The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Yioryos Vasilaras by roseywYesterday 23:35Yesterday at 23:35:20view thread

Oldest article: Clashes with World Cup games by MC6/11/2022 21:08Sun Nov 6 21:08:37 20221 person dislikes this 1 personview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Saturday's match v Aveley by www.kingstonian.com10/2/2023 12:00Fri Feb 10 12:00:39 2023view thread

Spencer Knight to leave Kingstonian

By www.kingstonian.com (fwpbot)1/2/2023 22:00Wed Feb 1 22:00:26 2023

Views: 29136

K?s boss will leave for personal reasons once a replacement is appointed.

Read the full news item at https://www.kingstonian.com/news/spencer-knight-to-leave-kingstonian/4107

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people   

You’d have to be a simpleton…

By Jack Army (Jammydodger)2/2/2023 22:09Thu Feb 2 22:09:22 2023In response to Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 22571

…to work for a board of directors sleep walking a club into obsoletion.

3 people like this 3 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

Re: You’d have to be a simpleton…

By Korky15/2/2023 09:19Sun Feb 5 09:19:12 2023In response to You’d have to be a simpleton…Top of thread

Views: 14884

They are not sleepwalking ,it is a deliberate and well orchestrated plan to finish the club and pocket the monies,

1 person likes this 1 person   5 people dislike this 5 people

Re: Spencer Knight to leave Kingstonian

By DaveK (Haver of thoughts)2/2/2023 01:40Thu Feb 2 01:40:21 2023In response to Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15330

Thank you to Spencer for taking over and managing the club in less than ideal circumstances. Hopefully this is a good move for him and we can get a new manager in to keep us in the division and look to the future.

6 people like this 6 people   

By Senior (BE)2/2/2023 08:27Thu Feb 2 08:27:24 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15179

Problem is who will want to inherit a losing squad, we were in the same position in our last season at KM and thankfully Craig Edwards came to the rescue and we survived!

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By John Bangs2/2/2023 08:37Thu Feb 2 08:37:12 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15294

Despite Ks being in the doldrums at present and despite the long term future being uncertain, Kingstonian remains a famous name in non league football. We are not yet in the drop zone and (unlike when Craig stepped in) there is plenty of time for a good manager to turn things around. I would say we could be an attractive option for candidates.

2 people like this 2 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Korky15/2/2023 12:04Sun Feb 5 12:04:06 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14694

Don't be a fool Bangs any manager good or bad can see what's happening here and wouldn't want to be part of a clubs demise.

2 people like this 2 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

By SDG (SDG (Ks))2/2/2023 12:24Thu Feb 2 12:24:38 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15043

Yes and no. There will always be out of work managers who are looking for work and they'll hope they can turn a situation round. I'm sure we'll find someone.

But no-one will want a relegation on their CV and Ks being a famous name can be a double edged sword there. So as Lesmundo says, a manager will want 'certain guarantees' which will mainly be around the budget. I really doubt we can provide that (I assume Spencer is correct when he says the current league position is very much in line with the playing budget available otherwise the club wouldn't have published it).

So we might not have rich pickings to choose from and Gavin Rose or Gary McCann seem very optimistic.

I'd be approaching Jamie Howell. Currently Bognor assistant, he did a great job as Bird's number two. I was always very impressed when I heard him speak about the game and he achieved good results. He won the four games he was in charge of when Bird was banned and when he eventually left that was when our title challenge almost immediately collapsed.

The other obvious name is James Bracken. It beggars belief that he hasn't got another club given what he did for Casuals. I don't know if he'd want the job or not but it's hard to believe he's not yet found a club.

5 people like this 5 people   

By MC2/2/2023 22:17Thu Feb 2 22:17:20 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14904

Howell is a good shout and one I hadn't considered.

Bracken not a bad option although can imagine he wouldn't be too keen on us.

Don't really understand the appeal of Tuffs who doesn't have a great record. We need an experienced manager with a good contacts book who can get players in to get results now.

4 people like this 4 people   

By DaveK (Haver of thoughts)2/2/2023 22:28Thu Feb 2 22:28:08 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14897

What about Gallagher at Raynes Park? Performing well, local and has his team playing attractive and effective football?

Bracken and Howell also good shouts.

By jon tolley2/2/2023 23:05Thu Feb 2 23:05:29 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14921

can’t see why Gallagher would go from a team about to get promoted to, well…

probably a batter playing budget at RPV too

By DaveK (Haver of thoughts)2/2/2023 23:19Thu Feb 2 23:19:37 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14887

I agree Jon but a man can hope.

