ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Local Rag This End by BEYesterday 18:48Yesterday at 18:48:29view thread

Oldest article: K's Supporters Club at the Malden Fortnight by www.kingstonian.com18/7/2019 13:06Thu Jul 18 13:06:49 20191 person dislikes this 1 personview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: AFC Sudbury post-match interview with Hayden Bird by Ali23/11/2019 20:32Sat Nov 23 20:32:41 2019view thread

Still Vomiting

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)24/11/2019 09:11Sun Nov 24 09:11:45 2019

Views: 614

Scanned the vomit and guess what I couldnt find in the murky ad filled rag........
They do football,to some extent at least,just not us.They do sport but not us.
Lets hope that empty seat on Saturday will be filled with someone who may offer us something.Perhaps just a mere supporter.

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

Re: Still Vomiting

By SDG (SDG (Ks))24/11/2019 12:22Sun Nov 24 12:22:47 2019In response to Still VomitingTop of thread

Views: 539

It's very sad what has happened not just to the Comet but to local news full stop, locally and nationally. I often have to go on local papers' websites in researching my away day guides and almost without fail, they're of patchy quality and so full of intrusive ads that you can barely use the website.

The business model just doesn't work any more outside of the big cities and across the country titles are either shutting down or stripping back to a bare bones operation. That's what the Comet now is and it just seems to take content about Chelsea, Fulham, AFCW and Brentford that they presumably use right across South London. But when they have no staff there's nothing else they can do and it's very much about management and the difficulty of the internet age - I feel sorry for the few remaining staff who I'm sure are doing their best to cover a wide area among far too few of them.

It's devastating for clubs like us. When I was a kid the Informer and Kingston Guardian would be posted through the door every week, always containing proper Ks coverage on the back page. It's probably how I ever found out about the club in the first place, and about the first game I ever saw (which was the Peterborough Cup game, I've written a piece about it for the Fylde programme). It was weekly advertising for the club to thousands of homes in the borough and they also had a role in holding the ownership to account in difficult times. The Comet was of course paid for but had a wide circulation and even more in-depth coverage. Yes we have social media these days but it's no substitute for Ks being delivered through people's letterboxes every week.

It's hard to really blame the staff - as I understand it there are so few of them left that they just don't have the resources to cover clubs like Ks. At times over the years when they've wanted it, myself and other fans have sometimes provided content but I've always felt quite torn about that. As a Ks fan I of course want us to get good coverage but it still feels a bit uncomfortable to provide stuff for free that they used to pay journalists to do.

It's all very sad and I don't really see it turning around, either for The Comet for local newspapers more generally. But we do at least have to do our best to keep engaging with them in the hope it might turn round and to get whatever coverage we can. Shunning them is definitely not going to help and if they do want to send someone on Saturday we should welcome them - we are, after all, the only London or Surrey club playing in this round of the competition.

5 people like this 5 people   

By K's196024/11/2019 12:47Sun Nov 24 12:47:58 2019In response to Re: Still VomitingTop of thread

Views: 488

Agree, I was a paper boy in the fifties and I looked forward to delivering the Surrey Comet on a Wednesday & Saturday. The sports page was usually on the back so it made for quick and easy reading and K's were always there. Jack Goodchilds 'office' a maroon coloured BR van was plastered with news. Even a printers strike wasn't deterred from publishing with the directors Knapp Drewett rolling up there sleeves to get some sort of copy on the streets. It is very sad to see the rag now in shreds.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By ollie24/11/2019 12:32Sun Nov 24 12:32:40 2019In response to Re: Still VomitingTop of thread

Views: 486

I used to deliver The Informer. And before that I'd definitely agree it's how I first heard about K's - we didn't even have Teletext on our TV so I can't see any other way I would have known about K's existence.

By K's196024/11/2019 16:27Sun Nov 24 16:27:43 2019In response to Re: Still VomitingTop of thread

Views: 457

and it's a shame that teletext is going after 30th January 2020, not everybody has a smart phone or even a PC ,so much for the BBC's 'Let Nations Talk Unto Nations'

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)24/11/2019 12:29Sun Nov 24 12:29:15 2019In response to Re: Still VomitingTop of thread

Views: 493

Agreed. and, by the way, i have twice invited their Sports Editor to Saturday's game (he hasn't replied).

To be fair to him, he does put up the articles i send him, online at least. The paper itself is something of a lost cause.

On the plus side, a person is likely to discover K's exist much more easily from social media these days, through video and photos and so on. We are in a position to spread the word ourselves.

2 people like this 2 people   

By tim (36southlanenewmalden)24/11/2019 14:46Sun Nov 24 14:46:54 2019In response to Re: Still VomitingTop of thread

Views: 450

RE Tamours reply i e mailed the editor a while ago about coverage guess what Did nt even bother to reply

Previous thread: CAR PARKING. by old and grey24/11/2019 16:03Sun Nov 24 16:03:00 2019view thread