The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Elliott Buchanan returns to Kingstonian by MCYesterday 21:48Yesterday at 21:48:30view thread

Oldest article: The Program Said (Who's Prog?) by a krinkly5/2/2020 13:11Wed Feb 5 13:11:20 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Horsham game postponed by www.kingstonian.com26/9 19:48Sun Sep 26 19:48:39 2021view thread

My first Merthyr Town game

By reximus25/9 19:07Sat Sep 25 19:07:25 2021

Views: 819

That's Merthyr Town FC, previously called Merthyr Tydfil FC, previously called Merthyr Town FC. But always at Penydarren Park. In Merthyr Tydfil. Deep in The Valleys.

Southern League Prem South. Lost at home 2-3 against Farnborough. That's Farnborough FC, previously called Farnborough Town FC. Entertaining game, which Farnborough should have won more comfortably, especially against 10 men later on in the 2nd half.

Nice ground. 500+ attendance, including several dozen who'd made the long journey from Farnborough. £12 entry. £2 parking at the ground. £2 programme. £2.20 a pint. (I remember the days when this forum regularly reported on the chips at away grounds. I didn't bother with any chips. I had a sandwich in town (that's Merthyr Town) before the game.)

Today saw a reunion of numerous former players, who were generously applauded. Friendly atmosphere about the place. Nickname "The Martyrs", which helped explain what Merthyr (possibly) means. Some great banners, including one that read #weownourfootballclub, and another proudly proclaiming "NEITHER CARDIFF NOR SWANSEA - BUT INTERNATIONAL MERTHYRISM". Superb! Pictures on Facebook.

Highlight of the day: Elliott Buchanan's two goals, one early in each half. Needed the physio on in the first half, subbed shortly after scoring in the second. (Couldn't see whether he took a knock, or possibly twisted/strained something?)

rex

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people like this 5 people   

Re: My first Merthyr Town game

By WorcesterK25/9 19:21Sat Sep 25 19:21:20 2021In response to My first Merthyr Town gameTop of thread

Views: 569

Sounds like an excellent afternoon!

I was also in the Southern League Premier today, but in the central division, ticking Redditch United off my list. Redditch is notoriously grim, hence why it has taken me so many years to get there, but I was pleasantly surprised by the ground. Peterborough Sports kept up their impressive form (7 wins from 8) with a 1-0 victory that could have been many more.

The chips were ok, and the burger was horrible. The legroom in the stands was nonexistent. I'm a tall bloke, but even a small person would have struggled. Luckily, there were empty banks of terracing to sit on in the second half where I could enjoy my cup of tea and watch the locals and the away support (there were only 4 of them, but what they lacked in numbers they made up for it mouth) trade insults in thick accents.

All in all, an enjoyable afternoon, made better by wins for Ks and Worcester (Evesham weren't playing so the rare treble wasn't in play). Just don't try and sit in the seats.

4 people like this 4 people   

By reximus26/9 11:46Sun Sep 26 11:46:06 2021In response to Re: My first Merthyr Town gameTop of thread

Views: 408

If you think travelling to Essex every other week is bad, the distances involved in following a team in the Southern League Premier South are simply astonishing.

From Beaconsfield, Kings Langley, Chesham and Harrow (sort of Bucks and north London) all the way down to Truro in Cornwall, via Gosport, Poole, Wimborne and Dorchester on the south coast, then back via Taunton, Tiverton, Weston-super-Mare and Merthyr Tydfil, before coming home along the M4 with Yate and Swindon en route.

Chatting to a few of the Farnborough lads yesterday, they reckon it makes it harder to attract players. Not a problem for say Met Police (with limitless budgets funded by the tax-payer) but must be a real drain for teams like Walton Casuals.

rex

1 person likes this 1 person   

By SDG (SDG (Ks))26/9 15:51Sun Sep 26 15:51:57 2021In response to Re: My first Merthyr Town gameTop of thread

Views: 395

Aaron Lamont said he joined us this summer from Walton Casuals because of the travelling. I know the board wouldn't want us to be moved to that league but as a fan it would be great, most of those grounds are new and after 12 years in this division going to the same old places gets pretty boring.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)26/9 18:01Sun Sep 26 18:01:27 2021In response to Re: My first Merthyr Town gameTop of thread

Views: 362

Yeah, i miss Earlsmead.

By WorcesterK26/9 15:38Sun Sep 26 15:38:15 2021In response to Re: My first Merthyr Town gameTop of thread

Views: 391

It's a huge spread. Evesham (my current hometown) are the most northerly team in Div 1 South, and it's a long old way to Plymouth, Bideford and Lymington from here for a step 4 game. It definitely affects the quality of player they can attract, not helped by some difficult transport links.

Ks are on the western boundary of the Isthmian these days, and although a season of ticking off new grounds in the southern league appeals to some, it would cause havoc with the finances and squad. Best to keep looking East until we get promoted and all get to enjoy a lovely weekend in Bath. Very hopeful that it could be next season!

1 person likes this 1 person   

Previous thread: Mental Health Awareness Day 13 October by www.kingstonian.com23/9 10:07Thu Sep 23 10:07:06 2021view thread