The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Ollie Allen swaps green and white for red and whit… by Football Web PagesToday 15:32Today at 15:32:29view thread

Oldest article: Wednesday Vs Cheshunt FC by John Bangs10/3/2020 07:16Tue Mar 10 07:16:27 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Maybe The Best by Olde School Ks24/10 11:44Sun Oct 24 11:44:24 2021view thread

My first visit to Forest Green Rovers

By reximus25/10 12:11Mon Oct 25 12:11:52 2021

Views: 1702

First time seeing Forest Green Rovers since May 1999. Happy days. Newer fans might want to read this: http://www.kingstonian.net/report.jsp?19981999/ForestGT

FGR 3-1 Salford City, a comfortable win, including a couple of cracking goals, that sees FGR stretch their lead at the top of League Two.

A comfortable 5,000 capacity stadium, near Stroud in Gloucestershire, about 20 miles north of the M4 just before you reach the turning for Bristol, it's been their home for about 15 years. The stadium is situated at the top of a steep hill* in a very residential area, so is far from ideal. A new home is being planned with better transport links (ie closer to the M5 motorway) on a site that will be shared with a green technology park. The plan is for an all-wooden stadium. Looks amazing! https://www.fgr.co.uk/eco-park

And obviously, the thing that everybody talks about, is how green the Club is. Owned by Dale Vince (Ecotricity) the Club and the stadium is 100% vegan. I didn't get to the ground in time to visit the main bar before kick off, so was a little disappointed to find that the Tea Bar in the stand behind the goal offered only chips and a choice of two pies, but that is still soooo much better than I'm used to, that I bought one of each! The pies were excellent - as were the chips - and there was plenty of people happy to buy them.

The shirts feature a weird zebra print. In black and green. They're made in part from coffee waste! The perimeter advertising is shared between green businesses and (uniquely in my experience) messages advising/warning the extent of the climate crisis since kick-off, for example "Fossil Fuel subsidies" or "Volume of Glacial Ice melted" or "Number of Plastic Bags sold in the UK", etc. The Club's charity partner, Sea Shepherd, get a plug, too. The advert for SkyBet - presumably required by the League's sponsorship deal - really looks out of place and is totally at odds with The Big Step and FGR's support for a national campaign to end gambling advertising and sponsorship in football.

A bit too far from home, so I won't be visiting regularly but I was in the area so...

* 3rd highest football stadium in the UK, apparently

rex

Edited by reximus at 12:12:07 on 25th October 2021

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Previous thread: Folkestone Invicta 5-1 Kingstonian by www.kingstonian.com23/10 20:21Sat Oct 23 20:21:28 2021view thread