ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Aaron Lamont by JasonYesterday 11:36Yesterday at 11:36:27view thread

Oldest article: Richard's archive in the comet by Taimour25/9/2018 18:12Tue Sep 25 18:12:25 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Young Carers to ?Skywalk? with Ks by www.kingstonian.com2/6 15:18Sun Jun 2 15:18:53 2019view thread

I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...

By reximus11/6 15:40Tue Jun 11 15:40:03 2019

Views: 550

...but do they know that more than 100 horses have died at UK racecourses this year alone?

And deaths on racecourses are just one part of the sorry story to be told about commercial racing. The racing industry - which exists purely to feed the gambling industry - treats thoroughbreds as mere commodities, easily reproduced and replaced. It kills or dumps thousands every year when they fail to make the grade or when their racing days are over.

You bet, they die.

Edit: Not football. Sorry not sorry.

rex

Edited by reximus at 15:40:32 on 11th June 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people like this 5 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...

By Alastair11/6 16:31Tue Jun 11 16:31:01 2019In response to I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 403

Do you accept that 95%+ of horses in the UK lead absolutely fantastic lives, waited on hand and foot for their entire (and long) lives, in the vast majority of cases treated better than even the majority of humans in the UK?

Because that's the truth.

*Of course* racing needs to do more to protect horses from the unscrupulous people who don't look after their animals, and things are improving in that regard year on year. Mistreatment of horses is a horrible thing, as it is of any animal.

But you're telling me you'd rather 95% of horses don't exist and have fantastic lives just so a tiny (and decreasing) minority don't suffer?

4 people like this 4 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By reximus11/6 17:11Tue Jun 11 17:11:53 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 375

It can take even the fittest of horses many weeks to recover from the exertions of a race, yet Beyondtemptation, an 11 year-old pregnant mare, died last month after being forced to race THREE TIMES IN JUST 17 DAYS. Her unborn foal also died.

The British Horseracing Authority (supposedly responsible for horses' welfare) allows owners to force a mare to keep racing UP TO FOUR MONTHS into her gestation period.

rex

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Alastair11/6 18:49Tue Jun 11 18:49:06 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 357

Yep, that's one shocking and horrible example. The trainer in question should be ashamed and frankly, in my opinion, banned from the sport. The BHA need to do more in such cases. I've not denied there is mistreatment out there. It needs stamping out.

But would you deny all other racehorses, who have wonderful lives, the chance to live their wonderful and pleasurable existences because of a small number of instances of mistreatment?

There is also mistreatment of dogs, cats and all domestic pets. Would you ban people having pets too?

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Paddy (Paddy1)11/6 19:56Tue Jun 11 19:56:42 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 330

"There is also mistreatment of dogs, cats and all domestic pets. Would you ban people having pets too?"

If domestic pets were only owned for the purposes of sport I'd probably say yes.

I'm a bit hypocritical here (I assume, I dont think I am personally but I appreciate other people probably do) because I dont think animals should be used for human entertainment at all including horse racing, fox hunting greyhound racing... shit even snail racing - however - I'm not a vegetarian/vegan & enjoy eating meat which I suppose is a form of human entertainment.

Animatronics have come such a long way... let's just get Disney to make a load of robo horses with varying traits & meet in the middle.

Sorry to weigh (or should that neigh? No? Ok I'll go...) in there on the debate :)

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By reximus11/6 19:14Tue Jun 11 19:14:02 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 356

Did you know that horses are the only animals who may be beaten in public for entertainment?

Many jockeys repeatedly misuse the whip because, even when they are found guilty of misconduct (and the threshold for such a finding is ludicrously high), they still keep their riding fees and may not lose their winnings.

rex

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Alastair11/6 19:26Tue Jun 11 19:26:56 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 340

Avoiding the question but I’ll respond anyway.

Modern whips used in the UK do not hurt horses at all. There’s plenty of videos around of people being struck by the so-called “whips” to prove that point. Horses are not “beaten”.

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By reximus11/6 19:36Tue Jun 11 19:36:24 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 341

Did you know that in 2018, ten horses died at Cheltenham racecourse, seven of them during the four-day Cheltenham "Festival"?

rex

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Alastair12/6 07:37Wed Jun 12 07:37:35 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 352

I’m refuting your points one by one. You’re ignoring that, of course.

Yes, horses very occasionally die in running. The rate varies due to natural variation but is consistently well under 1%, usually a lot lower than that. The rate of horses dying in fields - just running around and playing - is significantly higher than that. Horses are very fragile animals and a broken leg is nearly always fatal to them; they also suffer from colic and many other ailments that are not always treatable.

Horses like running. It’s horrible seeing a horse die in running for everyone, you, me, but especially the people who look after him or her every day of their lives.

The idea that if horses were left in their fields, they wouldn’t have accidents, is stupid and ignorant.

6 people like this 6 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By reximus12/6 09:14Wed Jun 12 09:14:48 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 319

I was trying to avoid taking the conversation too deeply into a side debate about the whip. But, since you press...

This from the RSPCA:

"There is no evidence to suggest that whipping does not hurt... So-called padded whips do cause pain – they may be less painful than traditional contact whips when applied in exactly the same manner. But jockeys wouldn’t use them if they didn’t inflict some pain on the horse."

(Edit: I have a whip. It's a padded one, from Bondara, so designed for consensual play. Shall I bring it along to a game one day and we can try it on you. Let's see if you still say they don't hurt...)

rex

Edited by reximus at 09:17:55 on 12th June 2019
Edited by reximus at 09:20:43 on 12th June 2019

1 person likes this 1 person   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Alastair12/6 09:58Wed Jun 12 09:58:01 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 286

In the words of Ron Burgundy, that escalated quickly!

1 person likes this 1 person   

By a krinkly12/6 10:49Wed Jun 12 10:49:37 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 288

Would it take place on the pitch at half time to maximize the entertainment value?

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)11/6 18:35Tue Jun 11 18:35:00 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 386

So many for and against here.
Two points of view both correct although contradictions.
If I agree with both I could be unable to get over the fence.
More interested in why the hard working people in the country have to use food banks while the rest are enjoying a good life

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Berkshire Hoop12/6 08:30Wed Jun 12 08:30:52 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 323

Excellent point, OSK.

Keith.

Why worry, be happy.

By Ohdear (Ksuals)12/6 09:25Wed Jun 12 09:25:14 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 313

All them dead horses - let's start eating horse meat. It no so bad

By ollie12/6 09:28Wed Jun 12 09:28:55 2019In response to Re: I know a lot of Ks fans enjoy horse racing...Top of thread

Views: 322

I ate horse 5 ways one night in Russia last summer.

2 people like this 2 people   

Previous thread: Walton planning permission.. by minky11/6 11:20Tue Jun 11 11:20:02 2019view thread