ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Potters Bar Town match report by www.kingstonian.comYesterday 23:13Yesterday at 23:13:55view thread

Oldest article: Super Hoopsaa by reximus13/10/2019 13:49Sun Oct 13 13:49:27 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Calum Davies by www.kingstonian.com17/6 16:01Wed Jun 17 16:01:58 2020view thread

WIAO Ep 9: Geoff Pitcher

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)16/6 22:35Tue Jun 16 22:35:06 2020

Views: 713

Intro: A hotel room before the 1999 Trophy Final; 2mins 15secs: K's: The history of an Apostrophe, with Ollie Steel; 8mins 10sec: Geoff Pitcher remembers 1999; 14mins: Not wanting to leave K's in 2001; 21mins 03secs: Why K's got relegated; 28mins 15secs: The curious case of K's going bust; 35mins 10secs: K's highlights; 46mins 05secs: Life under Chris Kelly; 52 mins: Regrets.

https://shows.acast.com/kingstonian-weaving-in-and-out/episodes/geoff-pitcher

Also on Google podcasts and itunes.

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people   

Re: WIAO Ep 9: Geoff Pitcher

By Butler17/6 14:57Wed Jun 17 14:57:34 2020In response to WIAO Ep 9: Geoff PitcherTop of thread

Views: 482

Great podcast, Pitch is without a doubt the GOAT in my opinion. I had no idea he actually wanted to stay after the relegation season but I’m not surprised that a number of teams went in for him. He was a magician with a ball, poetry in shorts, always a pleasure to watch. Should have been valued at a lot more then £200k I think, although I was always under the impression we received around £70k for him?

Where can Tarkan’s pre Wembley video be found? Don’t think I’ve ever seen that.

Up the K’s!

Re: WIAO Ep 9: Geoff Pitcher

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)18/6 09:34Thu Jun 18 09:34:41 2020In response to Re: WIAO Ep 9: Geoff PitcherTop of thread

Views: 357

The transfer fee was around £40,000 with add-ons if certain number of appearances were made. Hence why Brighton stopped playing him when he had made about a dozen. they didn't want to pay the extras so he went out to the Conference on loan.

The £200,000 offers were from Orient and others in early 2001 - i guess shortly after the FA Cup exit. We held on to him for the relegation fight...

I passed on your comment to Pitcher ("poetry in shorts") and he is very grateful.

He has also donated his 1999 Trophy shirt to the K's Club Museum (yet to be built at our yet-to-be-built new ground).

1 person likes this 1 person   

The apostrophe

By ollie17/6 08:58Wed Jun 17 08:58:14 2020In response to WIAO Ep 9: Geoff PitcherTop of thread

Views: 2009

Thanks again Taimour, love Pitch'.

For those interested in the apostrophe debate, the full transcript & justification of why we still carry it is below. I'd also like to give an additional shout out to RichardNW and his site /www.kingstonianhistory.co.uk/ - this informed a lot of the research.

The football club has been referred to as “Kingstonians” well before even the ‘split’ that created a club called “Old Kingstonians”. For example, a Surrey Comet match report from early 1894, when the official club name was “Kingston-on-Thames” (and pre-dating Old Kingstonians by some 14-15 years), opens “The Kingstonians were seen at their best on Saturday”. This wasn’t a one-off; evidence can be found in the Kingston Express, also referring to us as “The Kingstonians” in their 1893 reports. This was all within months of the new Kingston-On-Thames being formed as an attempted amalgamation of all senior association sides in Kingston at the time: the new club merged Kingston Wanderers (previously Saxons (previously Kingston & Surbiton YMCA)) with elements from The East Surrey Regiment (Kingston), Middle Mill and Malden (despite these latter three all officially falling out of the merger, personnel from each were to form part of the new club) to form what was meant to be a single club for all Kingstonians to get behind.

From 1908 though, during the ‘split’ years, “Kingstonians” was actually part of our official name (for half the club) as Kingston On Thames vied with Old Kingstonians – commonly abbreviated to “O.K.’s” or “O.K’s”: the earliest iterations of a “K’s” nickname – and grammatically correct abbreviations using apostrophes.

