ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Tonight by supahoops7Today 21:49Today at 21:49:24view thread

Oldest article: Leafleting At Chelsea Women’s Match by John Bangs9/11/2018 22:25Fri Nov 9 22:25:30 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Stick your 'Thumbs Down' up your Aristotle. by David Crawt18/4 20:15Thu Apr 18 20:15:09 2019view thread

Ode to Ted

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)10/4 22:09Wed Apr 10 22:09:09 2019

Views: 1065

http://moosebert.co.uk/whatever-happens-we-will-always-have-enfield/

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people like this 5 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

Re: Ode to Ted

By doylie (woking) (Doylie)16/4 20:05Tue Apr 16 20:05:18 2019In response to Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 627

Out of interest, what was the thinking into Kingstonian picking a bear as a club mascot?

6 people like this 6 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By John Bangs16/4 21:25Tue Apr 16 21:25:58 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 612

The Bear “Kingstonian Ted” was obtained for a Young Carers Day on 2nd March and had been intended as a one off. However, the bear got an extremely positive response such that the Supporters Club decided to appoint him as club mascot. There was an element of spontaneity about this. Ted now has his own Twitter account and a regular column in the club’s programme commencing on Saturday.

5 people like this 5 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By doylie (woking) (Doylie)16/4 21:41Tue Apr 16 21:41:55 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 604

Thank you.

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By reximus16/4 20:08Tue Apr 16 20:08:59 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 647

The "thinking"?

Oh please. You'll be calling it a marketing strategy - or a USP - next...

rex

4 people like this 4 people   8 people dislike this 8 people

By doylie (woking) (Doylie)16/4 21:23Tue Apr 16 21:23:17 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 645

No, just a simple question, having family connections with Ks since the mid 80s I was just curious.

Why are you so angry all the time sweetie? Step back from it a bit, you’re getting yourself all worked up about a teddy bear ffs.

14 people like this 14 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By reximus16/4 22:51Tue Apr 16 22:51:41 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 664

Yeah, no, that's fine, and I don't mind a bit of gentle mickey-taking from you, Doylie. I know you're a good friend of Ks, and you've been on this forum as long as this forum has existed!

I just get annoyed by the lack of communication, which then looks like a complete lack of interest, from our Board. After a long, and VERY shit season, where we were flirting with relegation (AGAIN, remember Tommy Williams period in charge, anyone?) it's like, the best piece of anything that's happened in the last couple of years is a fucking cuddly toy - and our supporters, rather than demanding better from those in charge, roll over and go "isn't Ted brilliant? What a USP!" as if it was all part of some cunning master plan.

And those who don't? Those who stand up for the Ks and demand better, are sent to Coventry.

We're homeless, leaderless and aimless. But hey, fuck. You know what? We've got a five foot cuddly toy.

Pass me the bottle.

rex

4 people like this 4 people   6 people dislike this 6 people

By doylie (woking) (Doylie)17/4 21:01Wed Apr 17 21:01:46 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 554

No worries Rex, I admire your commitment and passion for your club. I won’t bore you with the details, but I know from first hand experience and appreciate what Ks have been through.

Personally, I don’t get the mascot thing, but it seems to have worked for us in the long run.

4 people like this 4 people   

By John Bangs17/4 21:40Wed Apr 17 21:40:07 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 545

I believe your Mascot is KC Kat.

Lots of clubs have Mascots

3 people like this 3 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By doylie (woking) (Doylie)17/4 23:57Wed Apr 17 23:57:30 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 534

We have two, they seem to breed as we now also have KC Kitten.

I have the job of clearing out their litter trays.

3 people like this 3 people   

By a krinkly17/4 00:23Wed Apr 17 00:23:06 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 635

'Sent to Coventry'

What the **** are you talking about? Sounds like you do need that bottle Rex, since you're in the Principality I suggest Penderyn.

'

5 people like this 5 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Gary (gekins)16/4 23:07Tue Apr 16 23:07:58 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 638

We don't often agree, but on this one I think you've got it right.

The only thing I'd disagree with is our supporters saying "isn't Ted brilliant?" The majority of the people I speak to at matches think it's either an irrelevance or an embarrassment.

I say this as somebody who brought my 4 year old daughter to the last home match, when she met Ted and loved him. However, she hated being at Ks and was crying saying she wanted to go home after ten minutes. Young kids love cuddly toys, but I just can't see the link between one and non-league football.

4 people like this 4 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Butler18/4 11:32Thu Apr 18 11:32:39 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 532

‘The majority of the people I speak to at matches think it's either an irrelevance or an embarrassment.’

Well said Gary! Again we haven’t agreed on much over the years but I’m 100% with you on this. It is both irrelevant and embarrassing! Grown men parading round a massive stuffed bear at games might be enough for some people to buy into and forget about the utter mess this club is in right now but it’s not for me.

