ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Worthing match report by FilipoToday 16:45Today at 16:45:20view thread

Oldest article: Saturday's match v Haringey Borough by www.kingstonian.com12/4/2019 12:00Fri Apr 12 12:00:27 20191 person dislikes this 1 personview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Cheshunt by Suom Ynona4/5/2019 18:12Sat May 4 18:12:34 2019view thread

Isthmian playoffs

By a krinkly30/4/2019 10:08Tue Apr 30 10:08:27 2019

Views: 2585

Just in case anyone can temporarily raise their perspectives above the navel line, Tony Reid will be cajoling his Westfield team to do great things tonight at Bracknell in the playoffs semi. I didn't get to our match there but have a hankering to go tonight, local club after all.

Reidie Reidie what you got!

Edited by a krinkly at 10:09:25 on 30th April 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Re: Isthmian playoffs

By Morgs30/4/2019 10:54Tue Apr 30 10:54:11 2019In response to Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1749

...and on that subject...
Last night saw the Isthmian South play-off semi-finals.
The resurrected Ashford United converted a penalty in the 119th minute to win 3-2 at Hastings. 1,123 in attendance there. Wouldn't have minded Hastings coming up, slow as the trains are, narrow though the A21 is and ordinary though the pubs may be. Ashford is not exactly a "Good Day Out" destination. They'll succeed Brightlingsea as the hardest ground in the division to get to, should they come up. I always expect to see "Hic sunt dracones" on the maps.
Nothing against the Nuts 'n' Bolts, but hopefully they won't come up.
Standing in Ashford's way will be the massed ranks of Bald Bloke, Dicky, Eddie & the Lardy Boys. Horsham beat Hayward's Heath 3-0 in the other semi-final. "Only" 547 in for that, but they're playing at Lancing nowadays and a 20-odd mile journey can put fans off. A glance at their team sheet shows they've got a lot of the usual suspects from Sussex's Isthmian Premier player-go-round on the books, so they must have a few quid, homeless or not. I hope they know what they're doing.
Final is on Friday night, which is a mite strong. I know the Blazers like going to all the play-off finals and there are four Isthmian League divisions this year, but making Ashford schlep across country or around the M25 on the Friday night of a bank holiday weekend is unnecessary and slightly out of order in my view.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Ali (ali.kazemi)30/4/2019 11:10Tue Apr 30 11:10:14 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1722

I think Horsham's new ground is nearly ready, so something to look forward to there hopefully.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Morgs1/5/2019 00:54Wed May 1 00:54:40 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1636

Bracknell - who won't be in this division, should they come up - beat Westfield 2-1.
Cheshunt - who presumably will be in this division, if promoted - beat Marlow 2-1.
Final at Bracknell on Saturday.

By a krinkly1/5/2019 08:03Wed May 1 08:03:14 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1590

Didn't get to the game after all looked a close thing on FWP though, possibility of Reidie in our manager search mix now?

If Bracknell wouldn't enter the Bostick Prem who would then, the playoffs final losers?

Edited by a krinkly at 08:03:47 on 1st May 2019

By Paddy (Paddy1)1/5/2019 09:33Wed May 1 09:33:34 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1569

No, the Isthmian would have one less team promoted up to it from Step 4 & someone from the Southern Prem South (probably Met Police, Hendon, Staines or Harrow) will get moved (back) to the Isthmian.

By a krinkly1/5/2019 09:39Wed May 1 09:39:01 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1542

BOGGLE!!!!

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By BE1/5/2019 09:42Wed May 1 09:42:37 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1555

Staines got relegated.

Edited by BE at 09:42:50 on 1st May 2019

By Morgs1/5/2019 10:01Wed May 1 10:01:06 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1564

Should they go up, Bracknell would go into the Western Worzel Division. No sense having Harrow, Hendon, Walton & Rozzers going to Truro, Tiverton & Merthyr, while Bracknell go to Margate.
I've just looked at Wazzafan's projections on the annual Kempster thread for the first time this season. Almost everyone seems to have been assuming Hendon would be back in this division next season, maybe Harrow as well. Presumably the predicted ups & downs have changed recently, but Wazzafan's chart now shows no transfers between Southern and Isthmian for next term. It seems almost incontestably logical.
Should Cheshunt prevail in Bracknell, they will presumably come up here. It looks as if this would necessitate a transfer the other way! Geographically it should be Bognor, but would the Leagues Committee split Bognor and Worthing? If Horsham come up, there would be a convenient quartet in West Sussex for holiday fixtures. Potter's Bar might go, but they've only just moved down from the Midlands. Wingate & Finchley? Tolworth is uncomfortably close to the boundary. Would the Leagues Committee split K's and Cor-Cas?

By SDG (SDG (Ks))1/5/2019 14:39Wed May 1 14:39:30 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1513

I looked into this last week for my article in Saturday's programme. Don't really have time to post in any detail but in short a switch isn't impossible but is very unlikely. Even if the Bostik Prem ends up oversubscribed as it could depending on playoff results (also need to factor in whether our playoff winners win or lose the super playoff) I think they'd be most likely to move Stortford and if necessary another club to the midlands division. Depends on loads of different results though, obvs.