I picked up an RVP away shirt from your shop yesterday,

4 people like this 4 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By andycowl2/2/2023 15:06Thu Feb 2 15:06:40 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15041

I really doubt we can provide that (I assume Spencer is correct when he says the current league position is very much in line with the playing budget available otherwise the club wouldn't have published it).

I also noted this rather barbed comment by Spencer as he got his well deserved promotion (at work).

As for whether the Kingstonian board read and fully comprehended the words, somehow I doubt it.

If so, that's it then. We're forever condemned to hover above the relegation zone with the current budget. Great.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Ali (ali.kazemi)2/2/2023 13:11Thu Feb 2 13:11:51 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14989

We'd assumed that Jamie Howell would naturally step in to the manager's seat at Bognor when the vacancy arose in the summer. Given that this didn't happen, maybe we can tempt him back? Tricky though, given all his ties to them.

I'd love to know who does apply for the job. Obviously Gavin Rose or Gary McCann would be outstanding candidates if they wanted it. We might not be the draw we once were, but it's a chance to get back in to it and become a hero in much the way Craig Edwards did.

Same goes for Bracken - rivalry from his Casuals days aside, he's too good not to be managing in this league (or anywhere) right now.

Whoever it does end up being , the board needs to support them. A little more budget and a little less (rumoured) interference for a start.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Korky15/2/2023 09:40Sun Feb 5 09:40:42 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14726

Ali you are a lovely fellow but you need to come into the real world,the amoun of people willing to help KS can probably becounted on two hands,the rest ready to jump ship,as Jon Tolley ieads the way,you need a saviour again,is Jim Cochrane still about.Up against a ltd Comp.steadiiy nicking the money might be difficult.

1 person likes this 1 person   6 people dislike this 6 people

By Korky15/2/2023 09:23Sun Feb 5 09:23:51 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14843

Spencer is showing his true colours same as Jon Tolley ,not much good as acouncillor and less as a KS supporter,shirt sponsor for the rest of the season for our opponents Tuesday evening,says it all.

2 people like this 2 people   7 people dislike this 7 people

By jon tolley5/2/2023 10:52Sun Feb 5 10:52:01 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14773

quite right. we need more anonymous accounts taking shots at fans 🙄

11 people like this 11 people   

By Ali (ali.kazemi)5/2/2023 09:50Sun Feb 5 09:50:34 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14733

Was he a ward councillor in your local area, as you might have more to add in that case, but from my perspective he was one of only a couple of councillors who were able and willing to openly communicate with the people of RBK.

How's he any less good a K's supporter than any other? What's the benchmark for that? It's shame anyone would turn on any of our own supporters, now more than ever surely.

I've posted in another message how Banquet offered to sponsor K's but were turned down without any further dialogue. So I'm really not sure what more you expected there. Other local clubs have asked, and got. That's fair enough surely.

9 people like this 9 people   

By Korky15/2/2023 19:17Sun Feb 5 19:17:41 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14661

I didn't know he had offered sponsorship and been turned down, I stand corrected

By jon tolley5/2/2023 22:13Sun Feb 5 22:13:05 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14668

apology accepted?

there’s a broader point tho. and it’s not an individual sponsoring, it’s a business. it’s a business making a business decision. the idea we as a business shouldn’t look for a deal which is value is obviously daft. the proactive nature of Raynes Park Vale and Walton & Hersham - and their closer locations - make them good attractive for our business.

would have happily put cash into Ks, but not going to beg to do it.

8 people like this 8 people   

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)6/2/2023 09:00Mon Feb 6 09:00:49 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14692

Hayden tried to overhaul the entire marketing operation, another role he took on for no money. Dowse was also active and engaged. What did LOL and Spencer do in that regard? Were they ever asked about it at interview? Were they interviewed?

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)2/2/2023 13:17Thu Feb 2 13:17:42 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14986

i wonder if it doesn't help that Bog are also still in the mire? he can't come back, keep us up and drag them ....

By Senior (BE)2/2/2023 11:45Thu Feb 2 11:45:48 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15026

It all depends on how much the board are offering in terms of salary and support in bringing in players who want to play for Ks. ALSO NO INTERFERENCE FROM OUR SELF-STYLED DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL!!!

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Olde School Ks (OldSchoolKs)2/2/2023 10:04Thu Feb 2 10:04:28 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15101

I am mostly with you JB but I would say in the mire as we have gone through the doldrums.
I do think if not a sleeping giant it may well be a club with potential.Lets be positive.....
a possible new home a new board and supporters ready for a reserection.
I do hope I am not just a dreamer or an olde romantic or just a fool but I do believe a new manager who understands where we are and who we are could make a good name for himself and the good name of Kingstonian

By Taimour (WeHateWombles)2/2/2023 10:08Thu Feb 2 10:08:57 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15035

That manager was Hayden Bird.

