ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Tonight by supahoops7Today 20:50Today at 20:50:55view thread

Oldest article: Leafleting At Chelsea Women’s Match by John Bangs9/11/2018 22:25Fri Nov 9 22:25:30 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Walton Casuals manager resigns by Peter Borrett6/5 16:04Mon May 6 16:04:00 2019view thread

News articles from the club

By Gary (gekins)5/5 21:52Sun May 5 21:52:53 2019

Views: 1156

For information, I've been asked by the board (via Rob W) to stop the auto-post function that alerted visitors to this forum that a news article was posted on the official club site.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   12 people dislike this 12 people

Re: News articles from the club

By Ali (ali.kazemi)5/5 22:21Sun May 5 22:21:49 2019In response to News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 885

I have to say, this is a terrible decision and not the kind of move you'd expect from a club on top of its game.

Organisations almost without exception crave the spreading of their message and, in turn, PR. Whilst there are some opportunities to do this directly, this is almost entirely restricted to its own channels. These however often do not have the fullest audience or reach, and I very much include ours in this. I, for example, come on here far more regularly than the odd rare visit to the website.

The media used to an excellent vehicle for wider coverage, though it often won't use messages in full, might ignore quite a few, and even turn things around with a different reporting perspective. The problem now is the printed local press has diminished even more than what's left of our lingering appeal. So why would our football club try to stop a direct automatic feed to this forum, which posts its news in unedited format complete with regular links straight to the website.

One of the tricks of the game is to go to where the audience is at. Now, whether people like this forum or not it is where a significant proportion of our online supporter interaction is at. It has its ups and its downs but offers that space and for a free (almost) instantaneous flow of information.

Edited by ali.kazemi at 22:31:04 on 5th May 2019

13 people like this 13 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)6/5 11:58Mon May 6 11:58:53 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 731

this is plainly a very bad decision and hopefully it's not too late to change some minds.

it's also demoralising for the 5-10 people who generate material for the programme and website that things are far less likely to be read (to no obvious benefit).

it is worth recalling that until a few years ago there was a link to the unofficial forum from the website itself. a new fan who goes to kingstonianfc.com would not necessarily know that there was a lively forum in existence. now the flow of traffic is going to be cut the other way too.

a thought experiment: Kingstonian's official twitter feed announces the return of Leigh Dynan as manager. 10 people post under the tweet that this is awful. Not wishing to be associated with those public replies, Kingstonian suspends its own twitter account....

6 people like this 6 people   

By David Crawt6/5 17:25Mon May 6 17:25:36 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 656

Hi Taimour, I think you’ve hit on something there with your 'thought experiment' in the part which says that K's might suspend their Twitter account because they don't want to be associated with any negative replies to their tweets.
That is probably exactly what has happened here.

Since some of the replies to ‘Official News’ posts on here are sometimes controversial, it would seem to me to be the right thing to do to disassociate the club from those posts.

However, I have what I believe is the perfect solution which should satisfy all.

Simply reinstate ‘Official News’ posts on here but turn off the option for anybody to reply to them.

Folk can always discuss them in a new thread, just as they will be able to do after reading the article from the club site but, and importantly, that discussion will not be linked to the ‘Official News’ post.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By reximus6/5 20:51Mon May 6 20:51:05 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 619

Simply reinstate ‘Official News’ posts on here but turn off the option for anybody to reply to them.

Yes. Because. Official. Diktats. From. The. Board. Should. Permit. No. Discussion.

Though no I come to think about it - what pieces of official news are we taking about, exactly? The problem with our Board is an ABSENCE of news. The items that do get posted automatically are generally well received (SDG's travel guides, news about the recent excellent sponsored walk and our charity partners, Sparkle Malawi, etc). Okay, so there was some piss-taking over the recent job vacancy notice (which translated as "applicants need to be better than that useless turd Dynan").

I mean surely not even the Board of Ks have been expecting our match results/reports to be applauded, have they?

rex

Edited by reximus at 21:09:29 on 6th May 2019
Edited by reximus at 21:10:13 on 6th May 2019
Edited by reximus at 21:47:03 on 6th May 2019

5 people like this 5 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)6/5 17:58Mon May 6 17:58:48 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 620

Oh, the thought experiment was designed to indicate how mad it would be to stop tweeting....

