ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: East Thurrock United match re-arranged by www.kingstonian.comToday 18:23Today at 18:23:42view thread

Oldest article: 1-0 up by Iang7/11/2018 20:27Wed Nov 7 20:27:01 20181 person dislikes this 1 personview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: BetVictor Isthmian Premier Division results by Football Web Pages28/9 16:58Sat Sep 28 16:58:54 2019view thread

Grays expelled from FA Cup

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)20/9 13:49Fri Sep 20 13:49:23 2019

Views: 988

https://www.graysathletic.co.uk/news/club-statement-2467939.html

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Grays expelled from FA Cup

By ollie20/9 16:24Fri Sep 20 16:24:40 2019In response to Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 726

Did he play for them in the PSF against us? Will we be appealing that result?

By frankie6820/9 13:52Fri Sep 20 13:52:35 2019In response to Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 812

do we still get the prize money?

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)20/9 13:58Fri Sep 20 13:58:17 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 779

Will we definitely get a bye?

1 person likes this 1 person   

By David Crawt20/9 14:09Fri Sep 20 14:09:47 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 759

How sure are you about that?

Surely Heybridge Swifts will have a case to be reinstated which could mean K's playing them instead on a date to be arranged.

By KsOllie20/9 14:21Fri Sep 20 14:21:19 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 747

Apparently March Town will get reinstated ( a team playing in the thurlow Nunn Division 1. Step 10 of the football pyramid, who are based in March Cambridgeshire.)

We could be on for a bit of congestion on the fixture list. Harringey game could be pushed back

By David Crawt20/9 14:46Fri Sep 20 14:46:39 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 730

Yes, I see that now. I didn't realise that the infringement took place a couple of rounds back so, it is most likely that March Town will be reinstated.

By BE20/9 14:48Fri Sep 20 14:48:37 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 712

What about League matches played?

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)20/9 14:06Fri Sep 20 14:06:21 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 751

No text

Edited by WeHateWombles at 14:06:49 on 20th September 2019

By BE20/9 16:49Fri Sep 20 16:49:44 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 657

He is at Merstham now! Came on as a sub for Grays against March Town in FA Cup. Not been cleared Internationally.

By David Crawt20/9 19:04Fri Sep 20 19:04:21 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 583

He didn't play against March Town. The offence was committed in the previous round game against Heybridge Swifts so, really it should be them reinstated.
However, because another round has been played now, it's too late for that to happen so March get the nod instead.

By Morgs21/9 00:33Sat Sep 21 00:33:27 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 642

Unlucky for Grays that the bloke has been playing elsewhere with no IC. If the player was turning-out at a level more-or-less below the radar, that's not really their secretary's fault.
The number of times I've heard tales from secretaries who've asked a player, "Have you played in a Mickey Mouse Cup game this season?", got a resounding "No", then checked to find the twit appeared in the Mickey Mouse Cup for his former club less than a month ago!
Football can rail all it likes against discrimination and stereotyping, but "Footballers are thick!" is a more accurate generalisation than almost any similar sweeping condemnation of any social group.
March Town being reinstated is somewhat odd!
I'm sure their players are enjoying ringing their employers to ask for a half-day off at almost no notice.

Edited by Morgs at 00:34:14 on 21st September 2019
Edited by Morgs at 00:34:54 on 21st September 2019

3 people like this 3 people   

By JamieB (jmbrilley)21/9 11:41Sat Sep 21 11:41:04 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 581

It was to do with playing abroad. So easier for a secretary to say and check if they've recieved international clearance. The two clubs he played for beforehand also made the same mistake. Due diligence wasn't carried out and they got burnt. When I was an employer I had to make sure the person I was employing had the right to work, if they did not I would be fined. I think the punishment is harsh personally for Grays but I bet they won't make that mistake again.

By Morgs21/9 17:55Sat Sep 21 17:55:13 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 529

True - and I was just giving the cup eligibility example as an illustration of how awkward a secretary's job can be made by players - but International Clearance for a Division Eight footballer isn't quite the same thing as checking passports, work permits, licenses, insurance, vehicle documents, relevant certificates, professional qualifications or trade memberships, etc, is it? That lot's standard with employers these days and most of those pieces of paper have expiry dates.

The vast majority of players at this level will never need IC. This type of thing has happened quite a lot over the past 15 years - as the Wombles will attest - but thinking about IC when you sign an English player from just up the road may not occur to some otherwise diligent secretaries. I've genuinely never considered whether, "Have you ever played abroad?" should be on the list of essential questions asked by secretaries at this level, but I suppose it should. I wouldn't put it past some players to give an incorrect answer to the question.

Domestic eligibility, whether that's a matter of regulations, registration or disciplinary records, can almost always be verified online nowadays (though finding the relevant pages can be difficult) but I very much doubt that International Clearance is so easy to check. It's seemingly not unusual for secretaries to have severe difficulty in contacting the Ungobungistan FA by e-mail or telex.
As far as I'm aware, International Clearance is granted automatically by The FA after a short period of time, in the event that evidence of unavailing attempts to elicit communication from the Ungobungistan FA is provided... but that's not going to get Grays off the hook here.

By SDG (SDG (Ks))21/9 12:39Sat Sep 21 12:39:02 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 584

I feel sorry for Grays, too often teams get thrown out over obscure rules. It's not really the point to just say they should do due diligence, the point is that clubs are run by volunteers, and the FA don't do anywhere near enough to make that due diligence easy. Bear in mind the club has to do all the right to work checks you had to do as well, and tax, payroll, etc, for (if you have a manager like Dynan) up to 70 or 80 players in a season. And that's no one's day job, it's a hard pressed volunteer trying to juggle it with their own day job, their family and whatever else they're doing in their life.