I too have a young daughter that has attended a few games with me,sadly she doesn’t see going to football as the enjoyable afternoon out that we all know that it is and also can’t wait for the game to finish. In fact the last game she came to she got really excited at half time as she thought the game had finished and we could go home. When I reminded her there was still a second half to play you could physically see the disappointment in her face.

I have invited her to join me to a couple of games this season to which she has politely declined. And I’m sure if I was to say ‘but things are different now,there’s a 5 foot cuddly toy at games wearing a K’s kit’ it would make no difference to the outcome.

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)18/4 11:45Thu Apr 18 11:45:58 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 509

Few portly ones to be seen and there not all bears but scary to kids

By a krinkly11/4 07:43Thu Apr 11 07:43:04 2019In response to Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 911

Well I suppose Ted could always get Pudsey along to help see off the doubters.

Seriously though what a great marketing aid Ted is both for the charity efforts and the club. A simple highly recognisable image most people can instantly relate to. Errrm what's his favourite team spot?

'

4 people like this 4 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By supahoops711/4 07:48Thu Apr 11 07:48:25 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 914

I wonder in time, if we might get a full blown
life size 'Ted' mascot in a Ted suit. Not sure who'd want
to dress up every other week?.

6 people like this 6 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By K's196011/4 08:56Thu Apr 11 08:56:12 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 862

what about Ted balloons or has it been done already ?

2 people like this 2 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By KsOllie15/4 12:17Mon Apr 15 12:17:25 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 697

Ted balloons would look a bit weird

Just stick with the bear it self, don’t have a problem with Ted especially with his drinking pictures. Plus it’s fun seeing Taimour traveling with a 5 foot bear. Get the bear drinking more

By John Bangs11/4 09:13Thu Apr 11 09:13:58 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 857

We just use a mixture of red and white balloons at the moment as this is probably more eye catching. However now you mention the idea, we will look into it.

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By K's196011/4 17:27Thu Apr 11 17:27:27 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 829

There used to be a thing a few years ago when you tied a self addressed label to said balloon. The person who sent it back won a prize, generally the one from the furthest point, that sought of thing., My thinking is any publicity can't be that bad. It might sound old hat but it might be worth considering.

By a krinkly11/4 17:35Thu Apr 11 17:35:08 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 853

I think they're discouraging balloon races these days due to the wildlife problems caused by burst balloons scattered around the countryside.

'

By #LiftTheBan (Mr Anderson)15/4 06:22Mon Apr 15 06:22:54 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 818

Personally I’d give the balloon race idea a shot, in fact I think I’d tie Ted to several balloons and forget to attach the address label.

5 people like this 5 people   6 people dislike this 6 people

By a krinkly15/4 10:15Mon Apr 15 10:15:25 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 733

Personally I'm at a loss trying to figure out the antipathy to a bl**dy good bit of proactive marketing. Could someone please explain why?

'

By reximus15/4 10:23Mon Apr 15 10:23:13 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 751

The "antipathy" is maybe linked to Ks banning certain supporters (when a warning would have sufficed) at a time when the club looks like it's being turned into a creche?

Just a guess...

rex

1 person likes this 1 person   6 people dislike this 6 people

By a krinkly15/4 10:29Mon Apr 15 10:29:10 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 723

Hmmm I suspected something like that though I'd disagree with the 'club being turned into a crèche' Does that include us getting close to local young carers?

'

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By reximus15/4 10:33Mon Apr 15 10:33:14 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 734

I've no issue whatsoever with the club's relationship with young carers.

But this forum used to be alive with chat. Nowadays, if anything is written that doesn't conform to the accepted agenda, Bangsy will bump a thread or seven about the next YC day...

rex

1 person likes this 1 person   7 people dislike this 7 people

By a krinkly15/4 10:45Mon Apr 15 10:45:44 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 725

Maybe the lack of chat is the inevitable result of an ever increasing range of verboten topics imposed by some users on this forum over the years. I've just discovered the ConferenceNational forum, reminds me a bit of how lively this place was o we ten years ago

'

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By David Crawt15/4 12:27Mon Apr 15 12:27:44 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 764

The reason I don't post on here much anymore is because I'm fed up with the inevitable 'thumbs down' whenever I do.

And I know it's the same for you Roger, post a comment, get the 'thumbs down', guaranteed.

Even if the post is bursting with love and praise for the club, somebody will find the need to 'thumbs down' it.

Just wish I knew why?

7 people like this 7 people   6 people dislike this 6 people

By Berkshire Hoop (Berkshire K'S)18/4 19:49Thu Apr 18 19:49:45 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 454

David, since I got a thumbs down for praising the clubs youth trials I've switched off the thumbs function. Just do the same and you won't get another one. Perhaps the moderators should remove this function anyway.

Keith.