Although your idea of allowing the autofeed with no comments is a cunning plan. Gary, is such a thing feasible?

By Gary (gekins)6/5 18:06Mon May 6 18:06:18 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 655

Yes, entirely possible. But I have no idea if that would please the club, as I’ve received no information on why they’ve taken this decision.

3 people like this 3 people   

By a krinkly6/5 17:46Mon May 6 17:46:28 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 615

Hi David, looking back at some of the recent News posts and subsequent comments I think you've probably hit on the reason for this move by the board. As you point out there's a simple solution that would maintain the News flow.

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By doylie (woking) (Doylie)5/5 23:43Sun May 5 23:43:02 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 750

Non of my business, but wow, what a ridiculous decision, what’s the logic in that?

Our Cards Trust (who have a seat on the Board) actually sponsor our forum to get the clubs/trusts message across to a wider audience. Inevitably some news will provoke a daft response, let’s face it there’s always someone who’ll swear that black is white and visa versa, but what are they trying to achieve by squirrelling the news away - totally counterproductive in my neutral opinion.

7 people like this 7 people   

By a krinkly5/5 22:42Sun May 5 22:42:18 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 775

I'm gobsmacked at the apparent stupidity of this, can we have a link to the website news portal put on this forum please.

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Ali (ali.kazemi)5/5 22:59Sun May 5 22:59:22 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 780

I'd rather try to get it reinstated first. If someone from the club wants to contact me to go through my thoughts in more detail, and furnish it with some facts and figures, I am available.

8 people like this 8 people   

By reximus5/5 22:37Sun May 5 22:37:24 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 774

Unbelievable. Our Board respond to constant pleas for better communication by actually making their communication worse.

It makes you wonder what announcements they're hoping we won't notice.

rex

8 people like this 8 people   

By SDG (SDG (Ks))6/5 12:55Mon May 6 12:55:06 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 693

I've only just had time to post on this and there's no point me repeating a lot of the excellent points that have already been made about what a ludicrous decision this is, but two points stand out as particularly important. Rex's point that the board have responded to criticism about lack of communication by deliberately breaking a communication channel; and Taimour's that it is highly demotivating for those of us who put time and effort in to generating content for the website, knowing that fewer people will read it. A bad decision that will hopefully be swiftly reversed.

5 people like this 5 people   

By BedfordshireK6/5 14:02Mon May 6 14:02:15 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 621

I would like to commend the club for the foresight and imagination required to make a decision that has united the entire fanbase. That takes some doing.

7 people like this 7 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)6/5 14:17Mon May 6 14:17:03 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 639

Sacking Dynan tbf....

2 people like this 2 people   

By Paddy (Paddy1)6/5 08:22Mon May 6 08:22:42 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

I've said it before & I'll say it again. Managed decline. Every action (or in some cases the lack of) the board has taken points to it. Having said that, it may just be pure coincidence that the guys up top seem to be so bafflingly inept at times.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Suom Ynona5/5 22:44Sun May 5 22:44:03 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 758

We've had our differences on here, but you've hit the nail on the head. Completely baffling and scandalous decision by the board.

4 people like this 4 people   

By jon tolley5/5 22:47Sun May 5 22:47:51 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 767

struggling to see the reason or any benefit.

did they give a reason?

4 people like this 4 people   

By Gary (gekins)6/5 09:41Mon May 6 09:41:18 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 696

did they give a reason?

They (Rob) did not.

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)6/5 09:56Mon May 6 09:56:48 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 690

Our board dont give reasons only dic tacs and very rarely even then.
Reap and sow

By John Bangs5/5 23:49Sun May 5 23:49:23 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 766

I suppose it does make clearer that this is a fans forum rather than a formal Kingstonian site. The Forum still appeared semi official given that all Club posts on the website were automatically posted. With the development of social media and the ability to view this from the club’s website, the Club perhaps want the Club’s website to be the main window into what’s happening rather than this .

