The K's In Point

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Women's Voice in the Men's Game by Cardiff KsToday 13:30Today at 13:30:36view thread

Oldest article: AGM!? by BUTLER$ Naked Butler28/11/2022 20:45Mon Nov 28 20:45:03 2022view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Cray Wanderers 2-0 Kingstonian by www.kingstonian.com15/4/2023 21:01Sat Apr 15 21:01:50 2023view thread

The Supporter’s ‘Club’

By Filipo12/4/2023 11:01Wed Apr 12 11:01:12 2023

Views: 1288

I’m concerned by the position of the supporter’s club in recent weeks.

It leads me to question what the role of the supporter’s club is as it certainly does not appear that they have the club’s best interests at heart.

Individuals have openly scrutinised and in my view been critical of the KBH bid; a bid to give us hope and a future. Those same individuals have also failed to give any scrutiny to the new director, the appointment of which has been rightly scrutinised by the fan base.

Do we also have to question the impartiality of the supporters club given the clear link between those in committee positions and one of the directors who to most fans is clearly the problem?

For me the three main areas that need to be discussed are:
1. Why did the supporters club not challenge the catastrophic move to Mitcham?

2. Why are the supporters club not challenging the board about the state of the clubs finances? We have seen how badly the club have struggled this season, we are constantly fed the lines about cutting our cloth accordingly and budget cuts. This at the same time as no marketing or sponsorship ideas and failure to disclose the clubs finances to a serious and credible bid. What money is actually going to pay for this so called new ground that we are going to no doubt have another 6 years worth of meetings about?

3. Why are the supporters club not pushing for fan ownership which in the long term the KBH bid will allow for? Following the 2016 vote, the club stated they would re-visit this idea again. When you’ve got a solid group of professionals(who have my full backing) pushing for this change, you should be completely supporting this!

Take this whatever way you want; criticism/advice/discussion points. The bigger picture in what has to come first is the future of the club for me-I care more about that than a few bruised egos.

We can only go on the facts and what we see directly is the current destruction of our football club in front of us.

Let me make it clear regarding that pathetic board statement yesterday, you might state that the matter is now closed, but for us it has only just opened!

reply to this article | return to the front page

13 people like this 13 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’

By Korky113/4/2023 00:39Thu Apr 13 00:39:22 2023In response to The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 898

Bravo,hear hear.

By SDG (SDG (Ks))12/4/2023 22:48Wed Apr 12 22:48:19 2023In response to The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 992

TLDR - the SC can’t/won’t hold the board to account, we need to reform the Trust.

Individuals have openly scrutinised and in my view been critical of the KBH bid; a bid to give us hope and a future. Those same individuals have also failed to give any scrutiny to the new director

This imbalance has been the most frustrating thing in the last few weeks but it only mirrors the last few years, with board initiatives getting no scrutiny at all but supporter-backed alternatives being picked apart at length.

This has been most obvious in the ground debate, where the board’s plans for Goals and then Lovelace - which it would be highly generous to say had a slim chance of success - had no scrutiny at all. On the contrary, we were just asked to be patient and trust the board. Meanwhile those of us who were trying to shout from the rooftops that these plans would never happen and we should look at the athletics track saw every last detail picked apart to declare it not even worthy of consideration. After about four wasted years, those plans are dead and the track is, we assume, option 3 on the shortlist being considered with the Council.

But in fairness to the SC we’ve been asking it to do something - hold the board to account - that is outside it’s constitution and it isn’t setup to do.

It’s important to remember the SC does a lot of good work for the club. It’s good that they - presumably John - will be in the upcoming meeting with the Council. I assume he’ll be talking about the excellent work with young carers and Mind, which is just about our only community offering right now. It’s good that the SC does this and good that the Council will hear more about this.

The SC leadership runs several things for the club - catering, the club shop, boost the budget, I’m sure there’s more. The coaches are vital for those who can’t get to away games any other way. This is important work by hard working volunteers that the club would be worse off without.

But rather than an independent fan organisation they almost feel like an arm’s length body of the club itself, running such important parts of it. It’s sometimes hard to know where the line is between the club and SC. It’s clear that it doesn’t want to be the body holding the board to account and with committee members related to a Ks shareholder/director, it can’t be. Trying to force radical change on the SC through its AGM, as has been suggested a few times including today, is likely to be highly divisive and ultimately counterproductive.

So what happens instead? I’m now convinced we need to have a reformed trust with a remit to a) be a voice for the supporters and b) look to acquire a stake and one day full ownership of the club. The SC could then continue doing the good things it currently does, without being dragged into a space it clearly doesn’t want to be in.

It was a mistake that we allowed the Trust to wind down when we did, born out of complacency in a time when we were comfortable at Kingsmeadow and doing well on the pitch. The last six years, on the other hand, have been bleak at this club with major off-field problems and a pretty miserable time on it, one cup run apart. There’s a widespread desire for change and IMO a trust has to be part of the answer now.

Edited by SDG (Ks) at 22:49:51 on 12th April 2023

13 people like this 13 people   

By Korky115/4/2023 09:40Sat Apr 15 09:40:12 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 648

A trust ! So they can meekly hand over the funds accrued when the board asked I don't think so,I haven't gotten over the last trust,handing over the last 16000 pounds because the lights at the training ground needed upgrading, they are still using the lights Jim Cochrane bought 20years ago.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Alastair13/4/2023 09:55Thu Apr 13 09:55:50 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 877

Agree with every word of this, SDG.

The last thing we need is what some of the SC committee seem to be suggesting - a long and divisive debate about the role of the SC.

Let’s let the SC get on with the great things it’s doing. And let’s form another body (whether that’s a Trust, or whatever) with a different constitution, which can hopefully act as a vehicle to engineer a return to Kingston and a return to Kingstonian being the community club of the town.

