ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: BetVictor Isthmian Premier Division results by Football Web PagesYesterday 21:43Yesterday at 21:43:47view thread

Oldest article: Saturday's match v Haringey Borough by www.kingstonian.com12/4/2019 12:00Fri Apr 12 12:00:27 20191 person dislikes this 1 personview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Vase Final Half Time by a krinkly19/5/2019 13:17Sun May 19 13:17:35 2019view thread

Newslink Update

By a krinkly16/5/2019 21:19Thu May 16 21:19:21 2019

Views: 9729

I had a reply from the board last night, I opened it this evening, since it's addressed to me personally I won't copy it to here.

Basically the decision to remove the automatic news updates was taken after consultation between the Board and Club Officials. This forum is unofficial with no connection to the official website, the club has no control over its content and directors do not read it. It is not unusual for other clubs to have no news links to unofficial forums. Supporters can view news items as and when there is news to report on the website and also the club Facebook and Twitter pages.

Ok I've had a reply, any decision I take regarding my season ticket will be dependant on how things develop in the coming weeks.

Gary I've emailed you regarding this using the address I have from the time of fans ownership meeting, I hope that's still correct.

Edited by a krinkly at 21:20:45 on 16th May 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people   

Re: Newslink Update

By ollie17/5/2019 20:25Fri May 17 20:25:52 2019In response to Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 9254

directors do not read it

What a shame they're missing out on this positive vibe then. Bird wants more open comms channels - let's make it happen.

By a krinkly17/5/2019 20:32Fri May 17 20:32:37 2019In response to Re: Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 7276

One of the Guildford City managers used to post regularly on their fans forum, assuming he's not forbidden to do so our new Gaffer should be invited to join us.

3 people like this 3 people   

By JamieB (jmbrilley)17/5/2019 21:15Fri May 17 21:15:51 2019In response to Re: Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 5841

Absolutely and why not.

Would be great to interact with some of our long distance fans.

Even there was an official Ks Manager twitter etc

By andycowl17/5/2019 10:08Fri May 17 10:08:14 2019In response to Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 7438

That is a slightly unsatisfactory response. What is the harm in cross-posting club news from the official site here ? Sometimes, you just despair with these people.

They're supposed to be running (and growing) a small business in a professional way (yes I know they're volunteers and fantastic people) yet they operate like they're running a Brownies group only with more small-minded politics and petty squabbles.

No-one's asking for the Forums to be publicised or linked to on kingstonian.com, are they ?

FWIW I attend 10 home games a season. I'm not a fanatic with a fixture listed tattooed on my forehead.

Guess where I come to see if K's are at home on a Saturday morning.

Here for the 'Don't forget Kingstonian FC are at home to Margate to at 3pm today. See you there'

Don't these idiots see that alone is justification for the automatic feed ? And yet, I bet the board sit there and endlessly discuss 'Item 7 - Why are we only getting crowds of 300 ?;

PS. Would they object to the Forum Admin taking the RSS feed and using IFTT to achieve the same effect ?

8 people like this 8 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)17/5/2019 12:32Fri May 17 12:32:25 2019In response to Re: Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 6661

good post. it's all a bit depressing tbh. i suppose now it's up to all of us to post here when stuff happens/if we happen to go to the club website (although news and stories will get buried when there are more than three things happening in a week.) It will also be harder for certain things to be highlighted and prominent.

Gary, is there a way to have the feed so that the poster is not "by www.kingstonian.com" and is instead "by FWP Kingstonian" or whatever, thereby removing all official connection to the club? surely that would be the compromise position.

I am making an auto-feed campaign bedsheet to drape in front of the directors' box.

By Gary (gekins)17/5/2019 12:56Fri May 17 12:56:06 2019In response to Re: Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 5933

Gary, is there a way to have the feed so that the poster is not "by www.kingstonian.com" and is instead "by FWP Kingstonian"

Yes, entirely possible and dead simple to set up. I have no idea if that would meet with the approval of the Board though, because I haven't actually been told why they objected to the feed.

