ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Potters Bar Town match report by www.kingstonian.comYesterday 23:13Yesterday at 23:13:55view thread

Oldest article: Super Hoopsaa by reximus13/10/2019 13:49Sun Oct 13 13:49:27 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Elliott Buchanan by BE2/8 18:47Sun Aug 2 18:47:50 2020view thread

Test events

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)1/8 07:48Sat Aug 1 07:48:51 2020

Views: 877

The 2-week postponement of various fan-attended test events is not good for the proposed September resumption of non-league. Those events were meant to be stepping stones/give confidence for wider loosening.

I still don't understand why it's ok to sit in a pub to drink alcohol but not ok to go outside and watch a horsey run or a batsman bash a cricket ball. Or why we are being told to go back to work in offices at the same time as grim warnings of a second wave are issued.

I'd be interested to know how many Ks fans would stay away if we did start in mid September. I'd predict very few....

Edited by WeHateWombles at 07:49:19 on 1st August 2020

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people like this 5 people   

Re: Test events

By Generic_K3/8 00:54Mon Aug 3 00:54:44 2020In response to Test events Top of thread

Views: 605

Its a sad fact that there is a higher probably that I will be killed on the cycle to a game, than contract Covid at any point and die. Life is full of risk.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)3/8 10:05Mon Aug 3 10:05:48 2020In response to Re: Test events Top of thread

Views: 264

But there is a higher risk of you (or me) going to K's while asymptomatic and passing on Covid to someone elderly/vulnerable than there is of either you or me cycling into an elderly/vulnerable K's fan on the sliproad...

Anyway, i'm in favour of football starting with fans. But what looks very do-able at Isthmian Premier level (250 people standing outside with plenty of room - indeed there was a crowd of 187 at a Step 7 friendly up north on Saturday) is more complicated in the Vanarama National, with higher crowds and "proper" stadiums. And we all start and stop, stand and fall, together.

By Generic_K3/8 14:47Mon Aug 3 14:47:43 2020In response to Re: Test events Top of thread

Views: 244

Granted that grounds are all different and some will be easier than others to socially distance, but as it stands, I can go down to KGF or a multitude of public houses in the borough and sit inside in the bar watching a game on the TV without putting anyone else's health at risk, but as soon as I walk outside and watch a live game in the ground I'm putting other People at risk....

1 person likes this 1 person   

By ollie3/8 11:13Mon Aug 3 11:13:48 2020In response to Re: Test events Top of thread

Views: 266

I'm assuming the 187 you speak of is Wombwell. The obvious difference there is that their ground is huge. If only there were a couple of large stadiums in Kingston with fewer choke points than our current home....

3 people like this 3 people   

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)3/8 07:47Mon Aug 3 07:47:03 2020In response to Re: Test events Top of thread

Views: 263

It may well be true you can have a mishap on the way to a game or bar or anywhere else but your destination must still be a safe place for you to enjoy by yourself or your family.
My experience in a bar is that while its slow getting people back,when they do come in and see how safe it is they then teturn.

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)3/8 08:08Mon Aug 3 08:08:53 2020In response to Re: Test events Top of thread

Views: 263

I may be skewed since I see more central london than suburban pubs but there seems to be very little social distancing.

Restaurants remain largelyclosed/empty.

The tube is still deserted.

By SDG (SDG (Ks))1/8 10:31Sat Aug 1 10:31:56 2020In response to Test events Top of thread

Views: 490

The problem with test events is probably not the sitting there, it's the moving around crowded concourses, getting there by public transport, etc that is difficult. Pubs, for all the media's keen efforts to pounce where social distancing hasn't been well enforced, are for the most part a lot easier to manage. You can't have zero risk but I've been to a few pubs and restaurants since they opened and all have felt well-managed to me. But then I've not been going to busy places on Friday or Saturday nights so other people may have a different experience.

For me it is simply too early to say whether I'll go to Ks in September, both in terms of the situation with the virus and what measures will be in place at Ks. If it is the 'old normal' of a busy terrace behind the goal, bundles when we score, that bottleneck by the tunnel, then it's obviously not safe. But Ks is a social thing, if my mates stopped going I probably would too - certainly to away games - so if it means just literally standing on my own on a cold, wet terrace 2m from anyone else then no thanks, there are better ways to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Hopefully there's a happy medium that keeps it safe while not sucking all the fun out, I'll wait for details. I'd have thought older fans or those with health conditions will be more reluctant though and income streams like the bar won't be there - so I do worry that clubs are going to find themselves with a 'normal' playing budget but a below normal income.

I suspect from the news over the last few days though that it's all academic and we won't be restarting in September.

