ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Ted Croker by Max Hustwick Teenage Fan ClubYesterday 23:12Yesterday at 23:12:11view thread

Oldest article: Bostik League Premier Division results by Football Web Pages.co.uk2/2 16:56Sat Feb 2 16:56:55 20191 person dislikes this 1 personview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Execrable run continues by Iang16/3 16:59Sat Mar 16 16:59:18 2019view thread

Who should we go for?

By Perth WA Ks17/3 03:24Sun Mar 17 03:24:11 2019

Views: 756

I think the new manager needs to be lical and know the club.

He needs to just quietly get on with it.

He needs to be flexible.

They need to be popular.

I vote Kingstonian Ted.

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

Re: Who should we go for?

By frankie6817/3 13:04Sun Mar 17 13:04:26 2019In response to Who should we go for?Top of thread

Views: 483

Imperative we stay up..........looking at our remaining fixtues the way we have performed not very optomistic i feel we need a minimum of another 5points. What an awfull season its been............ We be nice to have some sort of statement from the directors as to our future.

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)17/3 13:35Sun Mar 17 13:35:54 2019In response to Re: Who should we go for?Top of thread

Views: 442

Asking for the moon would be more likely than a word from the Directors

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Suom Ynona17/3 10:11Sun Mar 17 10:11:41 2019In response to Who should we go for?Top of thread

Views: 575

We should have gone for Jim Cooper while we still had the chance. Knows the league inside out and knows how to organise a team. He's recently just taken over at Grays. The only localish managers I can think of are Johnson Hippolyte the old Staines manager, Billy Smith, but he's not managed since 2010 so I doubt he's involved in football anymore, Mark Goldberg the ex Bromley and Welling manager is without work, Kim Harris is available, Steve Watt the Margate manager from last season is available, but he's based in Kent. Those are the only London and South East based managers that I can think of who might be available.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Gary (gekins)17/3 09:16Sun Mar 17 09:16:19 2019In response to Who should we go for?Top of thread

Views: 638

As a club, we need to be able to hold our head up high. Sadly, that rules out the bear.

4 people like this 4 people   

By supahoops717/3 09:12Sun Mar 17 09:12:13 2019In response to Who should we go for?Top of thread

Views: 614

Is Francis Vines still in football?. He was K's through and through
and took Crawley Town from step 4 right through to the conference
if my memory serves me right?. I think he fell out with he owners over
the budget eventually. Last I heard of him, he was managing in the
evo-stick league somewhere?.

By Morgs17/3 09:51Sun Mar 17 09:51:05 2019In response to Re: Who should we go for?Top of thread

Views: 585

It could be time to bite the bullet here.
Dean Brennan was an odd appointment in many ways. Mainly as both he and the budget he's used to operating with seemed well out of the Club's realistic price range.
The same goes for last summer's signings.
Where exactly is the budget money coming from and how long are the sources going to keep providing it?
Might it be time to accept that the Club is possibly in very serious trouble? Getting our bronze lifesaving badge for rescuing a brick from the deep end of the pool would be nice. But perhaps it might be better to admit the Club's swimming skills seem questionable right now and make not sinking the sole priority.
The Club is long-term homeless and the trend of the attendance graph is downwards.
Lots of clubs have failed to survive in that situation.
I'm not sure who might be a good local comparison. Wombles were on a different level. Allen Batsford was Walton & Hersham. Staines were never much cop.
Wealdstone and Hendon might be benchmarks. Annual relegation battles on breadline budgets and clinging on to Step Three for dear life may not be pleasant but they're both still here and now have grounds.
The honours board isn't relevant in the current situation. It's about now.
The trapdoor only moved one point closer yesterday. It still needs to close at a faster rate than that for relegation to become reality. Relegation won't happen.
Without major ££££ to tie-down players for next season, a new manager can do sod all in the way of long-term planning. A short-term Craig Edwards type of appointment would be nice.
From the outside, the Club looks close to basketcase material.
A promising manager looking to move to a bigger club is unlikely to believe any assurances he might be given at an interview.
An experienced old face is the best that can be hoped for.

3 people like this 3 people   

By SDG (SDG (Ks))17/3 14:10Sun Mar 17 14:10:15 2019In response to Re: Who should we go for?Top of thread

Views: 413

We had a reasonable field to pick from last time - as well as Brennan, Bradley Quinton, Johnson Hyppolite and Jim Cooper were all available - but it's hard to think that we will this time around. Cooper already has another job and I doubt the others would now want to come knowing they were second choice.

Which for me points to Kim Harris as a caretaker until the end of the season and hopefully at that point more managers will become available, even if it means looking at up and coming managers at the level below. He wouldn't be my choice for the permanent role but if nothing else he can organise and motivate a team, as the few of us who were able to make it to Lowestoft away at short notice last season could all testify. It might be just what we need now.

It's amazing, and frustrating, how often new managers come in and just replace half the team without even giving the incumbents a chance. Shouldn't managers be good at coaching and motivating their players to actually improve them? But both Dynan and Brennan walked into mid-table teams, apparently assumed all the players were the problem, and yet both made us even worse than before with their changes. I know Dowse could make some pretty dramatic changes as well at times but at least he gave players a fair chance.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By RichardNW17/3 13:17Sun Mar 17 13:17:48 2019In response to Re: Who should we go for?Top of thread

Views: 457

@ Morgs

I think that is a pretty good post. Not convinced the club is a basket case but unless there is a high budget paid out of the directors' own pockets with very little prospect of getting it back, then we are a very average Ryman Premier club in every respect and below average in terms of our revenue generating streams. We therefore should be thinking in those terms. Also if Casuals is not graded for Conference South then splashing the cash seems to create more short term problems. I have no idea what we would have done if we were now play off contenders re the ground for next year.

It was interesting to see on Robert's blog how he felt Brennan was the best of the applicants for the post. People on here said that maybe then we should have waited, but perhaps that is also an indication of the managers who would ever be interested in the job however long we waited.

Obviously we don't know budgets and whether this year's budget was a one off or not and we don't know what the score is with regards to either a deal with Casuals or alternative plans for a permanent home, but it would seem sensible to live within our means in the meantime and perhaps it would be better to be trying to get an up and coming manager and also a more solid squad of permanent players without all the loanees and short term coming and goings. I know Mo Faal wasn't the finished article but to me it was criminal to lose a young and very promising player just because short term loan players were "better". It'd be nice to go to a K's with some regular fans favourites who gave their all.

Meanwhile there's another warning of the dangers of being overambitious as North Ferriby United (village team in Yorkshire) who made it to Conference proper as recently as 2016-17 and FA Trophy winners have just gone out of business, apparently for want of £7,000 (although maybe that was just to keep them going for another month).

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)17/3 09:35Sun Mar 17 09:35:58 2019In response to Re: Who should we go for?Top of thread

Views: 559

Sunk to my knees in prayer.
Francis Vines.
An icon and a man who could straight away lead us back to where we should be.Please please our board just listen.You need the supporters back with you

1 person dislikes this 1 person

Previous thread: Will Kim step in again? by Iang17/3 07:15Sun Mar 17 07:15:55 2019view thread