1 person likes this 1 person   4 people dislike this 4 people

By JohnnyD18/4 19:13Thu Apr 18 19:13:56 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 492

David, I honestly wouldn’t take any notice of thumbs down. You can turn them off and the fact that someone keeps thumbing down your comments really shouldn’t bother you - they’re obviously idiots.

So much sway is held by what people say on social media - especially twitter. People pick on the hatred out there (there’s lots of it but it’s from a tiny, tiny number of people) and merely talking about it achieves the perpetrator’s objective.

If trolls are ignored they go away or at least don’t get the satisfaction of getting a response. Krinkly goes on about it a lot too. Ignore it or turn the thumbs off!

I rarely post on here because I once thumbed down something (can’t even remember what it was) by accident. And was named and shamed.

Ks is being pulled apart when we should all be standing together.

Ignore the thumbs mate - you’re a top Ks fan and some middle-aged prick sitting in his grubby underpants living with his mum thumbing down stuff shouldn’t make a ripple let alone get a rise out of a bright bloke like you.

It would be so much better if certain people on this forum just let people who are unhappy with the way things are express themselves without feeling the need to defend a board who a) are very capable of defending themselves b) choose not to, and also choose not to communicate or inspire or carry with them, people who have followed this club all their lives (unless they happen to be within the inner circle).

By Ohdear (Ksuals)18/4 19:35Thu Apr 18 19:35:51 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 451

JohnnyD it is better if opinions, whether pro or anti the board, are given.n

2 people dislike this 2 people

By a krinkly15/4 13:02Mon Apr 15 13:02:51 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 730

Small lives create small minds. It's water off a ducks back now.

'

4 people like this 4 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By David Crawt15/4 15:42Mon Apr 15 15:42:43 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 700

As expected, 6 'thumbs down' as I write this, and 3 for you.
It would be so nice if at least one of those folk had the balls to explain why?
But they don't, they just hide behind their computer screen.
Faceless, mindless, clueless.
I wonder which one will be the first to 'thumbs down' this one.
Oh, did I mention, spineless?

7 people like this 7 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

By Butler18/4 11:59Thu Apr 18 11:59:33 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 540

‘they just hide behind their computer screen.
Faceless, mindless, clueless.
I wonder which one will be the first to 'thumbs down' this one.
Oh, did I mention, spineless?‘

Like you David,I found myself not posting on here for a number of years due to the sadness of these people. When I do post on here I do it under my own name and most people that post on here or attend matches know who i am. Yet most K’s fans that have or have had a problem with me over the years (and there’s a fair few of them) have decided to slate me on here without letting there true identity be known. Not once in all my years as a K’s supporter has anyone approached me about any of it or attempted to have a serious conversation about whatever I do/say that has troubled them. Instead they choose to hide behind an alias,a screen and let their fingers do the talking. Pretty sad really.

The latest example of this is the recent ongoing slating of the PKK,both as a group as well as personal jibes at individual members by the Twitter handle @weavinginandout. Which is a collective of people with a lot to say but not brave enough to put their names to it.

I know who these people are and will address them face to face when I see them. However I doubt they’ll have anything to say then!

By David Crawt18/4 13:49Thu Apr 18 13:49:54 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 516

Hi Butler, nice to hear from you.
I also post under my own name so people will probably know who I am on here or when I attend matches.
I don’t have a problem with any true K’s fan, but some seem to have a problem with me and some other folk on here. Problem is, because they hide behind their keyboard, I don’t know who they are, or what the problem is.
As with you, nobody has ever approached me to explain and have a serious conversation about whatever it is that has troubled them.
I don’t get to many games now as I live in North Yorkshire, close to the site of K’s 1933 Amateur Cup win at Feethams, former home of Darlington F.C.
But when I do get down, it would be lovely to have a chat with these folk and identify the issue.
I don’t expect anything from anybody, but I would have thought that respect for your fellow K’s supporter would be a given; it seems it’s not.
If you do know who these people are, and are going to address them face to face, please do me a favour and ask them why folk let me are targets but, as you say, I doubt they’ll have anything to say.

By Butler18/4 15:24Thu Apr 18 15:24:57 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 521

You’re preaching to the choir mate.

Yes I definitely know who you are and I assume vice versa given that our fan base is hardly booming. Don’t think we’ve ever actually spoken though but pretty sure it was your band I was throwing some shapes to at an end of season party one year?

Like you I no longer live in Kingston which limits the amount of games I attend. Although I don’t live anywhere near as far away as you do.

I have absolutely no doubt that these people will have nothing to say when I confront them about it,probably even deny any knowledge of it. No bottle the lot of them and I find it hard to respect anyone not man enough to admit to things they’ve said,or I should say typed.

2 people like this 2 people   

By David Crawt18/4 18:35Thu Apr 18 18:35:14 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 473

I do know who you are but, that wouldn't have been my band.
I haven't played a gig in the Kingston area since early 1987 when I moved North to the Lincolnshire / Cambridgeshire area.

