ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.kingstonian.net

The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: How dare you..... by KsualsYesterday 20:08Yesterday at 20:08:34view thread

Oldest article: Lewes match report by www.kingstonian.com17/11/2019 19:22Sun Nov 17 19:22:50 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: International Women's Day by www.kingstonian.com8/3 00:19Mon Mar 8 00:19:15 2021view thread

All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosen

By www.kingstonian.com (fwpbot)1/3 17:54Mon Mar 1 17:54:38 2021

Views: 1499

Congratulations to Martin Woodward, who wins a signed shirt for his selection of a cracking Kingstonian XI (plus subs).

Read the full news item at https://www.kingstonian.com/news/all-time-kingstonian-xi-winner-chosen/1925

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people   

Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosen

By David Crawt5/3 10:52Fri Mar 5 10:52:19 2021In response to All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 809

Very difficult to choose an 'All-Time' K's eleven as probably the furthest back any current fans can remember would be around the 50's.
So, not surprisingly, the eleven chosen are from more recent times; and a very good team it is indeed.

I was going to have a go at this myself but there have been so many great players at K's during my time that the task was too daunting.

K's have especially had some great goalkeepers during that time.

The first two names I would have on my team sheet would be John Doyle and Micky Preston; I would have found the rest too difficult to choose between.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Newt (newt1)5/3 12:23Fri Mar 5 12:23:07 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 632

I totally agree with your post David about not being able to whittle it down to eleven.Spookily when I thought about it I also got as far as Johnny Doyle and Micky Preston before giving up.I wonder how similar the rest of our teams would have been had we completed them.

COME ON YOU Ks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newt

By David Crawt5/3 20:11Fri Mar 5 20:11:10 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 641

I wonder how similar the rest of our teams would have been had we completed them.

Yes, I wonder too.

I expect we would have very similar choices but I've lived out of the County since 1987 so haven't been to as many games, and seen as much of the players, as you will have done.
So my choices since then would probably differ a lot.

I didn't see many people choose John Power as the goalkeeper.
John was an excellent 'keeper and I'm sure I recall him saving 2, or was it 3, penalties in a cup tie at Slough in 1985.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By a krinkly5/3 12:59Fri Mar 5 12:59:39 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 652

Johnny McCormack is an obvious addition to players of that vintage, OK he was a self confessed 'lazy' goal hanger but WHAT A GOALHANGER!

5 people like this 5 people   

By tim (36southlanenewmalden)3/3 14:09Wed Mar 3 14:09:52 2021In response to All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 711

FOR SUPERHOOP I remember these from early 70 s ,namley Overton ,Adaway, Grosse Bremer Glover Green Kearey
Maybe we started watching K s at a simular time

By tim (36southlanenewmalden)2/3 21:21Tue Mar 2 21:21:04 2021In response to All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 756

Having seen Ks for ....years here is some players who have stood out .I ve left out Geoff era to give others a chance

GK ROB, J Power ,Adrian Blake ,Dave Root
RIGHT BACK S Clohessey, Alan Gillett Arron Goode Ashley Stephenson
LEFT BACK Josh Casey, Paul Jablonski Andy Riley Kevin O Donaghue George Wells
NBR 4 Solly Eriemo Alan Kelsall Tommy Mahon Alan Thompson
MBR 5 Alan Innes Gary Mc Donald Micky Preston Andy Russell
MIDFIELDERS Liam Collins Paul Gbogidi David Harlow David Kempton Dan Sweeney
FORWARDS Richard Cherry Chris Kelly Andre McCollin Ryan Moss David Pearce
Bobby Traynor Francis Vines Trevor Waughman
WINGERS David Byrne Robin Lewis NBR 11 Dean Lodge Joe Turner

5 people like this 5 people   

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)3/3 12:06Wed Mar 3 12:06:28 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 679

Love your squad Timmy boy and no surprise to see Chris Kelly in there but although the younger ones and the youth amongst us never saw him play the elders did and one may wonder if he was good enough for Millwall why he doesnt make many of their teams

By supahoops73/3 06:58Wed Mar 3 06:58:40 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 739

Nice one Tim. If I may, I'd like to just list my all time
favourite Ks players (not just a best 11) from memory.
Ollie's line up that appeared in the FWP was a magnificent selection from his time supporting the Ks.
Here are some names selected from my time supporting Ks.
Some older supporters might recognise a few of the names.
GK's
Rob Tolfrey, Steve Farrelly, John Overton.
Defenders
Tarks, Bob Adaway, Micky Preston, Matt Crossley, Alan Gillet,
Kenny Grose, Colin Luckett. Ollie Cook.
Midfield
Geoff Pitcher, Bernie Bremer, Matt Pattison, Gary Patterson,
Dan Sweeney, Alan Green, Bernie Mapp, Alan Kelsall.
Forwards
Francis Vines, Bobby Traynor, Johnnie Doyle, Nicky Glover,
Dean Lodge, Keith Keary.
There are many, many more that I have had the pleasure of watching in the adorned hoops.

3 people like this 3 people   

By a krinkly3/3 09:24Wed Mar 3 09:24:31 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 715

That's more like what a Greatest Team should look like!

By KsOllie2/3 00:54Tue Mar 2 00:54:33 2021In response to All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 885

No surprise I wasn’t going to win, youth can have its disadvantages

Congratulations Martin anyway, sadly I’ve only seen 4 of the 16 players live

Some interesting team selection though.

Stay Safe
And see you in the summer hopefully

4 people like this 4 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By K's19602/3 08:48Tue Mar 2 08:48:22 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 865

I still stick by my selection. I thinks Haydon should have consulted VAR though. Great fun , congrats Martin wear the shirt with pride.

By K's19603/3 11:26Wed Mar 3 11:26:33 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 703

One addition to my selection would have been Frank Macey. I enjoyed the 2000 final and the talent on show that day for both teams was amazing and I am sure would have graced any All-Time Eleven.

By old and grey6/3 18:50Sat Mar 6 18:50:46 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 588

Why no DAVID LEWORTHY, surely one of the classiest
players we ever had the pleasure to see wearing the
hoops.
between 1997-2000 he made 145 app and scored 66
goals.

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)6/3 20:21Sat Mar 6 20:21:16 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 580

Maybe some of the younger ones never saw him but I must agree David Leworthy has to be in

By Max Hustwick Teenage Fan Club (MHTFC)7/3 09:22Sun Mar 7 09:22:01 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 581

Leworthy was most certainly in mine - but mine was an all-my-lifetime team.

Farrelly; Adaway, Hustwick, Pitcher, Ashworh, Haider, Williams, Coates, Leworthy, McCormack and Akuamoah. There won't be many amateur or non-pro teams that would beat that lineup!

By K's19607/3 12:25Sun Mar 7 12:25:53 2021In response to Re: All-Time Kingstonian XI winner chosenTop of thread

Views: 570

So nice to see you have included Ashworth and Coates in your choice. It should be remembered that Jimmy Coates scored the winning goal at St James's Park in 1960 that saw K's through to its first ever Wembley final in 1960.

Previous thread: Tamplin has left Romford by Paddy4/3 16:53Thu Mar 4 16:53:30 2021view thread