ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Haringey and Carshalton tickets now available … by LiamKsYesterday 18:22Yesterday at 18:22:12view thread

Oldest article: K's Through to First Round of FA Youth Cup by www.kingstonian.com17/10/2019 11:59Thu Oct 17 11:59:09 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Under 18s in FA Youth Cup on Thursday by www.kingstonian.com7/9 20:02Mon Sep 7 20:02:02 2020view thread

When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?

By John Bangs6/9 07:58Sun Sep 6 07:58:01 2020

Views: 515

Like many things in society, coach travel had been put on hold during the Covid-19 pandemic.Most coach companies simply shut down, furloughing their staff. However, as the furlough scheme comes to an end, coach companies are beginning to trade again. It is interesting to view Anderson Travel’s information about coach travel and Covid 19.
https://www.andersontravel.co.uk/covid-19

The Club’s current Covid 19 Policy though, appears not to allow for us having coaches for away travel at all at present. So we can’t yet go ahead with bookings and here is a link to an update on the Supporters Club webpages :
https://www.kingstonian.com/supporters-club-away-travel

The problem is how do we keep travel Covid Safe and ensure social distancing rules are followed? There would need to be reduced capacity for mini buses and coaches which could make coach travel far more expensive. We would, of course, need a careful plan for getting people on and off while still social distancing.

It would be helpful to hear from people about this. If it were possible to recommence coach travel to away matches, would fans feel comfortable in taking this before any potential vaccine is in place?

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people like this 5 people   

Re: When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)6/9 16:25Sun Sep 6 16:25:23 2020In response to When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?Top of thread

Views: 332

Thanks John for opening this discussion. In some ways, when we consider coach travel, we are at the heart of current confusion/lack of evidence over the extent to which risk can be mitigated. The smaller Supporters Club coach doesn't have windows open/ventilation so that is one issue; nor, as you note, is it big enough for everyone to be significantly spaced out. Unless we used a 50-seater and paid more.

Equally, all passengers could be required to wear masks (for what it's worth).

Since i have been using tube, trains and buses in London for work, i suppose i would in principle travel on a supporters coach if it was offered for tricky midweek aways and the like, although i'd be sincerely wary of whether i was the risk factor for others older or more vulnerable than myself. I'd be interested to hear from the other regulars.

The alternative (for those of us who don't drive) is away travel in shared cars (not ideal either) or train (not always available and not always safe either, we must presume).

No easy answers.

4 people like this 4 people   

By a krinkly6/9 17:51Sun Sep 6 17:51:12 2020In response to Re: When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?Top of thread

Views: 293

Masks ( for what it's worth)

It's worth plenty if 100% compliance is observed, that's the whole point of asking for 100% compliance. Trouble is there isn't 100% non idiot make up in the population, but that doesn't mean the effort shouldn't be made.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)6/9 17:54Sun Sep 6 17:54:56 2020In response to Re: When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?Top of thread

Views: 280

i'm not anti-masks. i just don't know exactly how much they truly mitigate risk (while accepting that they are worthwhile as a precaution). For example, could we all pile on a coach and it's OK if we all wear masks? Unclear. If masks reduce risk by half (let's say they do), then that's probably not enough to make coach travel safe...

Edited by WeHateWombles at 17:55:53 on 6th September 2020

1 person likes this 1 person   

By a krinkly6/9 17:59Sun Sep 6 17:59:21 2020In response to Re: When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?Top of thread

Views: 290

General use masks aren't there to protect the wearer from others, they are there to protect others from the wearer. That seems to get forgotten.

Edited by a krinkly at 18:11:47 on 6th September 2020

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)6/9 18:14Sun Sep 6 18:14:54 2020In response to Re: When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?Top of thread

Views: 291

But that's my genuine question: would everyone wearing masks on a coach (each protecting the other) sufficiently lower or even eliminate risk for all involved? and the honest answer is: it probably lowers risk but we don't know how much; and without knowing how much, it's hard to risk-assess.

Edited by WeHateWombles at 19:19:11 on 6th September 2020

By a krinkly6/9 19:37Sun Sep 6 19:37:51 2020In response to Re: When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?Top of thread

Views: 263

Nothing we are curently doing is totally safe, it's within 'acceptable' risk parameters including walking the dog in an empty field. The same will apply to coach travel, if it's deemed within risk levels it'll be up to individuals to assess whether they want to take the risk.

2 people like this 2 people   

By K's19606/9 17:33Sun Sep 6 17:33:47 2020In response to Re: When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?Top of thread

Views: 274

A logistical nightmare. It is easy for me to say but then I am in know way affected because I do not attend matches anymore. I feel for all of those people who have and still are losing their jobs.I think the pandemic is a tails you win heads you lose situation. I feel for all of those loyal supporters who support K's whatever the situation, the supporter who will walk across hot coals no matter what. I can only say the day will come when the present situation will ease enough for us to travel about without any restrictions. And to keep on supporting K's in the time honoured fashion. Come on you K's

2 people like this 2 people   

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)6/9 10:02Sun Sep 6 10:02:17 2020In response to When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?Top of thread

Views: 360

Interesting and thought provoking JB on coach travel and the difficulties.
Think there are two different problems....
Firstly the match itself and the question of the home team and if they can accomodate a coach,even a small one,under the existing covid restrictions.Different grounds will have different rules and guidlines.
Secondly and if we sort out the ground situation,coaches will take you within the guidlines again but it would mean drastic lower passenger numbers leading to at least double the price of travel.Is this practical and would the travelling supporters pay.May be a surprise to think many would.
So many problems to overcome but I am sure we will and the fact that a certain number of supporters are already allowed back in maybe shows if we keep following the guidelines progress even slow will come

3 people like this 3 people   

By MC7/9 11:40Mon Sep 7 11:40:04 2020In response to Re: When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?Top of thread

Views: 270

Looks like Anderson coaches have some 83-seater jobbies

four of them should do the trick!

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)7/9 13:30Mon Sep 7 13:30:19 2020In response to Re: When will Covid safe away coach travel be possible?Top of thread

Views: 243

Excellent
Problem solved.
It always takes a genius

Previous thread: Fantasy Football. by Newt6/9 20:00Sun Sep 6 20:00:25 2020view thread