By Butler18/4 19:03Thu Apr 18 19:03:37 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 459

Yeah I’m pretty sure I wasn’t at your last gig in Kingston then given that I would have been one! I can’t remember who’s band it was tbh, I’d had a few and I know one of the band members was a K’s fan.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By a krinkly15/4 16:40Mon Apr 15 16:40:58 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 680

Don't be too 'impressed' by that total David, as they were mounting I watched two accounts that are very likely to be from the same individual log in and out rapidly, small minds mate.

'

By Alastair15/4 10:18Mon Apr 15 10:18:11 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 751

Great for home games and I don't see why anyone would have an issue with it.

Still a bit unsure about Ted at away games...it was certainly a little alarming to be part of a group of adults drinking on a Saturday lunchtime with a large teddy bear. He didn't even stand his round either.

5 people like this 5 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By a krinkly15/4 10:22Mon Apr 15 10:22:13 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 719

If you've ever done a sales/marketing course they'd have mentioned about finding your USP (unique selling point), dare I suggest Ted.....

'

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)15/4 22:32Mon Apr 15 22:32:49 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

A informed and interesting forum being dragged into a ranting of child like proportions
For crying out load all grow up.
Dont want to take away any sense of humour that maybe intended but this is becoming akin to a kids platform

By a krinkly16/4 00:19Tue Apr 16 00:19:09 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Try the ignore function, it's there for a purpose.

'

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)15/4 10:19Mon Apr 15 10:19:58 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 707

Rumour has it that Ted knocked over a post-match pint on Saturday when his large head unexpectedly slumped forward onto a pub table.

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Alastair15/4 10:20Mon Apr 15 10:20:57 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 708

Doesn't stand his round AND can't handle his drink. Not a reliable away day buddy IMO.

By Max Hustwick Teenage Fan Club (MHTFC)15/4 16:03Mon Apr 15 16:03:14 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 656

Maybe so - but at least he had his name chanted by the oppo fans who took to him!!

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)15/4 16:28Mon Apr 15 16:28:59 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 655

ha. i didn't hear this. what were they singing? assumed it was bear-abuse.

By Max Hustwick Teenage Fan Club (MHTFC)15/4 17:12Mon Apr 15 17:12:33 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 670

You chose not to hear - but Ted waved his paw at them!

By John Bangs15/4 18:34Mon Apr 15 18:34:14 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 648

Ted got several likes for his Twitter postings from Haringey fans and one from their club.

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)15/4 19:18Mon Apr 15 19:18:12 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 675

And he has a new column in Saturday's programme! #TedTalks

By reximus17/4 09:17Wed Apr 17 09:17:29 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 591

So Ted now has a column in the matchday programme. Shouldn't that space be given to the Board to let us know what is going on?

rex

2 people like this 2 people   

By Bob Reed (MHTFC)17/4 09:26Wed Apr 17 09:26:16 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 612

Hi Rex

As the editor of Saturday's programme - yes there is a Ted's column. It's very light hearted and hopefully will put a smile on a few faces. It will certainly lighten the mood that seems to have been generated around Ks since the Lewes game. It's hard enough getting people to contribute articles to the programme - so if you are happy to knock up a double page spread by close of play this afternoon - providing I have editorial rights - then I'll happily publish it.

I do agree with you that the board could be more proactive in communicating with the supporters - but they are not the only people at this club that matters!

I await an article!

6 people like this 6 people   

By reximus17/4 13:47Wed Apr 17 13:47:51 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 583

Hi Bob

Can you email me, please?

pp231806 [at] gmail.com

rex

Edited by reximus at 13:48:32 on 17th April 2019

By K's196011/4 18:42Thu Apr 11 18:42:38 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 848

A pity really, not surprised though. Ah well back to the drawing board !!

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)11/4 09:54Thu Apr 11 09:54:12 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 832

Make sure the balloon doesnt pop.

By a krinkly11/4 07:49Thu Apr 11 07:49:51 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 846

That thought did occur to me also, wouldn't be the same though somehow.

'

1 person likes this 1 person   

By supahoops711/4 07:41Thu Apr 11 07:41:20 2019In response to Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 862

Excellent stuff.

By K's196017/4 16:19Wed Apr 17 16:19:56 2019In response to Re: Ode to TedTop of thread

Views: 544

All I want to see is K's winning matches .We should prioritise on the team and getting results, anything else is secondary . Results will get the fans back, history shows me, get the results and you get the backing plus the money rolls in. It's all about prioritising, you only have to look at the crowds in the 1990s. When K's were in the conference the Town became involved and that is where your revenue comes from. Times have changed.

Previous thread: Recent posts by Ali18/4 09:03Thu Apr 18 09:03:22 2019view thread