ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Folkestone Invicta match report by www.kingstonian.comToday 19:17Today at 19:17:32view thread

Oldest article: WORTHING by tim31/1 16:35Thu Jan 31 16:35:48 20191 person dislikes this 1 personview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: The first day of pre-season by www.kingstonian.com1/7 13:09Mon Jul 1 13:09:25 2019view thread

Updates to K's archives

By RichardNW27/6 09:38Thu Jun 27 09:38:28 2019

Views: 1857

Done a couple of updates to the K's archives:

1890-1893 season as Kingston Wanderers-

http://www.kingstonianhistory.co.uk/Pre%201918/1890-1893/Season%20Review-1890-1893.htm

There's not that much going on- just friendly matches with one appearance in a charity festival game played at Richmond Road which was at the time the ground of Kingston Rugby Club. We get a write up on a K's legend- the only K's player to kill someone during a game (too soon?). I suppose I shouldn't joke as it's a sad social history story that says much about the quality of medical care at the time. Also one for Taimour where Old Centrals (Wimbledon) hold a committee meeting to decide that the result of their game against Kingston Wanderers Reserves was a draw and not a defeat. Who made them God? Our official record is a win for Kingston Wanderers, but both us and the Wimbledon history site do have an asterix against the score!

Also looking at the web traffic I've realised that what people really want to see is programmes and pictures so I have added a badly designed gallery of photos up to 1970 that mainly cover the social history side of the club- crowd pictures, a compliment to David Crawt's photos of Richmond Road with old pictures that show the ground in some detail as well as a few old team photos and the two Amateur Cup finals.
I've tried to make pages with titles that group similar photos together and sometimes that has been a bit random just to make up a page worth. There was one page "Women of Kingstonian", that I wasn't too sure about as it combines some women who put their life and soul into the club with cheerleaders and Miss Kingstonian but it did give me a page worth of photos and the people I have shown the gallery to so far haven't raised any issues but I'd welcome feedback if this seems inappropriate.

http://www.kingstonianhistory.co.uk/Gallery/PhotoGallery.htm

reply to this article | return to the front page

7 people like this 7 people   

Re: Updates to K's archives

By tim (36southlanenewmalden)29/6 17:09Sat Jun 29 17:09:52 2019In response to Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 955

Rich,re the OXFORD GAME ,being travel sec the second time we went i started collecting money ,halfway thru its off,wen got home i spent entire night working out who had and hadnt paid
Footnote to that was when it did go ahead ,the monday befor the Thursday,about 6 15 my phone rang,a booking,put fone down,5 seconds later rang ,THAT WENT ON THE WHOLE EVENING , was going to read paper,NEVER GOT A CHANCE

3 people like this 3 people   

By K's196029/6 12:34Sat Jun 29 12:34:50 2019In response to Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 979

I was on the coach that went to Darlington for the Ferryhill game. We arrived in daylight and it was sunny and snow on the ground. Later on we were told the game was off, despite our willingness to clear the snow, all to no avail. A local hostelry was our HQ, there the team and officials were so angry and one of them said we will make them pay for that.Reg oaks said training was taking place on Sunday, "come and join" us he said, we did The following Saturday I couldn't make the replay so went to watch a reserve game. after about 20 minutes the Tannoy crackled out the latest score , " the latest from Ferryhill K's" then silence and crackle crackle "4 Ferryhill 1" Johnny Whing scored a trademark Hat-trick . Cheers from the crowd.

By swindondave29/6 13:02Sat Jun 29 13:02:44 2019In response to Re: Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 971

I remember(just about), going to Whitley Bay. We must have gone up on a night train because I seem to recall ending up on the beach at about 8am.
The weather was awful, as was the pitch and K's weren't any better unfortunately.
I don't think that Whitley Bay has a railway station so we must have travelled via Newcastle.

2 people like this 2 people   

By RichardNW29/6 15:18Sat Jun 29 15:18:46 2019In response to Re: Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 973

Great stories- I guess however annoyed you were at the time it was worth it for the memory.