6 people like this 6 people   

By JamieB (jmbrilley)17/5/2019 16:49Fri May 17 16:49:27 2019In response to Re: Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 5853

Do we need to board approval for putting up a link they publicly share anyway?

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By reximus17/5/2019 10:35Fri May 17 10:35:03 2019In response to Re: Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 5968

'Don't forget Kingstonian FC are at home to Margate to at 3pm today.

Technically/pedantically this feed cones from a different site, not the official club site. I guess it's up to Gary whether this feature continues.

rex

By a krinkly17/5/2019 10:30Fri May 17 10:30:40 2019In response to Re: Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 5946

I've double and triple checked that what I posted above is an accurate summary of what they told me. All you or anyone can do for answers to legitimate questions is enquire politely via email.

Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?

By John Bangs18/5/2019 08:13Sat May 18 08:13:09 2019In response to Re: Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 5838

As I understand it, the concern was that the club auto posting on the site gives an appearance of official endorsement of the site that the Directors are not keen to see. Personally I find this is hardly surprising given the level of Director/Board bashing that has gone on here for quite some time.

In this feed’s discussion there have been a couple of alternative suggestions made which might together provide a compromise solution.

It seems to me that a feed from Football Webpages about Ks does not create the same apparent endorsement “problem” for the club but still has the benefit of sharing information with fans.

Jamie also makes the point that there is nothing to stop us having a link to the Club’s website. I personally think that is a great idea.

If there is is support for the above actions as a compromise solution, I would be happy to write to the Directors to check they do not object. I can’t guarantee that this would be agreed to but it might be worth asking.

What do people think?

4 people like this 4 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By jon tolley18/5/2019 10:34Sat May 18 10:34:39 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5792

As I understand it, the concern was that the club auto posting on the site gives an appearance of official endorsement of the site that the Directors are not keen to see. Personally I find this is hardly surprising given the level of Director/Board bashing that has gone on here for quite some time.

why do you understand it as that? were you in these conversations when it was decided to do this? who else was?

yes these solutions make a shit idea a bit less shit, but it's nonsense. can't believe this is even a conversation.

8 people like this 8 people   

By a krinkly18/5/2019 11:42Sat May 18 11:42:42 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5775

Ali wanted to wait before putting up a link on here to the website news in case it could be rescinded, we now know that's not going to happen and I don't think this forum needs any permission to establish a link so I say yes please admin.

By John Bangs19/5/2019 07:39Sun May 19 07:39:17 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5670

I am sure you are right that we don’t need permission to have a link to the Club’s website. I don’t in any case see why anyone would object to this.

I am not sure about whether we would need to ask the Directors about having a feed from Football Webpages. I’m sure that one would but this is probably Gary and Ali’s call.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Gary (gekins)18/5/2019 10:31Sat May 18 10:31:30 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5766

Hi John.

Just out of interest, did you suggest the ban to the board? I assume they didn’t come up with the idea on their own, seeing as they don’t visit.

Thanks,
Gary.

8 people like this 8 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By John Bangs19/5/2019 07:41Sun May 19 07:41:37 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5712

Hi Gary

Sorry for delay in replying as I was out for much of yesterday. As you and Jon ask,I will let you know what my involvement was and what I know of the decision making process.

Firstly just to comment on the statement that Directors do not read the Forum. I don’t know if this is literally and entirely the case. Mark and John have certainly told me that they have not read the Forum for quite a long time. If Yioryos has stopped reading the Forum this is a recent development. The point is that it is not part of the Directors role to read the Forum or to respond to posts on the Forum and they do not do so.

I personally provide the club with some financial backing and although this does not make me a shareholder, from time to time I am involved in discussions with Directors . I did make an observation to John Fenwick when discussing recent events that the auto posts from the club might potentially be thought to create an appearance of the Forum being a semi official site.

John subsequently told me the Directors were considering ending the auto update feature.The decision was made by the Directors following discussion with some club officials. They did not consult the Supporters Club in case anyone was wondering. There was clearly some input from others as the comment about other independent forum not having club news links is not something I know about as I only ever used our own clubs forum.