The FA could make the whole thing a lot easier but they don't. They should just have a database of players and when you register someone it should flag if they need international clearance, or are suspended, or have an unpaid fine, or whatever other nonsense teams have their cup dreams ruined for. Then the due diligence is easy. But they don't do that, they leave it to hard pressed volunteers and players who don't know the rules (who honestly knew you needed international clearance to play college football) and time and again people understandably get caught out. The whole thing is so antiquated considering how awash football is with money - with the worst example being that £100m transfers are still registered by fax machine.

By K's196022/9 10:55Sun Sep 22 10:55:34 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 443

I like the point you made about volunteers. Where would clubs be without them ? The FA could have turned a blind eye and given the club a warning. The FA would say "Rules are Rules"

By Gazza5622/9 12:38Sun Sep 22 12:38:05 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 428

Hi
Thought you might like the views of a Grays supporter about the shambles that has gone on ...we signed the player in question after he had played for 2 other clubs and he even played in the FA trophy last season (not picked up by the FA) so the 2 other clubs go unpunished and the player goes unpunished .So although the "professional" at the FA failed to do their jobs last season the voulteers at Grays get hammered .The FA could have fined us but no they go overboard and take the money of us and kick us out the cup "FAIR" !!!!!! Yes we are angry but the chin less suits won't break us because we have had worse and will bounce back .

6 people like this 6 people   

By John Bangs22/9 13:21Sun Sep 22 13:21:12 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 423

Judging by postings here and other conversations, I think most Ks fans feel this was very unfair. I was certainly looking forward to your visit this afternoon. Incredibly, instead we have a mid week visit from a club from Step 10! Rediculous!

Good luck for the rest of the season.

By reximus22/9 16:23Sun Sep 22 16:23:36 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 397

I think most Ks fans feel this was very unfair.

Except probably Taimour who, in keeping with the laws of reverse Reaganomics, wants every other non-league club to fail.

rex

2 people like this 2 people   

By ollie22/9 18:10Sun Sep 22 18:10:03 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 376

I think more of our fans will become less sympathetic when this starts to impact our own fixture list. For example, I've had trains for Haringey booked for a number of weeks now - if that game comes under threat that's money down the drain for me on what was a very 'safe' game to book up for

By reximus22/9 18:57Sun Sep 22 18:57:08 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 386

Surely you don't expect the officials at the FA to care about the feelings, expenses or convenience of ordinary supporters when enforcing "rules is rules"?

rex

By RichardNW28/9 12:44Sat Sep 28 12:44:36 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 262

They might make an exception on Liverpool's case of course:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/liverpool-efl-cup-news-latest-ineligible-player-mk-dons-a9124051.html

By K's196028/9 16:54Sat Sep 28 16:54:50 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 209

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49862651 if there was this alternative for Grays then why wasn't it used ?

By ollie22/9 19:37Sun Sep 22 19:37:47 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 385

Exactly - so why are Grays bothering?!

By reximus22/9 22:10Sun Sep 22 22:10:18 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 339

I'm sure their supporters would expect them to appeal. And besides, all protest is valid, however hopeless.

rex

By Gary (gekins)21/9 22:34Sat Sep 21 22:34:31 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 525

£100m transfers are still registered by fax machine

They're not. Haven't been for several years.

By supahoops722/9 07:05Sun Sep 22 07:05:55 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 466

Feel a bit sorry for them, especially as they are recent recipients
of a 'community club' award. They have decent people running their
club, as do we. Honest mistake, secretaries nightmare with zero guidance
from the FA. I'd imagine Heybridge feel a bit aggrieved that we'll face March town
and not them. All a bit confusing.

2 people like this 2 people   

By RichardNW22/9 13:56Sun Sep 22 13:56:13 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 428

The Grays Chairman's statement suggests an appeal:

https://www.graysathletic.co.uk/news/chairmans-statement-re-fa-charge-and-cup-expulsion--2467951.html

"However, it is what it is and we remain hopeful that we can overturn the verdict at a subsequent appeal."

Will this affect the Wednesday scheduled match?

By K's196023/9 08:48Mon Sep 23 08:48:50 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 335

and what will the FA do? sweet FA

By supahoops722/9 14:07Sun Sep 22 14:07:33 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 434

In the scheme of things I would expect Grays to go through
procedure of appeal. What I don't get is the 'timeline' in all this.
If the appeal isn't upheld, our boys and March towns boys have
little or no time to re-arrange work commitments to play at short
notice. Also, wouldn't Heybridge have a right to claim reinstatement
as Grays eliminated them in the last round?
Either I'm confused or the FA are really out of line with this ruling.

By Max Hustwick Teenage Fan Club (MHTFC)22/9 23:16Sun Sep 22 23:16:03 2019In response to Re: Grays expelled from FA CupTop of thread

Views: 368

Feel really sorry for the Gray's Secretary, Janet Packer, in all this. I often contact clubs ahead of matches for any details that I'm short of in the matchday programme. I contacted Grays last weekend, and Janet replied within two hours and arranged for the details that I requested to be sent to me - which they duly were.

In recent weeks I have also had reason to request information from both Huddersfield Town and Queen of the South - but didn't even get the decency of an answer!

It's a thankless task being any sort of official in a 'small' club - why the hell do they bother?

4 people like this 4 people   

Previous thread: Rugby World Cup by supahoops728/9 10:54Sat Sep 28 10:54:36 2019view thread