty poor form for you to suggest people are desperate to fail when everyone who comes along to Ks wants us to win.

Edited by MC at 10:23:55 on 23rd November 2018

8 people like this 8 people   

By Filipo23/11/2018 11:08Fri Nov 23 11:08:33 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 493

I wouldn’t even worry about his opinion. He flip flops around depending on the flavour of the month. It was only recently he made a big point about not putting into the boost the budget scheme because of how poor we had been at the time.

As fans we had to speak out because things were not right. I am glad the manager took note and acted. That doesn’t mean we are easily able to forget a number of events and actions over the past year. It does however mean we can all move forward and continue to get behind the team as we always have done.

By Ohdear (Ksuals)24/11/2018 20:33Sat Nov 24 20:33:05 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 454

Seems that a few fans have invested so much time and effort writing Dynan off they can't let go.
They were absolutely certain if he was not sacked last season Ks would go down.
They were absolutely certain that this season we would achieve nothing while he stayed at the club.
One certainly wrong.
Another looking wrong.

4 people like this 4 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Alastair21/11/2018 18:12Wed Nov 21 18:12:54 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 643

I just can't let this version of events become the narrative.

When Leigh was appointed, people questioned:
1. The appointment process - this wasn't laid on Leigh, this was up to the directors;
2. His immediate signing using transfer fees of two of his Whyteleafe players - very fair to question, especially given how it turned out;
3. His statements/interviews at the time of the appointment - again fair, as at least one included an outright lie about his record at Whyteleafe, presumably a lie stated by someone who felt he had to exaggerate his previous performance. You might call that chippy.

People did not have a go at Leigh! I was at Hendon away and it was one of the best atmospheres home or away for many a year.

People started to question what was going on due to the 'revolving door' as you put it. This wasn't just a 'frustrating' experience for supporters; for me personally, and I'm sure others, it was the worst few months I have EVER had watching K's. That was down to the manager and the manager alone.

Coming into this season, there was expectation for two reasons: firstly, we have a big budget, big enough to sign players from under the noses of our rivals; secondly, the manager himself was talking up our chances. So fans were right, and are right, to have high expectations this season.

Giving him credit for "fixing" the Paul Dale situation is ridiculous. This wasn't just an issue with a coach not getting instructions across to players; in Leigh's own words it means we "wasted" pre-season. How on earth can you waste pre-season when you've written off the entire previous season preparing for this one? I can't give him credit for 'fixing' it, because we won't get the points back we dropped in August and September, and we won't get the money back from our early FA Cup exit either.

Where I do agree he gets a lot of credit is the appointment of Jamie Lawrence, and our current run of form. He signed excellent wingers, moved to 4-4-2, and the team has a clear pattern of play. Well done to him and long may it continue. He also has an excellent contacts book, and that's very useful at this level, provided it's used when needed, not every week.

As it stands I still think he's been more negative than positive, but OF COURSE I do not wish him to fail. I desperately want him to succeed, and I'd love nothing more than to be proven totally wrong. But he has a LONG way to go this season to get himself in credit in my book.

Edited by Alastair at 18:16:18 on 21st November 2018

9 people like this 9 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By reximus21/11/2018 20:05Wed Nov 21 20:05:47 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 598

Well said, Alistair.

Just a short contribution to the issue of "Jamie Lawrence replacing Paul Dale solved our problems": let's not pretend that Paul Dale was the problem. This from our own website at the time:

"Paul Dale has been an integral part to the Army's footballing success over the past four seasons, overseeing player development and nurturing the Army U23s into the Army Elite Senior Squad. He was also an influential part of the Tooting and Mitcham United staff that won the London Senior Cup and Isthmian League South in 2016-17. In 2017-18, he led the Aldershot Town U19s to league success and the Army U23s to their third Inter Services Championship."

rex

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By a krinkly21/11/2018 20:17Wed Nov 21 20:17:29 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 593

Depends on who at K's you talk to.

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By reximus21/11/2018 20:24Wed Nov 21 20:24:14 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 603

Depends on who at K's you talk to.

What on earth do you mean? Paul's record of success elsewhere does NOT depend on who you talk to.

rex

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Iang21/11/2018 18:50Wed Nov 21 18:50:22 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 615

"People did not have a go at Leigh" have we set our standards so low that what we saw at the early home games was not having a go - a pre made banner and song after song with aggression and expletives aimed at the man only yards away. What do we ,do hound every failure managing this club out in the future - coz there's been a few of them in the past - I've ever seen anything like that. Our fans are inventive and among the best at this level and I don't go enough to pass too much judgement but I can interpret behaviour.

The rest looks forensic and accurate but it is about his mood in the interviews - an after dinner speaker ( unlike his predecessor ) he is not and never will be - but he may just take us up. And I , like you by
the sounds of it, will doff our hats and say we were wrong. But if he fails and gets moved on can we have a bit more grace ( that's rich I hear coming from my fellow royal enclosurers who have the misfortune to stand within earshot of me).

Up the Ks

7 people like this 7 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Alastair21/11/2018 19:25Wed Nov 21 19:25:39 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 594

I meant people didn't have a go at him when he arrived, as krinkly said they did.

Yes, people certainly did this season - sorry for any confusion.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Ohdear (Ksuals)21/11/2018 19:07Wed Nov 21 19:07:16 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 604

Nobody was forced into either backing or calling for the sacking of the manager.
It is ones own choice how to express them,but don't give that old tosh excuse about football being emotional and passionate to excuse foul mouth aggression. Seems to me there a few nice middle class boys living out some twisted working class fantasy

7 people like this 7 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

By Filipo21/11/2018 20:09Wed Nov 21 20:09:29 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 604

‘but don't give that old tosh excuse about football being emotional and passionate to excuse foul mouth aggression’

I agree, the manager’s behaviour in wanting to fight a fan at Hastings was totally unacceptable.

2 people like this 2 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Ohdear (Ksuals)22/11/2018 06:54Thu Nov 22 06:54:16 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 556

Ah glad you agree

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By BedfordshireK21/11/2018 13:45Wed Nov 21 13:45:34 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 685

I think we've seen enough scrawled-on bedsheets for a while.

Edited by BedfordshireK at 13:50:53 on 21st November 2018

5 people like this 5 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Iang21/11/2018 13:27Wed Nov 21 13:27:41 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 691

I get the chicken and egg iteration - it is more about explaining his "chippy"ness

and the levels of vitriol were Arsenal - Wenger out 'esque

and by the way I wasn't a fan either

By OldSchoolKs (OldSchoolKs)21/11/2018 09:20Wed Nov 21 09:20:19 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 734

Yes totally comit to that.So much been right recently so yes,step back,pat yourself on the back and think the way ahead.

1 person likes this 1 person   

One girt big pat on the back....

By a krinkly21/11/2018 09:30Wed Nov 21 09:30:49 2018In response to Re: Leigh on WingateTop of thread

Views: 831

.... for Leigh from me! He's doing the job he was brought in for, we are now seeing the results he promised us.

4 people like this 4 people   

Girtcha :-)

By Iang21/11/2018 13:28Wed Nov 21 13:28:26 2018In response to One girt big pat on the back....Top of thread

Views: 682

No text

Previous thread: Leafleting At Chelsea Women’s Match by John Bangs9/11/2018 22:25Fri Nov 9 22:25:30 2018view thread