The only postponement that was much a problem for me were those two Oxford City ones when we got promoted. Turned up to the ground the first time but at least we had a chat with a very down to earth Dave Leworthy, turned up to set off for the second one before finding out it was off. I think there were will still doubts about the 3rd game and 3 work day sneaking off earlies in one week wasn't great but it was worth it in the end.

Did either of you do the Wingate game in the snow? I could see 1920's games going ahead but was very odd seeing one as late as 1969.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By K's196029/6 18:37Sat Jun 29 18:37:51 2019In response to Re: Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 937

Yes they are great memories. Sorry I can't help with the Oxford City games, elsewhere at the time but still very nail biting.

By swindondave29/6 16:35Sat Jun 29 16:35:28 2019In response to Re: Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 962

The most annoying postponement for me was the Sutton trophy game. I was working in Belgium at the time and flew over. Unless I'm mistaken, we won the rescheduled game 6-0 and I couldn't get over for that.
I seem to remember that games at Tooting were always susceptible to being cancelled. At one game that was played we were standing on a bank at the far end and a lightning bolt hit something about 20 yards away. That would have been in about 1964-5.

By a krinkly30/6 15:42Sun Jun 30 15:42:58 2019In response to Re: Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 921

Nothing spectacular on the postponement front, hearing on Radio Surrey the match at Kingsmeadow had just been called off (water) as I drove through Tolworth after the 2.30pm gander at the Forum said it was on.
Getting within a few miles of Aylesbury (cup game) to hear it was off - frozen pitch on the same day Farnborough were being thrashed by Arsenal.

A wet day in the 60's, on arriving at Aldershot station with a load of other Hatters fans to find a chalk board notice it was off, get back to Surbiton with time to get a bus to Richmond Road - match off also, it was a bit of a monsoon.

Edited by a krinkly at 15:43:32 on 30th June 2019

1 person likes this 1 person   

By tim (36southlanenewmalden)27/6 19:37Thu Jun 27 19:37:41 2019In response to Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 1091

ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC Rich, Re Ks on tour page the ROMFORD foto, i showed this to JACK GOODCHILD and he said it is him holding the fag in front.

By les27/6 16:55Thu Jun 27 16:55:14 2019In response to Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 1109

Brilliant stuff Richard. Thanks for all your hard work. An amazing site.

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)27/6 16:04Thu Jun 27 16:04:44 2019In response to Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 1113

this is brilliant, Richard. So many great photos i'd never seen before, including a K's team on tour in Spain in 1967. A certain "Bob Butler" took those pics - any relation to the Butler family?

http://www.kingstonianhistory.co.uk/Gallery/PhotoGallery.htm

By RichardNW27/6 16:53Thu Jun 27 16:53:53 2019In response to Re: Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 1088

Bob Butler was a K's keeper in the 1960's- I did wonder myself if there was a link but probably not.

He moved to Dulwich with a load of "Kingston rejects" when I think half the Dulwich team came from K's and obviously played a blinder against us, prompting K's fans to moan about how he never played like that for us- an often repeated comment every season ever.

I got to meet him briefly at Leatherhead and he still comes down occasionally- Really nice bloke and very helpful with photos and the like. In fact an awful lot of stuff has come from ex K's keepers- John Birch, Brian Wakefield and Bob Butler- keepers must have a bit of a collecting bug.

By K's196027/6 11:17Thu Jun 27 11:17:08 2019In response to Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 1144

Excellent stuff Richard thank you.

By swindondave27/6 18:40Thu Jun 27 18:40:06 2019In response to Re: Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 1088

Really good photos Richard. Well done. Saw myself in one or two and even an old girlfriend and friends from the 60's. Brilliant.

Does Rex have a time machine?

By a krinkly27/6 17:07Thu Jun 27 17:07:24 2019In response to Re: Updates to K's archivesTop of thread

Views: 1138

There he is in the Kingston On Thames team masquerading as J Knight 07/08 and 08/09!

Great archive Richard.

Or did J Knight have a time machine and he's masquerading as Rex?

Edited by a krinkly at 17:09:56 on 27th June 2019

Previous thread: Red seats by Taimour27/6 13:08Thu Jun 27 13:08:02 2019view thread