ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Đánh giá phiên bản di động của W88 by nvu54876Today 05:46Today at 05:46:50view thread

Oldest article: Eggy Eggy ENGLAND!!!! by a krinkly26/10/2019 11:05Sat Oct 26 11:05:35 20196 people dislike this 6 peopleview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Captain Tom by K's196030/4 16:36Thu Apr 30 16:36:53 2020view thread

Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly Interview

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)27/4 23:42Mon Apr 27 23:42:10 2020

Views: 2196

https://shows.acast.com/kingstonian-weaving-in-and-out/episodes/chris-kelly

Edited by WeHateWombles at 23:42:42 on 27th April 2020

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people   

Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly Interview

By doylie29/4 19:52Wed Apr 29 19:52:09 2020In response to Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1224

Blimey, Big Fat Geoff got thrown under the bus not once, but three times there by Teflon Kelly, an entertaining listen.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)29/4 22:04Wed Apr 29 22:04:05 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1197

Good to listen its the way we learn and in this case I dont believe Chris has had a fair chance to explain his side so we could listen.
Self critical which not all those in the debacle have been.
A good listen indeed

By Peter Borrett29/4 22:37Wed Apr 29 22:37:58 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1249

The critism was directed mainly at the other directors. Unfortunately relegated the year after the trophy win and same year FA cup run. AFC Fylde almost dod the same this year and rescued by corvid 19. If I remember that at the time of going into administration there wasn’t any communication prior to raise funds. We don’t know the directors thinking at the time. Its my view Geoff did an excellent job and there are many happy memories. As Rex said, he found Chris approachable and helpful as did I. In the last forty years there are numeros clubs that have had the mixture of success and then spending time homekess i.e Dartford, Maidstone, Waldstone ,Enfield all have been in trophy finals or the football league. However good a manager you maybe, when things aren’t going well result wise its more difficult to motivate etc. All the triumphs Brian Clough had then relegated with Forest, He didn’t suddenly become a bad manager. Very few clubs pass time without problems with one example being Sutton (that will provoke a response) whose biggest nightmare was the goalkeeping coach eating a huge burger in the dug out on tv) Anyway we’ll be back , hopefully a division higher with a community spirit in our own ground May take a little time but believe.

6 people like this 6 people   

By Iang28/4 12:27Tue Apr 28 12:27:18 2020In response to Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1288

Excellent as always - I must say this club is keeping us entertained and informed and included far better than most pro clubs - superb.

I went almost every home game( and 100s of away) throughout his time there as a player, manager, CEO etc. His voice and demeanor is that of someone who was singled out ( some would say rightly) for criticism - the frustration for history to be told is tangible. How poisoned he is to us now is very telling - "bumming a living down at Tolworth" "end of Kingstonian" are particularly telling. If Bumming means getting to the 2nd round proper and on football focus - with a great squad and superb manager ( and background team) is a minor miracle not bumming. With a current squad Budget of probably less than Dave Leworthy's wages ( he was worth it!) - a miracle it certainly is.

He makes some good points and was so close as to share at least some credit and blame in turn. A very good player and a taciturn, unapproachable manager. I used to love the actual V stated crowd lotto we used to play back then :-) Once again he would shoulder the inferred blame - probably unfairly.

I could name many many great memories that don't involve the 2 Wembley wins but he couldn't because the call for pleasant recollections was not what he wanted to convey as he is still scarred. And that is a shame.

If he reads this - I hope he can recall the good times and park the bad for a while - We are NOT Bumming and certainly not dead yet!

Up the Ks

Sussex Ks

6 people like this 6 people   

By reximus28/4 14:32Tue Apr 28 14:32:55 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1264

I always liked Chris Kelly. From the age of about 5 when my dad used to take me to watch Leatherhead play sometimes. He presented me with the Golden Boot when I played for Pelham Ashtead (aged maybe 8?). He was manager when I started following Ks and ensured that Alistair was always well looked after as a mascot or ball boy. If I visited Kingsmeadow on a non-match day, there would invariably be something going on the bar or the function room - I remember once upon a time the car park was full of double decker buses as the stadium was hosting a bus drivers' competition!

His interview seems to confirm that brown envelopes were the way of doing business back in the day. Fair enough. I have no idea of his wealth then or now but I only ever knew a man who worked bloody hard for his living.

rex

4 people like this 4 people   

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)28/4 14:23Tue Apr 28 14:23:59 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1243

Agree with almost all of that.
We love a hate and a love figure and CK seems to fit the bill for many as a hate figure.
Chapple of coarse gets all the credit but lost nothing,not even the car,while CK lost a lot of money as did Tom Dixon and others who put there finances where their mouths were.
Many mistakes made and the price to pay is still being felt but never say the man didnt give us our history in part and totally had his heart and his passion in it.

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)28/4 12:41Tue Apr 28 12:41:36 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1269

thanks Ian. i just can't help liking Chris. i know i shouldn't but there it is.

i must say my impression of the "bumming a living in tolworth" comment was more an expression of how far K's have fallen in terms of having had our own ground and security of tenure to being tenants at the mercy of Cor-Cas. I don't think it was a dig.

But i agree that when he says we're dead, well, we might not be the club as he knew it in the mid-90s, but we're still alive and kicking.

If people have requests for people to be interviewed, please ask. Coming up in the next fortnight: Cooper/Cook and Craig Edwards....

3 people like this 3 people   

By Iang28/4 12:48Tue Apr 28 12:48:12 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1262

Agreed Taimour, there is an undoubted loveable rogue element. Your interpretation of the 2 phrases does you proud - perhaps its a result of our 2 professions - although I must be falling down on Unconditional Positive Regard.

I feel like A A Gill - he did it , I just watched it.

Thanks again.

Bill McNally would be good.

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)28/4 12:55Tue Apr 28 12:55:43 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1260

forgive me: who is Bill McNally?

By Iang28/4 12:58Tue Apr 28 12:58:49 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1258

Ks Legend - as a fan and long time Club Secretary. He comes to games occasionally and was definitely there at the Fylde game.

By David Crawt28/4 14:35Tue Apr 28 14:35:12 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1253

Billy Mac worked for Royal Mail in Surbiton when I worked on the counter out in the front of the building.

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)28/4 16:00Tue Apr 28 16:00:30 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1231

Billy Mac still hanging out in Tolworth.
Was the best club secretary we ever had and never upset the league or the players.
Very much respected even when on occasions he could jump out of his pram.
Was excellent at counting the crowds in at home games.

By old and grey28/4 18:29Tue Apr 28 18:29:54 2020In response to Re: Weaving In and Out Episode 4: Chris Kelly InterviewTop of thread

Views: 1238

I have to agree that the KELLY era was our most successful
of that nobody would argue,but I and quite a few others at
the time thought with some justification that all was not as
it seemed to be.
We had the theft from the safe after a CHELSEA game,never
to my knowledge fully explained,we have him on the clubhouse
roof hiding from the VAT man,we have him locking himself in his
office refusing to pay the players,only when certain players
threatened to take the door off it's hinges did he relent and
although I never condone violence BILLY SMITH knocking
six bells out off him.
Whether you loved or loathed him he certainly was a colourful
character of that their is no doubt.

Previous thread: Interviews by Peter Borrett29/4 13:18Wed Apr 29 13:18:38 2020view thread