This may not make anyone who disagrees with the decision any happier but I hope it answers yours and Jon’s questions as to what I knew about this.

4 people like this 4 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By JohnnyD19/5/2019 14:57Sun May 19 14:57:43 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5647

Well, it took you a while to come clean about that John - but fair play to you for being honest.

Personally I think you’re a genius. It’s obvious that after serving up several seasons of crap, climaxing in this season’s aberration, what really needed to be addressed was the tiny, minuscule possibility that someone might wander onto this unofficial forum and mistake it for something official.

Who knows what disaster might have befallen this great club had such an unlikely incident occurred.

Goodness me, that person might think, “Blimey, look at all these people moaning about the utter shit they’re paying to watch while being told sweet FA about anything”. Anything could have happened after that so THANK GOODNESS you made it your business to step in.

This is Melchet meets Darling led by Baldrick. Astonishing stuff!

Congratulations on your sterling work John.

I’m off to pop some underpants on my head and a pencil up my nose.

Edited by JohnnyD at 15:00:11 on 19th May 2019

4 people like this 4 people   7 people dislike this 7 people

By reximus19/5/2019 12:02Sun May 19 12:02:52 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5668

I did make an observation to John Fenwick when discussing recent events that the auto posts from the club might potentially be thought to create an appearance of the Forum being a semi official site.

I'm curious - why did it take you two weeks to admit that?

rex

5 people like this 5 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By JamieB (jmbrilley)19/5/2019 10:21Sun May 19 10:21:12 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5681

I did make an observation to John Fenwick when discussing recent events that the auto posts from the club might potentially be thought to create an appearance of the Forum being a semi official site.

What prompted you to go out of your way to make that observation?

And I'm not sure if you are a representative of the supporters club but if you are do you not think you making that observation burns down a bridge between supporters and the club

Edited by jmbrilley at 10:22:43 on 19th May 2019

4 people like this 4 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By John Bangs19/5/2019 10:27Sun May 19 10:27:37 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5682

It was not on behalf of the Supporters Club which had not discussed the matter . Tight or wrong it was purely my own observation.

Representations to the Directors from the Supporters Club are made via their Chairman

2 people like this 2 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Lesmundo19/5/2019 13:36Sun May 19 13:36:17 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5664

In light of your close proximity to the board, do you observe and feedback the discontent of supporters regarding communication and team/manager performance? As you clearly have enough influence within the club to change how they communicate with supporters, I was just wondering if you had. If not, why not?

By JamieB (jmbrilley)19/5/2019 10:30Sun May 19 10:30:53 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5681

Surely in your role you must appreciate your words may carry more weight.

If only the board took all supporters views seriously

By Ohdear (Ksuals)19/5/2019 10:49Sun May 19 10:49:18 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5652

If only more supporters views from could be taken seriously.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By reximus18/5/2019 08:43Sat May 18 08:43:55 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5790

Personally I find this is hardly surprising given the level of Director/Board bashing that has gone on here for quite some time.

I thought they didn't read it.

rex

By Paddy (Paddy1)18/5/2019 08:28Sat May 18 08:28:16 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5758

"Personally I find this is hardly surprising given the level of Director/Board bashing that has gone on here for quite some time."

I also find the cowardice not surprising.

2 people like this 2 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By John Bangs18/5/2019 09:17Sat May 18 09:17:05 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5757

Whatever. ..... I don’t suppose we’ll ever agree on that.

However, I still would be interested to know yours and others view on the two alternative suggestions made by Taimour and Jamie, given that the Directors are clearly not going to change their minds on their original decision.

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Paddy (Paddy1)18/5/2019 09:34Sat May 18 09:34:46 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5747

I don't disagree with either idea or any so far mentioned that continues news articles posted to this forum. It serves the same purpose & if it can/does/probably will get shot down officially than forum users just copy/pasting news to here when it appears is equally just as good.

Doesn't fix the real issue behind that which some feel that the board are trying to make themselves as unaccountable as possible though but it's a nice mask.

