ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Jerry Puemo by Suom YnonaYesterday 22:01Yesterday at 22:01:06view thread

Oldest article: Posh new kit or.... by a krinkly2/7/2019 18:05Tue Jul 2 18:05:26 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Kingstonian Supporters Club Player of the Year 2019-20 by www.kingstonian.com7/4 16:32Tue Apr 7 16:32:07 2020view thread

Most enjoyable game that we lost

By RichardNW6/4 17:39Mon Apr 6 17:39:53 2020

Views: 2657

Something that might need a bit more thought.

I'm going to go with:

1. Cray FA Cup 2005- Lost 4-3 on sendings off but only because ex K's player Joe Francis, who was Cray's assistant manager, got sent off after the final whistle. We did lose the game as well but the twice retaken penalty near the end with more sendings off was great drama:

http://www.kingstonian.net/report.jsp?20052006/CrayAC

2. Hereford October 2000- Lost 3-0. Just the two sendings off but numerous bookings and it did look at one stage as though the K's team was going to take the advice of the fans in the KRE and walk off the pitch.

http://www.kingstonian.net/report.jsp?20002001/HerefordH

3. Colchester Jan 1992- FA Trophy. I think this was the biggest ground we had visited for a very long time probably dating back to the mid 1960's- an ex league club and a great performance as underdogs. I can't recall much singing going on at the start of the Kingsmeadow era but everyone was loud that day. We were winning 2-1 and the fans started a countdown at about 20 minutes singing a round of 17.. 17.. 17.. followed by 16.. 16..16.. a minute later. But an injury time goal gave Colchester a replay and we lost the replay 3-2. The injury time goal was controversial as according to Mark Murphy the linesman's flag was up for offside, a pitch invasion followed the goal and when the pitch invasion had finished the linesman's flag had gone down. Normally I wouldn't celebrate a plucky defeat but it was a case of being back in the big time again and for me the best K's day out at that date.

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people   

Re: Most enjoyable game that we lost

By K's19608/4 09:19Wed Apr 8 09:19:08 2020In response to Most enjoyable game that we lostTop of thread

Views: 1556

1955 Amateur Cup Game now well documented. Richmond Road was packed out although official figures belie the fact when I say it was over 10000. The atmosphere was electric and the game was covered by most of the daily newspapers. In addition to this we had a visit from 'The Man in the White Suit' to conduct community singing, this was the same person who normally appeared at Wembely in front of 100,000 + fans. As a 14 year old that was when I became a confirmed K's fan.

1960 Amateur Cup final with about 5 minutes to go the cup was in K's grasp then it went wrong, first the equaliser by Laurie Topp thundered in off the crossbar 1-1 OK a draw was not a disaster but then horror of horrors the winner came, the Wembley cramp caught up with Bryan Davies and the rest of this story is history.

1964 Amateur Cup semi-final v Enfield . Lost 3-2 This was played at Craven Cottage and looking at the pitch I thought the Thames had flooded the pitch. An excellent game and played at a fast and competitive pace. at 2-2 and with everything to play for and time running out Enfield scored. Johnnyy McCormack almost scored the equaliser running up the centre of the field like a Jack Rabbit, John was brought down by 2 players and I thought it was a penalty but the man in muddy black didn't give it

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people   

Previous thread: Ks players who went on to play in the football league by berlioz1/4 10:59Wed Apr 1 10:59:19 2020view thread