ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Never was by reximusYesterday 23:39Yesterday at 23:39:28view thread

Oldest article: FA Youth Cup draw by www.kingstonian.com6/9/2018 21:27Thu Sep 6 21:27:01 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Staying at KGF by BE19/6 11:45Wed Jun 19 11:45:35 2019view thread

SHELL GARAGE

By tim (36southlanenewmalden)14/6 12:56Fri Jun 14 12:56:06 2019

Views: 534

The one by Richmond Road,that caused an outcry when land sold off NO I DONT REMEMBER i read about it ...BET YOU DO KRINKLY anyway Its being either demolished or rebuilt

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: SHELL GARAGE

By David Crawt14/6 16:43Fri Jun 14 16:43:45 2019In response to SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 367

As you stand on the other side of the road and look directly at the Shell garage, which is, or certainly was, called 'Kingstonian', one of the entrances to the old K's ground was immediately on the right.

I believe there are two houses there now.

See the first photo of my video.

https://youtu.be/PT9fU_T17xk

By K's196014/6 18:41Fri Jun 14 18:41:36 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 305

Yes your correct.

By a krinkly14/6 15:35Fri Jun 14 15:35:48 2019In response to SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 368

Errrrr..... Kingstonian Garage was there when K's played at Richmond Road and was still there the last time I had the misfortune to drive from Kingston to Richmond.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Ali (ali.kazemi)14/6 18:53Fri Jun 14 18:53:44 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 301

It wasn't on the site of the main stadium but wasn't it and off previously when we had two (!) pitches there.

By david33k18/6 12:59Tue Jun 18 12:59:15 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 273

I'm not sure we ever really had two pitches at Richmond Road. Surbiton Byron - choccie brown shirts and white shorts played on the back pitch. Games generally took place before K's matches. No floodlights on back pitch. All four teams shared the changing rooms though. The new / old / extinct clubhouse was built when the second pitch (also what we used at Latchmere for school sports day) was sold. The Richmond Road terrace housed a club shop which I manned for a few years and where the route from the R Road turnstile came into the main ground a refreshment hut stood in the corner. There was a significant amount of space behind the R Road hill and the back wall - we could have built a stand like Woking's!

3 people like this 3 people   

By a krinkly18/6 13:13Tue Jun 18 13:13:25 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 266

There were separate changing rooms on the back pitch, at times games were played on it during K's matches - we used to sneak a peek from the too of the grass bank.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By david33k18/6 18:49Tue Jun 18 18:49:05 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 235

Your memory is obv better than mine. I used to watch my neighbour play for Surbiton then just walk past the changing rooms to watch Ks reserves or first in the “big game”. You may be older than me as well as I dont remember a grass bank. I remember using a flamethrower to clear the Richmond Road terrace pre season 75/76 or thereabouts.

By a krinkly18/6 19:47Tue Jun 18 19:47:33 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 218

I moved to Northants in 1971 but took my toddler son ( born late 72) to a reserve match that would be 1974 I think, we stayed in the stand. I can't be certain but don't recall any major differences to the ground like the grass bank removed. When was that end levelled to build the new club house?

By david33k19/6 12:23Wed Jun 19 12:23:03 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 192

I would say about 76/77, maybe a year or so later. I was just a mid teen but at the end of the first season Freddie Jones invited the Supporters Club team (who he didn't like) and Jack G's group (who he liked even less) up to the "boardroom" in the new building - which looked over the pitch towards the Richmond Road end - I think we had made an exotic signing from France - Didier ? (not Drogba could be Adam) - historians can correct. Supporters club were able to use front downstairs bar for meetings Monday night but game days it was for players patrons etc only. Supporters club would use main area behind for fundraising events.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)19/6 13:12Wed Jun 19 13:12:32 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 167

Certainly remember going into the new club house after a game for refreshments and a partition dividing the hierachy from anyone else being folded back at a later stage.
Selling off "land" was extremely controversial but the agument always was it would be the only way to raise the money to improve the pitch and build the clubhouse which would guarantee the clubs financial future.
The plans for fund raisers and social events never really seemed to get off the ground with our great friend Jim doing his best behind the bar when it was sometimes open.
Very young then but memories may well suggest that if the arguments were correct it only became a lost opportunity.

By K's196018/6 16:25Tue Jun 18 16:25:00 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 233

sometimes better than the fare being served up on the main pitch, of course on very rare occasions.

By a krinkly14/6 19:08Fri Jun 14 19:08:34 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 296

After Richmond Road was demolished the only part of the ground still existing was the back wall of the Kingstonian Garage, it was the part of the perimeter wall of the ground at the rear of the main 'Richmond Road' terrace. Am I being told that the Garage is no longer there? If so when did that happen?

By tim (36southlanenewmalden)14/6 19:40Fri Jun 14 19:40:43 2019In response to Re: SHELL GARAGE Top of thread

Views: 270

Krinkly i saw jcbs digging on TUES 11th so id say May June

Previous thread: Hayden Bird by Gary Walker18/6 21:35Tue Jun 18 21:35:42 2019view thread