ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: 'Stan's Last Game' by K's1960Today 17:09Today at 17:09:05view thread

Oldest article: Super Hoopsaa by reximus13/10/2019 13:49Sun Oct 13 13:49:27 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Bowers and Pitsea game postponed by www.kingstonian.com16/10 15:14Fri Oct 16 15:14:48 2020view thread

Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet

By Mark Murphy11/10 21:25Sun Oct 11 21:25:52 2020

Views: 922

I hope this afternoon was as delightful as the man in whose honour it was held. And I'd like to add many more "well dones" to the many Ian Butler and co deserve.

Couldn't make it today. And, not being a forum watcher, I missed out on the chance to contribute a tribute tin the programme. So, here's a few (hundred) words on the nicest man on the planet:

I never knew Brian 'Fossil' Newman without white hair. Although he must have been my age now when I first met him. As "manager" of a Ks Supporters Team in 1992, he was already famous Ittalian coach Giovanni Trappattoni's stunt double (and some Ireland fans might think Brian would have produced more entertaining Ireland teams).

The white hair made "fossil" an obvious sobriquet. It may have had multiple origins. But a few of us first used it at a 1994 stand-up comedy show. I can't remember if Harry Hill or Dominic Holland (Tom's Dad) said the word on stage. But when they did, ex- supporters club chairman Gary Spickett turned the room's attention to the whitest-haired man in the young audience. And the name stuck.

I went to many comedy shows with him. He was a huge and hugely knowledgeable fan of comedy new, old and older. And the comics he approached after shows recognised this, as the nicest man on the planet engaged them in proper conversation about the art. We were regulars at the Crack Comedy Club at Kingston's Grey Horse pub. And I was only known as "Brian's mate." Which is one of the nicest things anybody's ever said to me.

Drinking with Brian needed careful pacing. At his quaffing "best.," he'd down the first half of a pint in "normal" time. But the second half couldn't have disappeared any quicker if he'd thrown it at me. Which he probably had occasion to do many times but, as the nicest man on the planet, never did.

Of course, I am nowhere near well-travelled enough to be entirely sure that Brian WAS the nicest man on the planet. There may be a Tanzanian non-league football and comedy fan with similar qualities. But I have my doubts.

Yes. Nicest man on the planet, Brian Newman. He will never not be missed.

reply to this article | return to the front page

17 people like this 17 people   

Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planet

By reximus16/10 18:19Fri Oct 16 18:19:27 2020In response to Brian Newman - nicest man on the planetTop of thread

Views: 348

I'm delighted to let you know that the proceeds for Cancer Research UK from sales of the souvenir programme at The Fossil Cup, and donations after, currently totals a wonderful £1,169.35 + £12.50 Gift Aid. Thank you very much to everyone for their generous support. Fabulous effort, Ks.

Copies of the programme are still available. Please email supporters@kingstonian.com to order yours.

And the page created by Cancer Research UK in Brian's memory is still available for anyone who'd like to make a donation. With no game tomorrow, there's maybe a tenner burning a hole in your pocket... :-)

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/the-fossil-cup

[All donations made to this page will automatically be transferred to Cancer Research UK.]

rex

Edited by reximus at 19:19:10 on 16th October 2020

4 people like this 4 people   

By Butler12/10 10:40Mon Oct 12 10:40:47 2020In response to Brian Newman - nicest man on the planetTop of thread

Views: 568

Great stuff Murph. Yeah yesterday went really well and I’m more then pleased with the outcome. It was a very entertaining game that seemed to be enjoyed by all, especially the players. The sun was shining and a fair bit of money was raised for Fossil’s chosen charity so overall I’d say that was a result.

The game finished 3-3 and was eventually won 6-5 on penalties by the 2009 team. I honestly thought the players would have treated this game as a walk in the park, a friendly kick about with old friends. I couldn’t have been more wrong! It was a highly competitive match and even amongst the on field banter it was clear from the start that both teams were playing to win.

You could tell what kind of game it was going to be very early on as Tony Reid and Adam Thompson enjoyed a playful tussle along the touch line which resulted in Reidy going to ground and dragging Thommo down with him by the waistband of his shorts. That pretty much set the tone for the afternoon really, when they were on the ball they were playing to win and off the ball there was a light hearted ribbing of their opponents.

It was the 09 team broke who the deadlock through a superbly hit free kick from Tommy Williams. The 06 team responded with an equally good free kick of their own struck by that man Martyn Lee, who else?! Luckily Ollie Underwood has captured both free kicks on film, they’re definitely worth a watch! It was the 09 team that struck again next through Dean Lodge to make it 2-1 although before you knew it, Tony Reid had levelled the score once again. Just as we thought we were heading to the break with the scores tied the ref blew up for a penalty which Lee confidently converted with the last kick of the half to make it 3-2 to the 06 K’s.

The second half saw less of the jokey side of things and both teams played some really good football in a bid to get their hands on the prestigious silverware. Just the one goal in the second half from (super) Bobby Traynor to level the scores once again, this time a powerful strike from outside the box, smashing into the top corner. Again caught on film! There was also a penalty incident for the 06 team which Martyn has asked me not to go on about. But when all was said and done, I think a draw was a fair result in the end however someone had to win and despite calls from Scott Corbett for 10 mins a half extra time it went straight to penalties. At this point I was setting up the presentation table so didn’t pay as much attention to the pens to give you a detailed account but again I know Ollie recorded them so I’ll enjoy watching them back later.