Edited by SDG (Ks) at 10:33:49 on 1st August 2020

By MC2/8 15:17Sun Aug 2 15:17:38 2020In response to Re: Test events Top of thread

Views: 350

Personally I can't see much of an issue with non-league grounds like KGF.

You'd have to manage the bar situation properly, but I'm sure that can be done in the same way as pubs have adjusted. You might have to have a one-way system around the ground to prevent bottlenecks near the tunnel. You might even need some kind of social distancing in the stands, but if the main consequence of that is that I have to be two metres away from the next person along, I'm sure I'll manage. Might even make it look like we have more fans...

The bigger issue probably the players in dressing rooms etc.

But this is basically just people playing sport outside, and people standing/sitting watching them, also outside. Some fans not be 100% comfortable with it, and I appreciate people have different health concerns to me. But non-league seems significantly less of an issue to me than pubs, shops, restaurants, higher levels of football etc etc.

See you in September.

4 people like this 4 people   

By K's19602/8 17:15Sun Aug 2 17:15:30 2020In response to Re: Test events Top of thread

Views: 301

Nice positive post, I like it.

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)2/8 18:51Sun Aug 2 18:51:16 2020In response to Re: Test events Top of thread

Views: 295

Yes its positive and what a change it makes
When the pubs and restaurant's were preparing for re opening many said it was not possible to social distance and they have not made it.Most found it difficult but tried and they are up and running again now.
Keep positive and survive,you may find the new way forward is better in time than the olde world

By a krinkly1/8 11:27Sat Aug 1 11:27:35 2020In response to Re: Test events Top of thread

Views: 432

To be perfectly honest the Spectrum is probably a 'safer' venue regarding Covid than KGF, there's over 100 more seats and plenty of space to distance into. City are already pushing their full and 10 match season tickets, I'm tempted again to go for the 10 match but.....

You make a good point about revenue streams, I'd like to see K's doing something along the lines of the monthly 50/50 draw I mentioned a while back alongside the measures announced recently. Now that THEY are Merton bound we've got the borough back again, I reckon there would be a decent number of people who'd go for a monthly draw with a reasonable chance of a win, not to mention the more distant K's fans.

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By a krinkly1/8 10:02Sat Aug 1 10:02:20 2020In response to Test events Top of thread

Views: 431

If the rise continues then expect pubs etc to go next, it's all a balancing act, the 'perfect' response right now is to go back to a March type lockdown and hang the economic effects. A post on the Conference Forum ran the idea we're stuck with Covid and get back to normal as much as possible handling the inevitable cases in dedicated Covid hospitals, much the same as there used to be special TB centres.

I see it a bit like this, the risk can be quantified as a sort of points system, at any specific time a risk points allocation is made depending on the Covid situationat the time. The longer an individual is exposed to risk the more of their points are used up. With a rising curve again the risk points total drops so limitations have to made

It certainly ain't easy!

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Ksuals1/8 09:03Sat Aug 1 09:03:21 2020In response to Test events Top of thread

Views: 447

You're not alone in finding it hard to understand government guidelines. I've listened to the Scottish government advisor and he is very good . His honest opinion is there is alot they don't know about covid so need to be cautious in ' releasing capacity' back. Whilst it might seem odd why this and not that,the justification is see what happens and if no spike then open up more. Unfortunate for those not opened up first though.

Ksuals

By RichardNW1/8 10:26Sat Aug 1 10:26:12 2020In response to Re: Test events Top of thread

Views: 427

It is strange. Even though cases are low in Wigan we have been caught up in the Greater Manchester area restrictions so we can't see the MIL in the back garden but we can go to the pub or the gym and we can go on holiday. I suppose part of this is about the economy as the MIL doesn't spend money in our back garden and perhaps the risk (quite right as it turns out) that they'll end up in the house whereas pub social distancing can be monitored.

In answer to your question I'd be one of the few who would stay away- a combination of at risk people in extended family and the thought of a 6 hour round trip with the leg to London being 2 hours of presumably having to wear a mask non stop. If I was local and walking to the ground it would be different.

One thing I would love to see and perhaps this might help if the season is disrupted is whether there was any way of the club providing a paying streaming service. I have no idea on the tech requirements but it was great to see the Sullivan & Pascoe live games last season and would happily pay the equivalent of a season ticket if something could be set up- doesn't need to be the same quality as S&P as long as you can clearly see what is going on. Any ideas what this would cost for the gear as a brief internet search doesn't suggest it is too high but not sure what the quality would be?

Previous thread: Old Friends in Big Trouble by a krinkly3/8 12:40Mon Aug 3 12:40:59 2020view thread