By Suom Ynona2/2/2023 10:36Thu Feb 2 10:36:21 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15024

I'd say that manager was Dowse. Bird did well in the cups, but ultimately didn't win anything and underperformed in the league with a healthy budget. That's not to say that I wouldn't want him back though.

By JamieB (JBreeze)2/2/2023 08:47Thu Feb 2 08:47:09 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15159

We have got to go for Luke Tuffs IMO. Was unlucky with Leatherhead last season

2 people like this 2 people   7 people dislike this 7 people

By PlayupKs2/2/2023 08:48Thu Feb 2 08:48:43 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15084

I know for a fact he has applied… whether he’ll still feel so positive after speaking to the board we’ll see

By Suom Ynona2/2/2023 08:57Thu Feb 2 08:57:49 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15036

He was at the ground yesterday, as were a few other managers. Word obviously got out I guess.

By Filipo2/2/2023 09:07Thu Feb 2 09:07:00 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15125

The fact is Leatherhead did get relegated and also had an awful start to this season.

Not for me!

9 people like this 9 people   

By Ali (ali.kazemi)2/2/2023 12:59Thu Feb 2 12:59:54 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14958

Absolutely agree that, despite a few people on Twitter (not least himself), praising his work - Tuffs did ultimately still take Leatherhead down and didn't start the new season well in the division below either.

We should be aiming higher, for more experienced managers right now (on the basis that any apply). Different times, yes, but the example was when we brought Craig Edwards in - superb appointment that paid dividends.

6 people like this 6 people   

By Korky16/2/2023 11:42Mon Feb 6 11:42:47 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14588

Also Ali this calls for a manager who very experienced and Kingston 'til he dies ,very rare species ,probably extinct, very sad .

By Korky16/2/2023 11:37Mon Feb 6 11:37:08 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14682

You have to remember Ali we had super stadium,good budget, different set of players, and a passable crowd,that was the tools he had to work with, nothing remotely the same today.

By Ali (ali.kazemi)6/2/2023 11:45Mon Feb 6 11:45:55 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14587

I'm more than aware of that. Hence why I've said we may well have difficulty getting who/what we want.

That's not to say however that there won't be someone good who wants/needs the challenge and job. So we have to hope we get those types of applications and that we appoint the best person.

By Korky110/2/2023 10:39Fri Feb 10 10:39:51 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14472

I don't think the board have the ability to appoint the right person,is Jim Cochrane still about he knew how to get the right person.

3 people dislike this 3 people

By Suom Ynona2/2/2023 09:18Thu Feb 2 09:18:15 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15026

Very true, their start to this season was very worrying considering the players they had at their disposal. I just hope that the board don't rush and make (another) poor appointment.

By jon tolley2/2/2023 09:28Thu Feb 2 09:28:50 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15065

can't see the appeal at this point.
a wise manager would take the job after relegation and be the hero that gets us promoted.

By Lesmundo2/2/2023 11:20Thu Feb 2 11:20:08 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15009

If the board in the short term can make certain guarantees to the manager, then the job would definitely be very appealing to someone. If a management team can bring in a couple of decent players and coach the team to a good level, they are on to a winner, so of course people will want this job, even in the state we are in, it's in the nature of a manager or coach.

It's more whether the board can bring the right person or team in.

Also, any manager is going to choose a struggling step 3 team over the same club later in the day at at step 4.

2 people like this 2 people   

By KsOllie2/2/2023 09:34Thu Feb 2 09:34:00 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15048

Luke is a nice guy but would prefer Gary McCann or Gavin Rose but would the want to Ks. Shame but they are brilliant managers

By supahoops72/2/2023 21:12Thu Feb 2 21:12:19 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 14850

Gary McCann fits the bill in my opinion.
Luke Tuffs almost pulled off the impossible at Leatherhead and will feel
like he has unfinished business at this level.
Whoever comes in will have to bring a load of tried and tested familiar
faces in with them to stand a chance of keeping us up.

By Suom Ynona2/2/2023 09:39Thu Feb 2 09:39:17 2023In response to Re: Spencer Knight to leave KingstonianTop of thread

Views: 15050

Absolutely, if McCann or Rose are interested the board would be mad not to try and get them on board. I fear that Jon is correct though and a smart manager would wait for us to be relegated. Amazing how we have stagnated in this league since Dowse was forced out. I wonder what he makes of the mess at this club.

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Previous thread: NEW MANAGER by tim9/2/2023 20:28Thu Feb 9 20:28:46 2023view thread