ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Grays expelled from FA Cup by supahoops7Today 07:05Today at 07:05:55view thread

Oldest article: Tuesday at Camberley by a krinkly14/10/2018 10:51Sun Oct 14 10:51:18 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Did you know this is happening? by reximus27/7 14:31Sat Jul 27 14:31:10 2019view thread

Betting and non league

By Vicky (Alan L.)23/7 11:44Tue Jul 23 11:44:02 2019

Views: 611

For those interested there is an article by Sam Cunningham in today's i. 450000 children between 11 and 16 regularly betting! Beggars belief.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   

Re: Betting and non league

By John Bangs27/7 07:50Sat Jul 27 07:50:23 2019In response to Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 223

Last night, the Supporters Club Committee noted the considerable concerns expressed by fans about the decision to have an online betting company as the league’s sponsors. It is understood the Club’s Directors are also very unhappy about this development.

This is chiefly because of the social problems caused by online gambling (well documented on the Forum) and resultant safeguarding complications caused by the sponsorship for clubs.

Furthermore, FA rules preclude the club’s players, officials or volunteers from betting on football: so it seems absurd to have an online betting firm as league sponsor.

It seems inappropriate to force a Club like Ks to promote online gambling when we are building our profile amongst young people and have community partnerships with Kingston Young Carers and Mind in Kingston.

IKingstonian FC will have to follow instructions from the League on logo placement and advertising,. These do not apply to the Supporters Club. We will therefore simply call the Isthmian League by it’s real name and make no reference to the betting company .

We will further show our concern by promoting information about charities that support people struggling with gambling addiction.

This is not a general moral crusade against betting but specifically concerns about the social problems caused by online betting and the resulting safeguarding issues caused for clubs.

7 people like this 7 people   

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)27/7 08:39Sat Jul 27 08:39:41 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 214

Praise for the S.C. in this action but be carefull not to implicate the club into animosity with the league.
Fully support you JB and the supporters over this stupid deal.

3 people like this 3 people   

By John Bangs26/7 13:21Fri Jul 26 13:21:56 2019In response to Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 228

The Supporters Club Committee are meeting with John Fenwick and Yioryos tonight and will be discussing this with them. We understand that the Club ‘s Directors are as unhappy about this as many of us are

I will feed back on the discussions as soon as possible

By Alastair23/7 12:12Tue Jul 23 12:12:30 2019In response to Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 549

Interesting to see BetVictor getting negative press in a 'proper' paper - is all publicity good publicity?

By the way, I was so intrigued by that 450k figure that I went and googled the original Gambling Commission paper. While we'd all agree that kids gambling isn't a good thing, that's (thankfully) a pretty misleading overall figure: "the most popular form of gambling continue to be placing a private bet with friends". It also includes things like playing 2p machines in the arcades. Also intriguing to note that the level of 'gambling' in 11-16 year olds has remained constant over time, so these betting adverts aren't yet having any proven effect on young people themselves. [Clearly they're having an effect on those over 16 or they wouldn't spend so much money advertising].

By reximus23/7 16:18Tue Jul 23 16:18:27 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 483

I'm confused. If you "agree that kids gambling isn't a good thing", why would you post an article down-playing and mitigating the fact that an online betting company will be sponsoring a large part of the UK's community football leagues?

rex

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Alastair24/7 16:14Wed Jul 24 16:14:08 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 384

"why would you post an article down-playing and mitigating the fact that an online betting company will be sponsoring a large part of the UK's community football leagues?"

When and where did I do that?

By reximus24/7 17:02Wed Jul 24 17:02:32 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 376

Really? REALLY?

I had you down as an intelligent bloke, and with a pretty good command of English. Obviously I was wrong. I'll just gloss over your opinions more quickly, in future.

rex

4 people dislike this 4 people

By a krinkly24/7 17:10Wed Jul 24 17:10:57 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 360

Errrr.... you haven't answered his question.

4 people like this 4 people   

By reximus24/7 17:17Wed Jul 24 17:17:13 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 356

Don't you start.

rex

2 people dislike this 2 people

By a krinkly24/7 17:20Wed Jul 24 17:20:58 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 353

But this is an open forum, aren't you always telling me that?

2 people like this 2 people   

By reximus24/7 17:23Wed Jul 24 17:23:08 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 363

Yup, you're open to portray yourself as a fool who doesn't understand how language is used, if you wish. Just don't ask me to play along.

rex

7 people dislike this 7 people

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)24/7 18:30Wed Jul 24 18:30:36 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 400

You can play along with me Rex but first what is your serious problem with betting and horses ?
It would be a great new world without the bookies and various other advertisers and sponsors but where would so many underfunded sports be without them.
I applaud your sentinents

By a krinkly24/7 17:41Wed Jul 24 17:41:29 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 352

Sea breeze not having much effect there Rex? It's bloody warm here.

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)23/7 14:39Tue Jul 23 14:39:45 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 444

Very sad the way we are going here with betting,drugs,sex and drinking with our young people.Very worrying.
Some European countries dont fare a lot better but in the wider world the situation is very different.
Is Sodam and Gamorah beconing.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By ollie23/7 19:04Tue Jul 23 19:04:20 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 398

Lucky bastards.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Ohdear (Ksuals)23/7 16:26Tue Jul 23 16:26:37 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 430

I thought surveys showed drinking falling among youngsters so only three things to be in a moral froth over. Was ever thus.

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)23/7 16:32Tue Jul 23 16:32:02 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 420

Drinking generally falling by volume but rising in revenue but not sure on the age groupings

By Ohdear (Ksuals)23/7 16:46Tue Jul 23 16:46:04 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 422

Goggle NHS survey.

By Ohdear (Ksuals)24/7 06:12Wed Jul 24 06:12:40 2019In response to Re: Betting and non leagueTop of thread

Views: 399

Hmm those evil corrupters of morals sponser 27 football clubs in England's top two divisions .
Blimey it's a wonder the number of gambling children is only 450000

2 people like this 2 people   

Previous thread: Saturday's match v Tonbridge Angels by www.kingstonian.com26/7 12:00Fri Jul 26 12:00:28 2019view thread