By JamieB (jmbrilley)18/5/2019 13:39Sat May 18 13:39:49 2019In response to Re: Newslink :A compromise solution?Top of thread

Views: 5739

I think most on here would at least RESPECT the decision even if they disagree with it if we were to be told the reasons for this.

All this angst is amongst fans is all based on lack of communication and the gap that is growing from the board. From the sounds of it it clearly hit boiling point towards the end of last season. Regular communication COULD have prevented alot of aggro from the fans.

In my line of work most customers get angry about lack of communication... Even its to say there's a delay or no update yet, they would rather have that then feel forgotten about

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Morgs16/5/2019 22:52Thu May 16 22:52:42 2019In response to Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 6077

Ya, Allah!
The Dirty Digger apart, nobody issuing a press release has any control over the content of the media outlets to which they release it.
To suggest a decision on which media outlets are "copied in" is based on control over content of those media outlets is ridiculous.
As for Directors not reading this forum, they'll be telling us they never have a quick J. Arthur next.

By Paddy (Paddy1)17/5/2019 07:43Fri May 17 07:43:57 2019In response to Re: Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 6704

Bit of a joke excuse really isn't it. Someone will copy & paste the news article on to here & we would discuss it the same regardless! Just another peculiar decision that plays in to peoples fears.

Special 2 for 1 offer on my patented tin foil hats while stocks last.

FAO Alistair

By a krinkly17/5/2019 07:58Fri May 17 07:58:17 2019In response to Re: Newslink UpdateTop of thread

Views: 6754

Sir two things.

1. From a Hatter to a Hornet, I guess you're off to Wembley tomorrow....... STING 'EM!

2. I think you should email your excellent Message to the Board contribution to them, use all three links on the website it seems to work.

Re: FAO Alistair

By Alastair17/5/2019 15:20Fri May 17 15:20:16 2019In response to FAO AlistairTop of thread

Views: 5860

I will be sending an email in due course. Too much going on for me at the moment but I will get round to it. Glad you got a response.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)17/5/2019 08:44Fri May 17 08:44:57 2019In response to FAO AlistairTop of thread

Views: 6719

A hornet sting is very serious and can be fatal
Sureley you dont wish this in Man.C.
Now Tottenham may be different

2 people dislike this 2 people

By Iang17/5/2019 12:47Fri May 17 12:47:55 2019In response to Re: FAO AlistairTop of thread

Views: 5885

Bore off - I'm off to Madrid

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By jon tolley17/5/2019 08:41Fri May 17 08:41:28 2019In response to FAO AlistairTop of thread

Views: 6695

It’s absolute their right to do what they want, but I still fail to see the logic .

I reckon most clubs who don’t have the auto-feed have no technology to do it .

and I don’t believe for a minute the board don’t read this.
it’s a bad call, not the end of the world... but still

By ollie17/5/2019 15:12Fri May 17 15:12:11 2019In response to Re: FAO AlistairTop of thread

Views: 5839

As a sponsor of the club, I'm assuming the drop in traffic will also make you reconsider your own options?

By Ohdear (Ksuals)17/5/2019 13:12Fri May 17 13:12:46 2019In response to Re: FAO AlistairTop of thread

Views: 5882

Jon -a reasonable post amid the molehill mountaineers

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Paddy (Paddy1)17/5/2019 11:19Fri May 17 11:19:12 2019In response to Re: FAO AlistairTop of thread

Views: 5918

"I reckon most clubs who don’t have the auto-feed have no technology to do it ."

So effectively it was a sort of USP for us, albeit a minor one.

By MC17/5/2019 09:00Fri May 17 09:00:14 2019In response to Re: FAO AlistairTop of thread

Views: 6694

Yeah, it's just a stupid decision. There's literally no positive. It just means fewer people will read their communications.

I'm not one for slagging off the board but this makes no sense.

Previous thread: WEBSITE NEWS STORY ALERT MANUAL FEED POST DISSEMINATION by Taimour19/5/2019 08:39Sun May 19 08:39:21 2019view thread