ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Saturday's match v Dartford by www.kingstonian.comToday 12:00Today at 12:00:22view thread

Oldest article: Bostik League Premier Division results by Football Web Pages.co.uk12/11/2018 21:45Mon Nov 12 21:45:29 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: The Draw. by supahoops79/9 10:25Mon Sep 9 10:25:53 2019view thread

Ks win the FA cup...

By reximus8/9 17:31Sun Sep 8 17:31:25 2019

Views: 654

... first round game against Walton Casuals this afternoon.

2-0. Goals from Ollie Cook (67) and Louie Theophanous (75). Attendance: 376.

rex

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people like this 5 people   

Re: Ks win the FA cup...

By Morgs8/9 19:14Sun Sep 8 19:14:00 2019In response to Ks win the FA cup...Top of thread

Views: 546

Ay, caramba!
In the hat. Which is all that matters.
But the £4,500 bagged from the FA Cup proze fund also matters a bit.
Been away, so this was my first game this term. Of any description. Not even seen any "Greed Is Good League" (Copyright: Brian Glanville / Gordon Gekko) games on TV.
Maybe I'm getting Alzheimer's.
18 weeks is a long time at my age.
Was the football on display really as bad last season as it was this afternoon?
I'm not launching into a major slag-off, as nobody on the field was especially dire. It just seemed the whole team never got going, in what was a slow-paced and largely tackle-free game for the first three-quarters of the match.
But that was appalling, eyebleeding football. It was hard to tell the Ryman One South relegation candidate from the Combined Counties League straggler. That's about the level the average groundhopper, of whom there were many in attendance, would've assumed the clubs played at on this evidence.
Walton have lost all five Southern League games this season. Against clubs currently 5th, 7th, 12th, 15th and 18th.
Their number 9 was three stone overweight. I doubt he'd break 18 seconds for 100m. And he still danced around our defence with worrying ease in the first half. Yes, it was Rene Howe. Yes, he was a "two-goals-every-three-games" man in the Conference with Kettering in the mid-noughties and he did make a few quid as a fringe player in the Football League for nigh-on a decade. But he was an aggressive, smallish, "big number nine" in his pomp. Dribbling around defences was never his strongest suit.
You can only beat what's in front of you.
K's achieved this.
There are seemingly some odd new rules this season.
The one making it an offence for the home theam to touch the ball in the opposition's half in the first five minutes wasn't one I'd heard of.
Overall, Walton must've had 60%+ possession.
Tolfs must've made twice as many saves as their keeper - though there were no worldies and only one tip-over from their #7 from his left & a couple of low sprawls when K's allowed crosses to find blue shirts 10 yards out were moderately difficult.
I think we had three corners - one before h-t and the pair their beanpole keeper flapped at two minutes apart in the second half, the first of which saw Ollie Cook bundle home in a slow-motion game of pinball. So \Walton must've won the corner count as well.
And they must've had at least twice as many free kicks.
Stats on their own mean nothing, but it wasn't like K's were executing a game plan by deliberately sitting back and looking to catch them on the break . Did sit back a long way at times though. Allowing the opposition to roll the ball about on your edge of the centre circle at 0-0 isn't something I'm keen on.
Three hoofs within ninety seconds of the restart troubled Walton more than most of the attacking endeavour displayed in the opening 45 minutes. Louie had a shot blocked from the first, Reece narrowly failed to haul-in the second and Louie rolled a toe-poke six inches wide of the wrongfooted keeper's left upright from the third. Not that I'm advocating hoofball.
Looking like 0-0 until the fortunate breakthrough. Hard to see angles sometimes, but I though Thompson should've had a dig instead of attempting the cross that hit a defender to win the crucial corner. Huge "Keeper!!" from their goalie at Fabio's floater... and the bugger, under no real pressure, meekly patted it about eight yards to the back stick before it was eventually scrambled home back at his near post. Dire. He made a pig's ear of the next one as well... and got booked for dissent.
Fair finish by Louie for the second.
Need to see a lot more pace - in the legs and in movement of the ball - a lot more movement on both sides of the ball, and a lot more passion against what I assume will be a typical bunch of Saaaaarf Essicks caravan-towers next week... or they're likely to take three points back east with them (together with hubcaps, wheels, catalytic converters, copper wiring and the lead & tiles off any roof they can reach with a ladder.)
Onwards and upwards.
In the hat.
Job done.

6 people like this 6 people   

By Morgs8/9 19:15Sun Sep 8 19:15:37 2019In response to Re: Ks win the FA cup...Top of thread

Views: 495

... and is it just me, or has that Anglo-Saxon burial mound in the goalmouth at the far end got bigger since last season? Any missing persons reported in the area over the summer?

Edited by Morgs at 19:15:54 on 8th September 2019

3 people like this 3 people   

By Alastair8/9 20:35Sun Sep 8 20:35:23 2019In response to Re: Ks win the FA cup...Top of thread

Views: 474

Glad I wasn’t the only one to notice this.

It’s absolutey farcical and something you wouldn’t even see in Sunday league. Casuals need to sort that out. When you stand on the byline on the side, the goal isn’t even perpendicular now! It’s a total joke.

By MC8/9 21:47Sun Sep 8 21:47:48 2019In response to Re: Ks win the FA cup...Top of thread

Views: 460

I also noticed that bump. Very odd.

Agree with the lengthy post above, I thought we were absolutely dire for an hour. Just no spark at all, and to be honest I sensed a goal coming for Walton right up until our scrappy opener.

Obviously I"m delighted we're in the hat, and in general I don't mind us being outplayed. But I expected the thing we would have to put up with this season under Hayden was having lots of possession in the other half but not doing much with it. Today we couldn't even get in the other half for long periods!

Feels like we are depending a lot on hopeful balls into the channels for Louie. That brought the fine second goal but we need more, particulartly in terms of connecting midfield and attack, whether through the middle or through the wingers.

1 person likes this 1 person   

Previous thread: Mick Sullivan interviews by www.kingstonian.com8/9 21:39Sun Sep 8 21:39:12 2019view thread