8 people like this 8 people   

By Gary (gekins)13/4/2023 02:06Thu Apr 13 02:06:23 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 965

This is great SDG. But any chance you can also post it on the SC FB page as the committee seem to have started a boycot of the “the forum”?

9 people like this 9 people   

By SDG (SDG (Ks))13/4/2023 19:41Thu Apr 13 19:41:16 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 830

I've been too busy today to post this elsewhere but to be honest I think it's easier to keep conversations in one place. The forum has been the main place Ks fans have discussed the club online for over 20 years. Anyone can read or post here if they want to, whereas not everyone has a Facebook account.

11 people like this 11 people   

By reximus13/4/2023 23:01Thu Apr 13 23:01:20 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 757

Spot on. I'd be very interested to hear the Supporters' Club opinion on this.

(Or John Bangs's or Rosey Wooldridge's, etc.)

rex

By Suom Ynona12/4/2023 23:41Wed Apr 12 23:41:12 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 823

Superbly put SDG! The K's supporters trust is definitely the way forward.

By Nick Garland12/4/2023 17:50Wed Apr 12 17:50:43 2023In response to The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 911

I’m not sure about questioning the impartiality of the SC on the one hand and then saying it should be fully supporting KBH ( who whilst K’s supporters are clearly a distinct entity from the SC).

Edited by Nick Garland at 17:52:19 on 12th April 2023

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By DaveK (Haver of thoughts)12/4/2023 11:42Wed Apr 12 11:42:15 2023In response to The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 1017

Agree with much of what you've written. To me it should function as a collective voice for fans, whether in agreement or dispute with the ownership, and there is now scope for a discussion about its function and independence that also recognizes the time and hard work that a lot of the supporter's club members put in.

If its remit is limited to organizing social events, fundraise, provide travel and facilitating certain discounts then in reality its a club membership scheme, which is fine, plenty of other teams have that, but that puts obvious limits on more critical engagement.

9 people like this 9 people   

By MC12/4/2023 14:11Wed Apr 12 14:11:17 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 891

Agreed with the above.

For what it's worth, I think it's vital that that there are people who care about the club, who rightly want to heavily scrutinise any proposed takeover bid. If we don't have people like that around, we're open to all sorts of people coming in and taking the club in the wrong direction without facing any questions.

But the same questions must be asked of the new director, who already has a very bad reputation after previous dealings with the club. Why is he here? What will he offer?

10 people like this 10 people   

By Kingting (Ksuals)12/4/2023 14:22Wed Apr 12 14:22:59 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 906

Is what the supporters club is up to its members?
Is ty anything to stop current members or supporters joining to try and change it?
Is the SC any worse than those who post on here wanting change but wanting someone else to make the effort?

Ksuals

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Filipo12/4/2023 14:52Wed Apr 12 14:52:46 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 926

Clearly it does need changing as per the point I made above.

Yes people do want change but unless you’ve been hiding under a stone for the past two weeks there are a few barriers to progress.

Now what are your thoughts on the points made or are you also oblivious to any problems?

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Kingting (Ksuals)12/4/2023 15:38Wed Apr 12 15:38:07 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 913

My thoughts are it is quite clear that KFC are at risk.

Too many want change but someone else to do it.

As I'm not going to try and change Supporters Club, how it is run is up to the members.
KBH,seems like a worthwhile group who not only want to improve the clubs position but are willing to put the effort in as well.

Ksuals

By Filipo12/4/2023 17:01Wed Apr 12 17:01:45 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 861

Too many want change but someone else to do it.

I think you are very wrong on that front. Many of us will be on hand to assist the KBH as and when the take over takes place.

It is those on the board that are halting our current progress.

By Kingting (Ksuals)12/4/2023 18:31Wed Apr 12 18:31:08 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 849

I might well be right that there are many who want change and want it done by others,as well as KHB who are willing to work for change.

Ksuals

By reximus12/4/2023 16:52Wed Apr 12 16:52:12 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 877

Yup, the constitution of the SC is entirely a matter for its members.

But I do wonder if it would have more members if it were constituted to do different things, or didn't "follow the company line" quite so slavishly.

As the Directors seem happy to ignore the views of the supporters, it would indeed be useful for the SC to have a role holding the Board to account. The SC were perfectly happy to scrutinise the excellent bid from KBH but are happy play the 3 Wise Monkeys when it comes to poor communication and appalling choices being made by the Directors.

rex

7 people like this 7 people   

By Kingting (Ksuals)12/4/2023 18:34Wed Apr 12 18:34:37 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 828

Well Rex is that a 'chicken and egg' type thing?
People don't join because how things are but maybe joining is the way to bring about change.
Or maybe get together to form an alternative Supporters Club?

Ksuals

By Nick Garland12/4/2023 17:39Wed Apr 12 17:39:20 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 879

The SC as far as I’m aware hasn’t taken a position or made any comments on recent developments. Any comments on here or elsewhere have been posted in a personal capacity and not on behalf of the SC.

Edited by Nick Garland at 17:39:46 on 12th April 2023
Edited by Nick Garland at 17:51:29 on 12th April 2023
Edited by Nick Garland at 17:58:33 on 12th April 2023

3 people like this 3 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By reximus12/4/2023 18:50Wed Apr 12 18:50:27 2023In response to Re: The Supporter’s ‘Club’Top of thread

Views: 853

Any comments on here or elsewhere have been posted in a personal capacity and not on behalf of the SC

"On a point of pedantry" (c) Jeremy Paxman) you may be right. But the optics are very different...

rex

3 people like this 3 people   

Previous thread: Fixture Complications by Olde School Ks14/4/2023 08:15Fri Apr 14 08:15:26 2023view thread