I’d like to thank you everyone that supported the event yesterday by coming to the game, buying a programme and kindly donating their money to cancer research. I’d also like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone that made the game possible particularly Rex, John Bangs and John Mac. Without the help of those 3 individuals the day would not have been the success that it was so seriously guys thank you for everything. Also I need to say a massive big up to Ollie Underwood who spent the whole game going up and down the touch line capturing the action on his phone. Despite me telling him several times to chill out and watch the game that boy was on a mission to get as many pics and videos as he could which I’m sure we all appreciate.

A number of players approached me after the game to say how much they enjoyed the day and asked me to set up a rematch in the summer. Watch this space.

10 people like this 10 people   

By John Bangs12/10 13:33Mon Oct 12 13:33:28 2020In response to Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planetTop of thread

Views: 501

Thanks are also due to Rob for editing the programme. This was a lot of work: particularly as this was done at the same time as editing the Hornchurch programme. for the previous day.

The idea of a rematch sounds great. I’m sure the Supporters Club would very happy to assist with this again .

7 people like this 7 people   

By Filipo12/10 11:32Mon Oct 12 11:32:37 2020In response to Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planetTop of thread

Views: 521

Yesterday topped off a great weekend for the club, three hard earned points against Hornchurch on Saturday and a fantastic event on Sunday for a great cause and in memory of a great Ks fan.
The past few weeks in particular have thrown a number of obstacles in getting the game on, right up until Saturday with issues around kits and referees. Luckily with so many good people at the heart of our club these issues were easily resolved and even the late change in venue worked in our favour.

The day itself involved an early start, to meet and greet both sets of players with many club legends amongst them. Scott Corbett who not only won the Surrey Senior cup at a difficult time for the club counts an FA trophy win and Isthmian Premier title in his medal collection. Bashiru Alimi who first played for the club in 2001 and returned for a few seasons under Alan Dowson from 2009 was also present in the 2006 team. Liam Collins also made his debut for the club in 2001 and returned in the 2008/2009 to win the Isthmian South. These players have a long standing affiliation with the club and it was great to see them taking part.

Both team sheets contained so many players who even in short spells for the club gained iconic statuses including Martyn Lee and Tony Reid. Martyn Lee’s sweet left foot and Tony Reid’s joker antics reminding us once again why! But it was that whole 2006 SSC winning team in the face of resistance and 3000 angry AFC Wimbledon of Kingston fans that will be remembered for the legends that they are.
Similarly the 2009 league winners, packed with their own characters and Kingstonian legends were the favourites for this match and although they won eventually on penalties, it was no easy game as Butler mentions.

But it wasn’t just about the football match which was entertaining in its own right. There was a huge amount of love and respect between both teams, many had played against or with each other; the non league playing circuit is a big network of friends after all. That love was also demonstrated between the fans and the players and between managers past and present although Hayden was in wind up mode! Ollie got a great picture of four past and present managers (Hayden, Dowse, Kim and Tommy), all there to support the great cause and make it a day to remember.

I would therefore also like to thank everyone who made the day possible, Butler, the three Johns, Yirios, all the players and officials, Colliers Wood and everyone who attended.

What a lovely club we are!

8 people like this 8 people   

By reximus12/10 11:32Mon Oct 12 11:32:02 2020In response to Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planetTop of thread

Views: 522

Nice report, Butz. Good work. Thank you to the players for making it such a wonderful day.

A highlight of the day for me was seeing FOUR Ks Managers, past and present. There are some photos on various social media channels with Hayden Bird, Alan Dowson, Kim Harris and Tommy Williams side-by-side. It would be superb if Butz's match report could be copied onto the Ks main website with some of Ollie's photos added?

Fossil's daughter brought his old Ks shirt to the game and it was signed by the two teams. In due course, I'll be promoting a raffle to win a Hooped shirt signed by all the players.

It looks like we will have raised over £1,000 for Cancer Research when all the proceeds from programme sales and donations have been added up. There are some programmes left over, which will be made available to buy (details to follow). Special thanks to John Bangs and John Mac for underwriting the cost of these, and to the players who contributed to a whip-round, as well.

Anyone wishing to add to the donation to Cancer Research in Fossil's memory can do so at https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/the-fossil-cup (All donations made to this page will automatically be transferred to Cancer Research UK.)

rex

Edited by reximus at 11:37:06 on 12th October 2020

7 people like this 7 people   

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)12/10 08:32Mon Oct 12 08:32:37 2020In response to Brian Newman - nicest man on the planetTop of thread

Views: 575

Good and kind words from Murph echoed I am sure by the many who knew the man with the white hair.
Brian did indeed love his social life but had a serious life as well usually with football at its core.
I first got to know Brian at Kingston Little League some years ago as rival managers.
He was always there early or late to put up goal posts or generally get everything ready to play on sometimes cold or wet weather.
Loved his Ks as we know but was always ready to help as well with his 50/50 tickets and in the days of our greatest period to turn up the day after a big game with his broom in the ground and the car park.
Brian will be missed but not replaced because people like him never are.
Just to say how good to hear Murph on this forum.Sad Mark you only rarely utter on hear.

4 people like this 4 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)12/10 09:21Mon Oct 12 09:21:40 2020In response to Re: Brian Newman - nicest man on the planetTop of thread

Views: 564

For those who haven't seen the photos on twitter, it seems yesterday's tribute match at Colliers Wood was a big success: a crowd of over 100 (including Dowson, Harris and Bird), free-kick specials by Tommy Williams and Martyn Lee, and a missed pen by Bobby Traynor....

Well done to Butler, Rex and everyone who organised, and to Rob W who stepped in late to produce the programme.

Can we have a match report from someone who attended?

6 people like this 6 people   

Previous thread: Update from our COVID-19 Officer by www.kingstonian.com15/10 15:48Thu Oct 15 15:48:49 2020view thread