The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Women's Voice in the Men's Game by Cardiff KsToday 13:30Today at 13:30:36view thread

Oldest article: AGM!? by BUTLER$ Naked Butler28/11/2022 20:45Mon Nov 28 20:45:03 2022view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Team news? by supahoops724/12/2022 14:58Sat Dec 24 14:58:36 2022view thread

The future

By Filipo23/12/2022 10:37Fri Dec 23 10:37:54 2022

Views: 1446

It’s clear the club is in a complete mess. I don’t need to go into both on and off the field issues, if you are new to this all-take some time out and read the forum.

For the club to have a future we need immediate change and a long term vision.

There are posts below around fan ownership and this is something that should be re-visited as a matter of urgency.

I think in the short term the club should consider a hybrid model where there is part fan ownership. This will allow for an increase in revenue, more fans taking part in the decisions and direction for the club which is what is massively lacking right now.

If the club was potentially looking to replace one of the directors, I think this would be a viable option, do others agree?

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Re: The future

By Lesmundo23/12/2022 14:47Fri Dec 23 14:47:29 2022In response to The futureTop of thread

Views: 1235

A supporters trust would need to be set up first. The trust will probably need board members. The trust would also need a significant number of supporters to join it as well so that it has a strong enough voice and can be taken seriously by the board.

The trust would need to have aims. In the short term this could be returning the club to the borough, in the longer term sourcing some sort of new ground in the borough.

When it comes to the running of the club and building there will be tonnes of things to consider like club identity, building the fan base, what the football we play is like, building our youth set up etc.

People would need to step forward and be part of the project first.

5 people like this 5 people   

By John Bangs23/12/2022 19:40Fri Dec 23 19:40:51 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1173

It seems to me that you have this spot on in indicating what would be needed to set up a fan based solution. Your post has five likes but so far no one offering to step up and help organise this.

The trouble we have is that many of the posts on here appear to be about what someone else should do. People talk about the experience of Enfield Town but that came about as a result of a huge amount of work by a dedicated group of fans.

Edited by John Bangs at 19:41:58 on 23rd December 2022

6 people like this 6 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)23/12/2022 20:43Fri Dec 23 20:43:19 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1153

Has the Board consulted the supporters club about where Ks will be playing next season?

Can you envisage the supporters club taking a public position against renewing the groundshare in Mitcham?

Do you, personally, think Ks can continue in Mitcham? If so, for how long?

3 people like this 3 people   

By John Bangs23/12/2022 21:46Fri Dec 23 21:46:20 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1160

The Club’s directors have not consulted the Supporters Club about where Ks will be playing next season. If they did, we would ask our members and not simply give the Committee’s own opinion. However, I suspect we will simply be informed of their decision.

My own view is that it’s clear that Mitcham is not a viable long term solution; particularly given the drop off in attendances at recent matches. It is important though to emphasise that Tooting and Mitcham FC have been very friendly and efficient in hosting us. We might survive a year or two more there but not indefinitely.

What is chiefly needed is progress on developing a new ground in the borough. Without this, the long term viability of Kingstonian FC seems far from assured.

However, constant sniping on the Forum does not seem to me likely to aid us at reaching a successful conclusion.

When there are any developments, I expect there to be an open fans forum to discuss any progress.

8 people like this 8 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)23/12/2022 22:00Fri Dec 23 22:00:59 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1076

This is a fair reply.

I think fans are more in agreement than can sometimes seem apparent.

People are deeply worried at the moment and it's reflected on the forum.

6 people like this 6 people   

By reximus23/12/2022 10:51Fri Dec 23 10:51:42 2022In response to The futureTop of thread

Views: 1333

The most immediate thing that needs to change is communication.

If the Board has a cunning plan to find a new home - they should tell us. If on the other hand they're bored of running the Club - they should tell us. If they'd welcome greater fan involvement in running the Club - they should tell us. If they expect anything to come from the meeting with RBK next month, if Lovelace is dead in the water, if a return to KGF is being considered, if dropping down a few levels to find a smaller home in the Borough is on the cards - they should tell us.

Same complaint these last 20 years. Every year they promise to improve.

rex

5 people like this 5 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Nick Garland23/12/2022 17:39Fri Dec 23 17:39:12 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1127

Any frustration with the current level of communication does also need to be tempered with the fact that that there will inevitably be some business confidentially considerations alongside any ongoing discussions with the local authority and any other clubs about a potential new ground share next season. Even if K’s had new owners or was run by a fan’s trust these considerations would still be in play.