There is, of course, nothing to stop us commenting on what we have seen there and posting on this Forum. I am sure we will.

3 people like this 3 people   8 people dislike this 8 people

By Alastair6/5 09:51Mon May 6 09:51:33 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 715

I can't understand why anyone could even possibly think this is a good idea. It's not that important in and of itself, but it's scary that such a poor decision could be made. It makes people like me wonder if other decisions in other areas of the club's affairs are being taken in this way too, especially given the way the recent bans were bungled, alienating a big part of our support, and the footballing season we have just endured.

There are two options here:

1. This hasn't really been thought about. In which case, okay, but now you have several people who are experts at comms saying it's a stupid idea, so presumably the hierarchy could reconsider quickly and backtrack. Fair enough.

2. This has been thought about and this decision has been taken anyway. If that's the case, it's a terrifying - and I do mean that - insight into the reasoning power and decision-making skills of the people making the big decisions at the club at the moment.

I am presuming it is Option 1 out of these two, and that this will be quickly reversed.

Edited by Alastair at 09:54:02 on 6th May 2019

9 people like this 9 people   

By Mike (KsMikey)6/5 00:24Mon May 6 00:24:19 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 722

Disagree with this

Agree with most that it’s stupid and shooting themselves in the foot

Criticism from many is the lack of communication from up above - this is just reiterating the valid point

Neither witty or imaginative to have one

By Largeman6/5 08:33Mon May 6 08:33:55 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 716

This, to me, is totally unfathomable.

I visit the forum a couple of times a week and I’m not sure I’ve ever actually gone directly to the club website. When I want to read a match report, or get any club news it’s always as a direct result of following a post from here.

This move means I will miss things. In the coming weeks I won’t think to go to the club site and will miss their season ticket renewal announcement.

I’m likely to miss details of rearranged games (particularly Surrey Cup, which are often at random times, pigeon holed into spaces in diaries).

I will almost certainly miss any club initiatives such as Boost the Budget news.

These are all going to hit the club financially and in goodwill terms (if the latter still exists in many places).

Of course, it may just be a stroke of absolute marketing genius. Don’t tell anyone about anything, creating a sense of intrigue which in turn makes people seek out the mythical exploits of Kingstonian FC and people arrive at KGF in their absolute droves for the new season. Especially with the new manager in charge - although no one will know who that is.......

By Ohdear (Ksuals)6/5 08:58Mon May 6 08:58:03 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 675

Only if like you, people choose to ignore KFC website.

3 people dislike this 3 people

By Largeman6/5 09:13Mon May 6 09:13:32 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 702

I won’t make a conscious choice to ignore the website. Just won’t think to go there unprompted.

Do you think the clubs move is a good one?

By jon tolley6/5 09:40Mon May 6 09:40:44 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 681

seems wild to me
stopping official news going into the public domain to an absolutely captive audience won’t further any aims of the club.

I cannot imagine anywhere in my business or politics where I wouldn’t want official comms going. I do however see the problems from uncrotrolled narratives being the new normal. this is damaging and a step backwards.

and unfortunately one of a few such steps in recent times.

By Suom Ynona5/5 22:52Sun May 5 22:52:00 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 747

Could it be that they don't want us to know who our new manager is? McKimm?

By Mike (KsMikey)6/5 00:25Mon May 6 00:25:51 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 734

Ha ha

You’ve been reading my social media posts ...?

I’ve suggested that Steve McKimm’s “Red and White Army” has a certain ring to it

Neither witty or imaginative to have one

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By John Bangs6/5 06:28Mon May 6 06:28:19 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

The applications will have been in by midnight last night and the interviews will follow so we’ll have to wait and see.

I saw your tweet. Personally I think Tony Reid’s red and white army might have a better ring to it. No idea if he’s applied though

4 people like this 4 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By K's19606/5 11:03Mon May 6 11:03:59 2019In response to Re: News articles from the clubTop of thread

Views: 680

So the hymn sheet now goes out of the window !!

Previous thread: Re: Isthmian playoffs/promoted clubs. by supahoops76/5 09:36Mon May 6 09:36:06 2019view thread