Edited by SDG (Ks) at 14:40:09 on 1st May 2019

By Morgs1/5/2019 22:47Wed May 1 22:47:36 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1448

Agreed. Stortford are already earmarked to go to the Midlands and Cheshunt could be placed there as well - as could Potters Bar. There may be a few clubs switching, but I doubt anyone from the Isthmian will be going southwest. The Leagues Committee mindset appears to be that they like the Isthmian as it is. As you say, it's not impossible they could change their minds though.

By BE1/5/2019 10:18Wed May 1 10:18:35 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1555

Concord Rangers barred from Conference play-offs due to not having 500 seats under cover at their ground!

By reximus1/5/2019 10:10Wed May 1 10:10:49 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1594

HUMPHREY: Now, before I begin the lesson, will those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you. Now,--

WYMER: My younger brother's going out with Dibble this weekend, sir, but I'm not having my hair cut today, sir. So, do I move my clothes down, or--

HUMPHREY: I do wish you'd listen, Wymer. It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed.

Now, sex. Where were we? Had I got as far as the penis entering the vagina?

rex

By Iang2/5/2019 10:38Thu May 2 10:38:32 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1427

"causing the Penis to haaaarrr….den!"

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By reximus2/5/2019 11:34Thu May 2 11:34:39 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1396

Thank you, dear!

rex

By Morgs1/5/2019 22:58Wed May 1 22:58:48 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1451

Saaaaaaaarrrrf Essix League semi-finals.
It'll be standing room only for the huge local derby between Maldon & Tiptree and Heybridge Swifts.
Swifts beat top seeds Aveley 1-0 at the Spanking New Stadium, which is presumably still a long trek down caravan-lined streets from the nearest station. Just the three red cards in what sounds a typical local spat. 573 in attendance.
Maldon beat North Essex interlopers Coggeshall 1-0 in the other game. 494 saw that.
So, it'll be another Essex public bus journey next season, regardless of who wins Sunday's final.
I'm still miffed that Mr. Tamplin didn't name Ricay's upgraded ground the Spanking New Stadium and invite Harvey Proctor to open it.

Edited by Morgs at 22:59:16 on 1st May 2019

By Morgs2/5/2019 00:07Thu May 2 00:07:37 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1492

...and in local news...
The Rozzers beat Salisbury 3-2 in the Worzel Division play-offs - Salisbury having let home advantage slip away by losing 6-0 at home to Harrow Borough on Saturday.
The Rozzers will host Poole in the final. Poole won on pens at Taunton after a 1-1 draw. Taunton finished 15 points ahead of Poole in the final table.

In the Midlands Division, both semi-finals have been postponed while the FA looks into a case of Stratford possibly having fielded an unregistered player in an earlier league game. Stratford finished 5th, 5 points ahead of Coalville, but may be slung out. Coalville's players hopefully not on the beach for a holiday weekend in Espana. That would be unfortunate if they were required to play at the weekend.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Morgs3/5/2019 22:42Fri May 3 22:42:56 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1366

Horsham beat Ashford 2-1 (aet) in the South Division final tonight. 880 there. Horsham up. Maybe a new ground for any hoppers into that sort of thing, assuming it's ready for next season.

3 people like this 3 people   

Re: Isthmian playoffs/promoted clubs.

By supahoops74/5/2019 13:20Sat May 4 13:20:55 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffsTop of thread

Views: 1332

Horsham up, new home. Cray wanderers up, new home.
Hayes & Yeading up, relatively new home following merger.
Dorking wanderers, back to back promotions, new home.
Vitally important the board make the right appointment and
continue to provide a decent budget (if they decide to do so)
in order that these well run clubs don't just go past us and leave
us in a cloud of dust.

Re: Isthmian playoffs/promoted clubs.

By Morgs5/5/2019 00:09Sun May 5 00:09:41 2019In response to Re: Isthmian playoffs/promoted clubs.Top of thread

Views: 1283

I don't want to get into silly slanging matches on here, but "well run" isn't a term I'd use about many of that quartet.
Horsham, maybe. Didn't seem to be spending ludicrous sums when around the play-off zone up here, largely blameless in the loss of their ground, been quite sensible while sharing at other places, have looked to be doing things professionally in the ground hunt.
The others? Cray were (allegedly) paying far more than Horsham when in the top half of this division. Not been as prudent with the ground hunt either.
H&Y? Hayes were 3rd, just a couple of wins away from the Football League, in the 1st FA Trophy season. Yeading played Newcastle and Forest in FA Cup ties in the mid-noughties. The combined club was well fancied for promotion when getting relegated and the problems with the stadium being (allegedly) almost abandoned when close to completion, then opened and closed again do not smack of competence.
Dorking appear to be getting on well with the local council, but backers with money don't equate to a well-run club... the reverse is often the case!
I'm not knocking anyone, but being "well run" in semi-pro football is almost exclusively a matter of raising finance. That normally consists solely of roping-in directors who'll throw money at semi-pro, mercenary players, who have nothing to do with the community around the area - rather than, say, putting that cash into a local youth facility that would genuinely help the local community - and achieving short-term success without putting the "successful" club on a firm financial footing. (See Hayes FC, Yeading FC and, errrm, one or two others in west London that we could mention.)

5 people like this 5 people   

Previous thread: New Manager by Olde School Ks2/5/2019 09:56Thu May 2 09:56:28 2019view thread