5 people like this 5 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

By Gary (gekins)23/12/2022 17:59Fri Dec 23 17:59:26 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1117

Yes. But none of that would stop them from admitting that Mitcham is terrible and that they are doing everything they can to find somewhere else for next season.

6 people like this 6 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Nick Garland23/12/2022 18:17Fri Dec 23 18:17:19 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1131

I don’t agree that T&M is terrible but even if that was the current view of the board, all that would do is invite alternative potential ground share clubs to take advantage of K’s situation and ask for more rent than they otherwise would have done.

3 people like this 3 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Gary (gekins)23/12/2022 20:37Fri Dec 23 20:37:11 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1066

I find it very difficult to envisage any conversation between Kingstonian and another club about playing there next season that doesn’t make it clear that we’re considering leaving Mitcham.

4 people like this 4 people   

By Nick Garland23/12/2022 20:44Fri Dec 23 20:44:24 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1067

Yes, but there’s a difference between saying you’re considering leaving and declaring publicly that it was a mistake (if indeed that is the view of the board).

Edited by Nick Garland at 20:44:44 on 23rd December 2022

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)23/12/2022 20:49Fri Dec 23 20:49:19 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1121

You are very good at describing speculative, hypothetical advantages to the club's current "strategy" while deprecating or dismissing actual concrete disadvantages.

For what it's worth, i agree in principle that improved "communication" is not the fundamental issue here. It's decisions.

By SDG (SDG (Ks))23/12/2022 19:05Fri Dec 23 19:05:20 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1076

It's a bit late to worry about that. Non-league is a pretty small world, half the teams in the league have now visited Mitcham and seen for themselves, the other half will have heard how things are (even if they can't deduce it just from looking at our crowds, squad and the league table).

When the Lewes Chairman, for example, feels sorry enough for us to tweet Worrying times for K’s on and off the pitch with a picture of a desolate ground, our plight is hardly a secret.

By Nick Garland23/12/2022 19:17Fri Dec 23 19:17:19 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1114

However it wouldn’t be the best move to openly announce that Mitcham has been a ‘mistake’ and burn all your bridges there before securing something else. For one thing it’s not going to do K’s any reputational favours in terms of securing an alternative. You could also end up with something that was even further from Kingston than Mitcham.

Edited by Nick Garland at 19:17:56 on 23rd December 2022

1 person likes this 1 person   5 people dislike this 5 people

By SDG (SDG (Ks))23/12/2022 19:23Fri Dec 23 19:23:35 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1106

Obviously if we said anything in official channels we'd be more diplomatic than that. Or the club is a pretty small place (moreso now than ever), they could just get the word out that they're looking at other options.

But all the signs are quite the opposite, that they seem detached from the scale of the problem in Mitcham.

Edited by SDG (Ks) at 19:23:50 on 23rd December 2022

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Nick Garland23/12/2022 19:36Fri Dec 23 19:36:30 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1123

But surely the point is we don’t know and we wouldn’t know because that’s the way these things happen. If K’s approached another club about the possibility of a ground share they are likely to extract more favourable terms if they can ultimately pull out if the terms don’t suit and continue at Mitcham ( or at least give that impression) rather than potentially end up without a ground at all.

Edited by Nick Garland at 19:37:25 on 23rd December 2022

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By SDG (SDG (Ks))23/12/2022 19:51Fri Dec 23 19:51:36 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1109

Nobody is saying to walk away from Mitcham without lining something else up first. But we should be talking to the three venues that would very obviously be better for us; and it's perfectly possible to give the fans some clue about that, whether formally or informally, without ripping up a contract.

These things work both ways and we're not totally without any cards, TMUFC could just as easily drop their price to try to keep us.

By Filipo23/12/2022 22:50Fri Dec 23 22:50:29 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1086

I think the fundamental thing missing around the whole ‘Mitcham’ conversation is around whether the fans wanted this or were even consulted on this move.

No one has said anything negative about the actual arrangement with Tooting and Mitcham who despite their own issues have a good ground and good facilities.

But we are not a Mitcham club. We are a Kingston club and only last week Kingston council approved a motion to ‘bring the Ks home.’

I’m sure everyone would be in agreement that to ‘bring the Ks home’ we need to be competitive on the pitch if we are to grow the club.

By Kingting (Ksuals)23/12/2022 10:59Fri Dec 23 10:59:44 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1290

Would you think before twenty years of complaining had passed some of the supposedly wonderful fans might have come together and formed a united voice?
Mind might have as little effect as the 20 years of post on this forum have had

Ksuals

By jon tolley23/12/2022 11:13Fri Dec 23 11:13:21 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1221

if there was a laughing emoji I’d use it. agree with the sentiment. seems strange to need to set up an alternate supporters club. I wonder if there’s an appetite for it
in the meantime many fans are seeping away.