Following cessation of the war and the subsequent re-merger of the two clubs in 1919, despite the new official club name being “Kingstonian”, the club was commonly referred to as “Kingstonians” – the match report of our very first game as Kingstonian called us Kingstonians and references to “Kingstonians” outnumbering those of “Kingstonian” across the Surrey Advertiser and Surrey Comet can be seen for years. This has continued, albeit not quite to the same extent, until the present day.

Many K’s fans take exception to being called Kingstonians, but we should embrace it – it is our heritage. Kingstonian has been our club name officially since 1919, but as followers or representatives of the club we are all Kingstonians and always have been – even before there was a split club called “Old Kingstonians”.

With regards to the apostrophe within K’s, it is sound to keep it both from a historical and grammatical sense. “K’s” (with an apostrophe) pre-dates “Kingstonian”. K’s is not an abbreviation of Kingstonian, it is in itself an abbreviation of “O.K’s”, which grammatically correctly used the apostrophe. You could argue that we should add an apostrophe to represent the dropped “O”, but that would do a disservice to the united club that came together in 1919. The present day “K’s” (with apostrophe) represents that we are all Kingstonians (for which the apostrophe is grammatically correct) but also links our apostrophised nickname back to it’s original 19th and early 20th century origins – pre-dating “Kingstonian”.

The end. COYK's.

6 people like this 6 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Re: The apostrophe

By reximus17/6 11:48Wed Jun 17 11:48:45 2020In response to The apostropheTop of thread

Views: 501

I applaud your sense of history but would question your slavish adherence to grammar (always a fickle and unreliable mistress) over common sense and a sense of style.

Grammatically, there is plenty of justification for writing "Ks". Aesthetically,"Ks" looks way better than "K's", whether on a shirt-sleeve or a website. Arguably, your adherence to grammar would see "K's fans" written as "K's' fans" - ludicrous.

Does supporting your favourite football team demand perfect grammar anyway?

C'mon u Ks (as I like to say).

rex

2 people like this 2 people   6 people dislike this 6 people

By Paddy (Paddy1)17/6 15:52Wed Jun 17 15:52:42 2020In response to Re: The apostropheTop of thread

Views: 427

"Does supporting your favourite football team demand perfect grammar anyway?"

(Apologies in advance)

Only if you support Reading.

4 people like this 4 people   

By K's196017/6 16:36Wed Jun 17 16:36:42 2020In response to Re: The apostropheTop of thread

Views: 403

I don't think so. When I first went to Richmond Road and heard the call to arms Come on you Ks it wasn't Come on you K (apostrophe) s just a good COME ON YOU KS

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By a krinkly17/6 17:05Wed Jun 17 17:05:18 2020In response to Re: The apostropheTop of thread

Views: 413

Ahhh but punctuation is silent when used verbally, so your point isn't valid.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By K's196017/6 18:43Wed Jun 17 18:43:54 2020In response to Re: The apostropheTop of thread

Views: 365

Once again I stand corrected.

By Peter Borrett17/6 17:30Wed Jun 17 17:30:18 2020In response to Re: The apostropheTop of thread

Views: 388

I think Victor Borge who demonstrates phonetic punctuation proves otherwise

3 people like this 3 people   

By a krinkly17/6 18:33Wed Jun 17 18:33:34 2020In response to Re: The apostropheTop of thread

Views: 371

But that's laughable - very very laughable......one of his best.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Iang17/6 12:46Wed Jun 17 12:46:51 2020In response to Re: The apostropheTop of thread

Views: 447

With you all the way Rex - Whither poor grammar - Up the Ks

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Max Hustwick Teenage Fan Club (MHTFC)17/6 13:42Wed Jun 17 13:42:24 2020In response to Re: The apostropheTop of thread

Views: 448

Same for me - C'mon you Ks!

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

By a krinkly17/6 09:28Wed Jun 17 09:28:43 2020In response to The apostropheTop of thread

Views: 470

And there all you shameful apostrophe droppers is THE definitive answer to the Great Apostrophe Debate, end of. Well done Ollie!

6 people like this 6 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

Previous thread: Weaving In and Out Podcast Episode Nine - Geoff Pitcher by www.kingstonian.com17/6 10:00Wed Jun 17 10:00:18 2020view thread