By John Bangs23/12/2022 12:45Fri Dec 23 12:45:08 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1243

If there are fans wanting to promote fan ownership, there would probably need to be some form of Trust set up; similar to the now disbanded K’s Trust. The Supporters Club is just an “unincorporated association” and could not legally be owners of any company or shares. If people are serious about this, great …. But setting up a football trust would take a whole lot more time and money than running a Supporters Club.

In the mean time though, I do personally find it a little strange for people who choose not to be a member of the Supporters Club to complain that it doesn’t represent their views.

5 people like this 5 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By jon tolley23/12/2022 12:58Fri Dec 23 12:58:01 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1225

if you’re talking about me specifically, then I can’t join because the SC seems too much in bed with the directors. now I have a lot of respect for the directors, but I can’t see how the SC is significantly separate from the club

if you’re talking about the post I was replying to, well I’m not sure how else a unifying voice comes together without it being an informal club of supporters. doesn’t need to be a legal entity imo.

By Kingting (Ksuals)23/12/2022 14:12Fri Dec 23 14:12:51 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1245

Do you think if enough like minded as yourself Jon joined as new members, you would have a chance of influencing Supporters Club?

Ksuals

By jon tolley23/12/2022 15:16Fri Dec 23 15:16:37 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1168

probably, yes
but i think that kind of entryism would cause more conflict than necessary. we know how important that SC are to running (and seemingly) financing the club and that sounds like a way to piss of the volunteers who are doing great work on a weekly basis.

Edited by jon tolley at 15:19:49 on 23rd December 2022

By DaveK (Haver of thoughts)23/12/2022 15:52Fri Dec 23 15:52:54 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1114

That's not "entryism" though. Entryism is when one organisation joins another and maintains its internal structure (eg. Militant to labour in the 80s). This would simply be people with a plurality of views joining the sc. Conflict, in a good natured manner, is nothing to be scared of or resisted. Surely the more people that join the SC and can debate in a way that is civilised and aimed towards the survival and thriving of the club is a good thing? Disagreement is healthy and should be encouraged.

By Paddy (Paddy1)23/12/2022 12:56Fri Dec 23 12:56:40 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1205

Does the supporters club only represent the views of the supporters club? That's quite unfortunate for passionate fans without the disposable income to have to pay a subscription fee in order to be represented by the board recognised body of supporters.

By John Bangs23/12/2022 13:01Fri Dec 23 13:01:59 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1184

Come off it Paddy. Membership is £5 a year and £4 for concessions.
https://www.kingstonian.com/join-the-supporters-club

3 people like this 3 people   5 people dislike this 5 people

By Paddy (Paddy1)23/12/2022 13:04Fri Dec 23 13:04:21 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1242

Ah sweet so my views are not represented & in addition my financial situation mocked.

Cheers John, Merry Christmas to you too.

2 people like this 2 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Filipo23/12/2022 14:32Fri Dec 23 14:32:50 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1123

For clarity, I would never join the supporters club so that my view can be heard within the club. Totally wrong.

We need change and I cannot believe there’s a few that still believe the supporters club will ever be in a position to influence that!

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

MEETING

By FOLEY23/12/2022 14:42Fri Dec 23 14:42:10 2022In response to Re: The futureTop of thread

Views: 1161

Afternoon All

This is something of great concern now and I think an urgent EGM or something needs to be called.

There is clearly a lot of unrest within our great Football club.

On the pitch things are not great and off the pitch is even worse just my opinion.

I have not been down for ages I know but that is for various reasons.

Regards

By BUTLER$ Naked Butler23/12/2022 10:46Fri Dec 23 10:46:25 2022In response to The futureTop of thread

Views: 1303

I totally agree. I think it’s pretty clear that the board and directors don’t really don’t care much for the thoughts and worries of the fans. Broken promises around the AGM, whilst most of us look stupid whilst lying dead at the bottom of Andos Cliff.
Something needs doing, and it needs to happen now! At this rate Ks will be lucky to be a Sunday league team in front of 17 supporters in 2 years time.
My question is, where do we even start to try and make thi$ happen?

Edited by BUTLER$ Naked Butler at 10:50:51 on 23rd December 2022
Edited by BUTLER$ Naked Butler at 10:52:24 on 23rd December 2022

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Previous thread: Director of Football Kingstonian FC by Senior22/12/2022 15:02Thu Dec 22 15:02:27 2022view thread